BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Cosmetic Modifications    M Performance Carbon Spoiler Adhesive?

12-02-2022, 08:14 AM   #1
jimmyf90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
M Performance Carbon Spoiler Adhesive?

I just got the OEM M Performance Carbon Spoiler. I know Betalink is recommended and was originally planning to go that route, but after digging deeper I settled on tape.

I ordered this 3M tapes off Amazon are they they correct type?

Double Sided Tape, Heavy Duty Mounting Tape, 33FT x 0.4IN Adhesive Foam Tape 3M Quality for Home Office Car Automotive Decor https://a.co/d/5iVuino

I'll also use 3M Adhesive Promotor

Finally, on the spoiler, there are 2 red tabs with adhesive — at what point during the install do I remove these?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 10:40 AM   #2
ski1972
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 finally

Done few of these on 3M tape . Adhesive promotor is recommended good step to do . Make sure you do this in warm room . As far a tape you may consider VHB tape a notch better . found this on amazon "3M Scotch 5952 VHB Tape: 1 in. x 15 ft. (Black "
When you do this install, check middle of the spoiler ( in my case I applied double thickness in a middle approximately 10 inches on each side, notice there was no contact in the middle when removed from M550 to M5 ) Also from experience when removing red portion of tape ( 2 people required)

step 1 install lay spoiler the way you want , and tape with blue tape middle through the spoiler and sides outside spoiler evenly distance from eges. .
2. marked line with pen or marker straight from trunk to a spoiler , brake or cut tape on the connection point .
3. clean both sides and apply tape to a spoiler ( remember middle section. )
4. cut red in the middle of the spoiler remove like an inch or two to aside ( so you can pull on this tape) , and align the line you marked on blue tape between trunk and spoiler .
5. work from inside out by slowly pulling red inch by inch and pressing spoiler to a trunk .
is weather is on cool side use heat gun to worm surface be careful not to burn paint .
that is my 2 cents, pretty long. Good luck SKI.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 12:18 AM   #3
Desking101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I wouldn't overthink it. I've had multiple cars using just 3M mounting tape and no adhesive promoter to mount spoilers. All of these cars were driven regularly in 100+ degree weather, and I had some over 170mph and the spoilers didn't budge. People tend to overestimate the amount of downforce these little spoilers provide
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 09:21 AM   #4
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
Hard pass on the beta link. Prep the surface well with adhesive promoter and you’re gtg. And I usually let the 3M tape stick for a day or more before going out.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 03:28 AM   #5
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram TRX F90 M5

I had put side louvers on my bullitt and was paranoid about the 3M not holding up, I ended up using "liquid cement" to hold them on. I believe part of the issue was the fit was not perfect, so some kind of pressure constantly pushing up that the 3M could not compensate for. Don't think it would work in your scenario, but i shared the worrisome feelings of coming home to one of them blowing off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0