BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    Baltimore Port Closure: What’s the Impact

03-31-2024, 10:37 AM   #1
Mr. Jonathan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5 Comp

Baltimore Port Closure: What’s the Impact

In light of the recent bridge collapse in Baltimore and closure of a strategic port. What impact do yall see to the used European luxury car market? More specifically, the used BMW market.

I wonder if the impact on importing new models will cause used model prices to increase or at least become stagnant over a longer period of time.

If you have an order in. Please share whether BMW or the dealer has contacted you to inform of an expected delay in delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 06:38 PM   #2
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

I would guess little to no impact on used market. My guess there will be some delays for new cars but nothing crazy. Essentially they need to work out with NJ and SC ports an increased number of deliveries and similar with trucking companies to take them to the dealerships that were covered out of Baltimore. Maybe those two are easier said than done but guessing probably some vast sorted by now.

The main slow down — if I had to guess — would be the processing capacity of the VPCs. Can they staff those up and support a higher load quickly to keep the schedule going?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 01:56 PM   #3
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

This e-mail was sent out a few days after the incident:

Good morning ALCON,

This email is to advise all members and employees that the Baltimore VPC is currently open and operating without any restrictions. We have received a multitude of correspondence via email and phone regarding the tragic event that occurred in Baltimore MD “Key Bridge”. As of right now Baltimore VPC and all other VPC locations on the east coast are operating without any restrictions or delays. Should you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact the Baltimore VPC directly at 667-401-0770.

Thank you very much.

Respectfully,

Jossue Sanabria
Appreciate 1