BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Yes please!!!

10-22-2022, 03:14 PM   #23
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex_Stig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafichicago View Post
I would love to see how this one will end up. The problem with wagon is not battery or anything else for that matter. It's simple math. Look up how much the homologation process cost to sell new car model here in the states if regular wagons like 530s 540s would be sold in higher numbers we would get whatever M wagon would be available since it wouldn't require BMW to pay another 50-80 million USD to introduce it to the market. That's a lot of money that would have to be recouped, before you start making profit. There are not many RS6 or E63 wagons on the road because of the simple fact that allocations are very limited. However keep in mind that Audi and Mercedes they sell their regular wagon versions of those cars that allows them to introduce fast versions of them to our market. Meanwhile BMW doesn't have wagon available in their current lineup for US market. I have never understood SUV phenomenon maybe if we had more than 2 kids that would make sense to me. But that higher seating position is not appealing to me at all. Seems like everyone is in suv those days so everyone is sitting higher in larger car. That kind of defeats the purpose to me at least. So in the meantime I enjoy my NA 63AMG along our M5 👍
Well, from what the inside source who posted the info here (can't remember has name) we are getting the M5 Touring in the US around November of '24 and they are not bringing the non M touring models over.

I think they have previously avoided bringing the wagon over here because they don't want to eat into their most profitable segment (SUVs).
I thought this too, but the last interview with BMWM indicates this isn't a confirmed plan yet.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/a417...wagon-america/
Appreciate 1
Ex_Stig2594.00
      10-22-2022, 03:44 PM   #24
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Trying to understand that thought process. How is bmw worried that any wagon would compete against their own suv market, since wagons never sold well on this side of the pond? Over 50% 3 series in Europe have been sold in wagon form. This type of body was never popular here in the states. They do not make money on them. That's why they're not here. It's just that simple. They don't sell. People want raised vehicles that they can go over curbs in the city without consequences, that are easy to get in and out of. We on forums are mostly enthusiasts. And we are not majority of bmw customers. Not even close. If there was demand for wagons here they would've been sold here. If there's money to be made corporate will do everything to reach for profit. Let's not overcomplicate things
Appreciate 1
AHall981.50
      10-22-2022, 04:39 PM   #25
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

If I was placing a bet today, I would say there is simply no chance we get an M wagon in the USA. I just don't think the economics make sense. I hope I'm wrong, though.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 04:45 PM   #26
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex_Stig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafichicago View Post
I would love to see how this one will end up. The problem with wagon is not battery or anything else for that matter. It's simple math. Look up how much the homologation process cost to sell new car model here in the states if regular wagons like 530s 540s would be sold in higher numbers we would get whatever M wagon would be available since it wouldn't require BMW to pay another 50-80 million USD to introduce it to the market. That's a lot of money that would have to be recouped, before you start making profit. There are not many RS6 or E63 wagons on the road because of the simple fact that allocations are very limited. However keep in mind that Audi and Mercedes they sell their regular wagon versions of those cars that allows them to introduce fast versions of them to our market. Meanwhile BMW doesn't have wagon available in their current lineup for US market. I have never understood SUV phenomenon maybe if we had more than 2 kids that would make sense to me. But that higher seating position is not appealing to me at all. Seems like everyone is in suv those days so everyone is sitting higher in larger car. That kind of defeats the purpose to me at least. So in the meantime I enjoy my NA 63AMG along our M5 👍
Well, from what the inside source who posted the info here (can't remember has name) we are getting the M5 Touring in the US around November of '24 and they are not bringing the non M touring models over.

I think they have previously avoided bringing the wagon over here because they don't want to eat into their most profitable segment (SUVs).
I thought this too, but the last interview with BMWM indicates this isn't a confirmed plan yet.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/a417...wagon-america/
They asked M's top salesman to leak upcoming product info in an interview. If you'll notice, he was tight-lipped about every topic, go figure.

Nothing is confirmed yet, but I wouldn't use posts to this forum (even from our insider), or media interviews as proof/disproof of anything yet.

If you're interested, plunk down your refundable deposit, and continue telling your dealers you want wagons here in the States folks. Money talks, it's that simple

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0