BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Totally lost on what can be done with LCI tuning *

08-02-2022, 03:14 AM   #1
bigfra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991s , M5 Comp pack

Totally lost on what can be done with LCI tuning *

Sorry,

I've just picked up my CS and have been out of the loop for a while.

I know this subject will have been done to death but I thought I'd condense it if possible on this thread to try and help.

I understand the ECU is locked, talking to Imran at Evolve (I'm uk based) they can't see them being able to unlock the ECU. So much so that they sent the new M4 they are tuning to the company in Finland for unlocking.

I'm seeing stuff about Dinan, JB4 , racechip, BM3 etc etc but I'm unsure how good or how safe these will be.

I've ordered secondary downpipes but would really prefer to go catless and stage 2 but I honestly have no idea what the best way to do it is.

Well, apart from sending my Ecu's to Finland which I'm not really digging.

Would appreciate any tips and apologies again if this subject has been done to death.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 05:39 AM   #2
nsanity
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

Unlocking the ECU's is required to do anything other than potentially piggybacking.

If you do ship your ECU's - I would strongly suggest that you insure them for replacement value (I just did this for my ECU's).
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 06:21 AM   #3
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfra View Post
Sorry,

I know this subject will have been done to death but I thought I'd condense it if possible on this thread to try and help.

I understand the ECU is locked, talking to Imran at Evolve (I'm uk based) they can't see them being able to unlock the ECU. So much so that they sent the new M4 they are tuning to the company in Finland for unlocking.

I'm seeing stuff about Dinan, JB4 , racechip, BM3 etc etc but I'm unsure how good or how safe these will be.

I've ordered secondary downpipes but would really prefer to go catless and stage 2 but I honestly have no idea what the best way to do it is.

Would appreciate any tips and apologies again if this subject has been done to death.
I hear you, its very frustrating, if you are wanting to mod the car, even just any exhaust work, to make the car sound as it should, because as standard, its a let down imho, compared to even a standard 2018 M5 ?. How does it feel compared to your 992 Turbo S ?. I loved the actual on road feel of the CS compared to an LCI M5. Its the suspension for me that is the real revelation, whatever dampers, spring rates and software they have used in the combination, it is pure magic .
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 07:05 AM   #4
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I got the Carbon piggyback and love it, they also offer the option to cover any engine issues if you
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 07:25 AM   #5
bigfra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Quote:
Sorry,

I hear you, its very frustrating, if you are wanting to mod the car, even just any exhaust work, to make the car sound as it should, because as standard, its a let down imho, compared to even a standard 2018 M5 ?. How does it feel compared to your 992 Turbo S ?. I loved the actual on road feel of the CS compared to an LCI M5. Its the suspension for me that is the real revelation, whatever dampers, spring rates and software they have used in the combination, it is pure magic .
Very different car to the turbo s. Not as quick (mine was ES700 conversion so about 830bhp at the crank) but the CS is so much more fun and has that wow factor as far as I'm concerned.
Plus I can take it in to my work and customers/suppliers are non the wiser and I don't need to hear the usual pish about money etc.

I'd just like a wee bit more from the CS noise and power but I don't want to break the thing 🤦*♂️
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Simon H876.00
      08-02-2022, 07:26 AM   #6
bigfra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter399 View Post
I got the Carbon piggyback and love it, they also offer the option to cover any engine issues if you
Carbon ?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 08:28 AM   #7
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Carbon ?
Assuming he means carbahn, Steve Dinan's latest company.

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 1
bigfra128.50
      08-03-2022, 05:07 AM   #8
bigfra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Is anyone from Carbahn on this site to contact ?
Being in the Uk I can't use the online submission form and I don't see any email
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 07:25 AM   #9
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Carbahn has a website you could look for.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 07:26 AM   #10
bigfra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Carbahn has a website you could look for.
Done that, can't get through on the phone and I can do the online submission as it requires a us phone number
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 09:22 AM   #11
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Done that, can't get through on the phone and I can do the online submission as it requires a us phone number
I have not seen a thread from Carbahn in this forum but the company has posted in the bimmerpost for the F80:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/member.php?userid=372979
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 12:01 PM   #12
JetDriver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet :(

Quote:
From their site:

If your vehicle is currently covered by the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty, CarBahn Autoworks’ products are warranted for the remaining term of the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty. The manufacturer’s new car warranty is limited to 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers in Canada), commencing on the date of first retail sale or the date the vehicle is first placed in-service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is earlier.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 03:22 PM   #13
bigfra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetDriver View Post
Quote:
From their site:

If your vehicle is currently covered by the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty, CarBahn Autoworks’ products are warranted for the remaining term of the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty. The manufacturer’s new car warranty is limited to 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers in Canada), commencing on the date of first retail sale or the date the vehicle is first placed in-service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is earlier.
Emailed them, text them and called them.

Nothing at all, pretty poor customer service as far as I'm concerned :
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 08:38 PM   #14
nsanity
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

Quote:
Emailed them, text them and called them.

Nothing at all, pretty poor customer service as far as I'm concerned :
I can echo that international customers is tough to get in contact.

I just bought "everything they make" for my '18 F90, and I had to ring them to talk during West Coast US business hours - ask for Chris.
Appreciate 1
bigfra128.50
      08-06-2022, 08:40 AM   #15
RS61
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

I've been looking into this for my 2021 LCI Comp and have come to the conclusion that a Jb4 is the easiest option - should get an extra 100bhp or so with minimal hassle, evolve can source and fit although I'm planning to order directly and fit myself. To go beyond that is a giant chasm because things like exhaust, dps, I intake, don't actually meaningfully impact the power, so the next proper step is either shipping the ecu to Finland to unlock, or to start messing around with race fuel mixes, and none of that seems worth the hassle.
Appreciate 2
bigfra128.50
JetDriver108.00