BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #23
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Good discussion so far.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 06:24 PM   #24
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellere View Post
Why the hell were you thinking about that in the shower? I usually think about naked women while I'm showering.
lol +1
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #25
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFastM3 View Post
I respectfully disagree. When the guys at ///M took upon the job of producing the next M3, it wasn't all about squeezing every last bit of HP. They also had to consider how many MPG this car would get, reliability, emissions, ect....

As I'm sure you all know, BMW plans on selling the most M3's in it's history by a long shot. It's an ambitious goal that would never be met if the car was producing 9 MPG and a $2100+ gas guzzler tax. There definitely is a possibility of some serious gains........ but at what cost in reliability & fuel economy?
Just to hit the basics, a chip can do two things to increase full-throttle power. Timing and mixture. You can increase timing by a bit to run only on 93 octane (as opposed to 91 octane), which might be good for a couple of ponies (or not, since the standard software may already be capable of taking advantage of 93). You can probably lean the mixture a bit to gain another couple of ponies, but that's a slippery slope, since lean mixtures may induce more pinging under load, thus activating the knock sensing software and pulling back on timing.

The E46 M3 is a terrific example. One of the most aggressive aftermarket chips out there is from Jim Conforti - marketed by Turner and others as the "Shark Injector". He claims six horsepower.

You should research this, of course, but there are no easy pickings out there anymore for aftermarket chip guys - except for turbo cars, naturally.

Bruce

EDit: PS - Advancing the timing and leaning the mixture will generally get you better efficiency, thus increasing as opposed to decreasing mileage. Of course, running on the ragged edge means you may also grenade your engine even as you're passing by all those gas pumps.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #26
ChrisFastM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Just to hit the basics, a chip can do two things to increase full-throttle power. Timing and mixture. You can increase timing by a bit to run only on 93 octane (as opposed to 91 octane), which might be good for a couple of ponies (or not, since the standard software may already be capable of taking advantage of 93). You can probably lean the mixture a bit to gain another couple of ponies, but that's a slippery slope, since lean mixtures may induce more pinging under load, thus activating the knock sensing software and pulling back on timing.

The E46 M3 is a terrific example. One of the most aggressive aftermarket chips out there is from Jim Conforti - marketed by Turner and others as the "Shark Injector". He claims six horsepower.

You should research this, of course, but there are no easy pickings out there anymore for aftermarket chip guys - except for turbo cars, naturally.

Bruce

EDit: PS - Advancing the timing and leaning the mixture will generally get you better efficiency, thus increasing as opposed to decreasing mileage. Of course, running on the ragged edge means you may also grenade your engine even as you're passing by all those gas pumps.
I'm still driving my E46 M3 to this day just like you & I'm full aware of the S54's limitations. AA tuning is like 30 minutes from my place & I'm running their software, good for 10hp. The shark is the most simple since it can be done by anyone anywhere, not exactly the most hp. This formula does not symmetrically apply to the new V8. I agree with you 100% with your statements ^ but, fact of the matter is mixture is a big thing. Combustion makes the ponies. Plus, the engine has been said to withstand about 445 torque before knocking issues occur if my mind serves me correctly. I agree 50 hp is a little out there but really, I say 30 is more like the number we'll be seeing.

Your a class act Bruce!

Sincerely,
-Chris

PS. Take a look at the new M3's dyno reports. That torque curve looks mighty flat to me. I'm almost 100% sure it's being held back.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #27
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post

This numbers are ridiculous. I guess 10, maybe 20 are possible... maybe! But over 50? never with just a chip...

to get more power i ll mod the car with a new exhaust and maybe a new intake after a year or two. Maybe someday a supercharger or turbocharger ´ll follow... maybe.
Racing Dynamics (http://www.racdyn.com/) have offered to do my ECU and together with the exhaust (that I already have) said they could take it up to 443 bhp!!! 485 bhp is what the M3 Race Version produces but I´m pretty certain they achieve these power levels by using higher octane race fuel, increasing the rev limiter, increasing the compression ratio and increasing firing order and increasing fuel mixture into the combustion chamber. So I think that would probably be the higher limit w/o forced induction and reworking the internals. That is also assuming that the race version engine internal have not been strengthened to withstand the higher moving mass of the piston/crank assembly.
      05-08-2009, 01:16 AM   #28
Sam12345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: jet black 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse Motors View Post
Why the hell were you thinking about that in the shower? I usually think about naked women while I'm showering.
hahahahahaha, maybe he thinks of m3 power, with naked women modeling on it?
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #29
John@BMW
I can't belive this car is a 4 door family sedan.
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan, '96 M3

just looking at the dyno chart tells you that the graph is inaccurate-

hp= torque*rpm/5252

there for, the torque and hp line should always cross at 5252 rpm. Does this one? Check out other dyno graphs.........
      06-04-2011, 03:55 AM   #30
captbilly
Rep
Drives: A6 turbo, TR-8, 740il,

how does one raise the firing order?

[T even know what increasing the firingQUOTE=KonigsTiger;2261782]Racing Dynamics (http://www.racdyn.com/) have offered to do my ECU and together with the exhaust (that I already have) said they could take it up to 443 bhp!!! 485 bhp is what the M3 Race Version produces but I´m pretty certain they achieve these power levels by using higher octane race fuel, increasing the rev limiter, increasing the compression ratio and increasing firing order and increasing fuel mixture into the combustion chamber. So I think that would probably be the higher limit w/o forced induction and reworking the internals. That is also assuming that the race version engine internal have not been strengthened to withstand the higher moving mass of the piston/crank assembly.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by raising the firing order? The firing order is what it is, based on crank and cam, i do not see how one could change the firing order, and i do not even know what increasing the firing order would mean.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #31
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Slow

Please see the thread it's all linked to.

That graph belongs to an m3 with primary decats and a tune from another company in germany who's claims are quite high for everything.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #32
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Way too much HP gain out of an NA car !!
What kind of Dyno was that ?
Is there a baseline Dyno runs compared to the Modefied Dyno runs ?
Tell then,im sorry its BS
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #33
akh23456
All I do is Win... Eat Race Sleep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Range 2011 M3 2019 600lt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Way too much HP gain out of an NA car !!
What kind of Dyno was that ?
Is there a baseline Dyno runs compared to the Modefied Dyno runs ?
Tell then,im sorry its BS
i agree unless he is a sc i dont think its possible as well.

Rs7 : 10.4 133.50 with a 1.7 60ft Toyo R888
F10 M5: 11.308 131.96 with a 1.9 60ft Street Tires
E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #34
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobimmerboy View Post
I know that sounds pretty out there but just take a look at this
Let me guess what else you believe in: The vortex you install in your intake that gives you 10 MPG more. The magic marker that makes scratches down to the metal disappear. And how about a pill that makes your d*ck 6" longer, and the other that makes you loose 100 lbs and get ripped at the same time . Seriously man, that's a waste of bandwidth. And no, I didn't bother wasting my time reading that. A 15% power increase with just a tune is just ridiculous. And you'd have to be pretty darn stupid to flash such crap into your DME, even if it was free. Risk of engine damage is great, and you'd be on your own. And an S65 is not the right engine to experiment with. Good day gang.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #35
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

idk if anyone noticed, but this thread is 3 and a half years old.
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #36
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
idk if anyone noticed, but this thread is 3 and a half years old.
just what i was wondering lolol
Appreciate 0