BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    Bmw no longer has your back?

02-15-2024, 08:12 AM   #1
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G11

Bmw no longer has your back?

I am interested in understanding the current dynamics between BMW UK and its retail centres and customers.

Historically, it was known that BMW UK played an unofficial supervisory role, especially in cases where customers faced challenges with retail centres. Instances such as goodwill decisions or PUMA concerns were often directed to BMW for resolution if the retailer was unable or unwilling to assist. This practice contributed significantly to BMW's reputation for excellent customer service.

It has been suggested, through a recent email exchange, that BMW now allows retailers more autonomy in handling customer affairs. While acknowledging that retailers operate independently, I wonder if BMW's oversight in maintaining standards and addressing customer concerns has diminished?

The email shared a statement from BMW stating, "Most of our Centres are independently owned businesses who are responsible for their own sales and service procedures." While this is a valid point, and customers are encouraged to address concerns directly with the retailer, it raises questions about the extent of BMW's involvement in ensuring consistent service quality.

I understand the importance of not overburdening BMW with every minor concern, and I appreciate that retailers operate under their own values and policies. However, I am curious if BMW's role as a final arbiter in certain cases has evolved, or if the perceived oversight remains intact.

It is crucial to maintain a balance between allowing retailers autonomy and ensuring a standard of service that upholds BMW's renowned customer satisfaction. I believe this equilibrium has been a key factor in why many customers, including myself, have been loyal to the brand.

I would appreciate any insights on your perceptions.

I left another brand who made it rather too clear to me that they were not arsed about what happens at retailers.

So Do you feel BMW still have your back and are your retail partners the same warm and friendly places we have come to know and trust?
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2024, 09:38 AM   #2
Andrew2
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M2 OG DCT

Quote:
I left another brand who made it rather too clear to me that they were not arsed about what happens at retailers.
Porsche ?

Have only been a BMW customer for eighteen months, with no experience of the HQ - Dealer relationships etc.

My local BMW dealer is absolutely abysmal hence I purchased a hundred miles South where the dealer - staff are superb

As for any company - retailer `having my back` ... sadly - I trust none of them
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 09:39 AM   #3
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Some details other than one sentence from an email would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 09:47 AM   #4
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

All traditional OEM's are under tremendous financial pressure from EV mandates. Evey aspect of dollars going out is being scrutinized. Good will and taking care of the brand image is a cost center like any other.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1479.00
      02-15-2024, 09:57 AM   #5
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
That one liner from the email is too vague to know if there is anything to worry about. I’m also not from the UK FWIW.

You’d get a similar response from BMWNA depending on how you asked them. As there are laws that prevent the OEM from “controlling” dealerships. As that’s what keeps them independent. Obviously, OEMs have back door ways of controlling them with stuff like allocations, inventory interest rates, holdbacks, etc. But those are all “hands off” legally.

I had an interaction along those lines with Mercedes on my last car. I had a failure of my onboard navigation system and took it into a dealership. They said in their opinion I did something to break it so they wouldn’t cover it under the Mercedes EW I had. That was dumb, but I paid since I had a road trip to be on the next day. I later called MBUSA and complained it was bizarre and dumb. The representative fed me the same line “dealerships are independent and they determine if the warranty applies” blah blah. I was annoyed, but professional with them. Then 3 weeks later I got a call from the dealership GM apologizing for the ordeal and refunding me the repair cost. So obviously, MBUSA interjected.

Might be similar for the UK. Where BMW is giving you a boilerplate legally valid response to stay on the right side of the law, but will step in where they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
All traditional OEM's are under tremendous financial pressure from EV mandates. Evey aspect of dollars going out is being scrutinized. Good will and taking care of the brand image is a cost center like any other.
Not everything is EV related. This thread didn’t talk about EVs at all until you dropped it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 10:04 AM   #6
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Not everything is EV related. This thread didn’t talk about EVs at all until you dropped it.
The auto world is rapidly changing, EV's are a major part of that, to pretend otherwise is unrealistic.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1479.00
      02-15-2024, 10:12 AM   #7
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
The auto world is rapidly changing, EV's are a major part of that, to pretend otherwise is unrealistic.
The auto world is always changing. That’s the nature of a competitive industry.

Even without government mandates for EVs. You’d see BMW changing how it makes its cars and how it builds and cultivates its brand in ways it sees as proper.

Many enthusiasts here hate the loss of a “driver’s focus” of the brand and that goes back decades.

Many enthusiasts complain of the loss the brand’s boutique status to chase “mass appeal” and that goes back a while too.

I get it. You hate EVs. But everything happening you see as “bad” isn’t because of EVs. You can separate the two.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 10:17 AM   #8
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
Porsche ?

Have only been a BMW customer for eighteen months, with no experience of the HQ - Dealer relationships etc.

My local BMW dealer is absolutely abysmal hence I purchased a hundred miles South where the dealer - staff are superb

As for any company - retailer `having my back` ... sadly - I trust none of them
Sorry to hear that.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 10:23 AM   #9
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The auto world is always changing. That’s the nature of a competitive industry.

Even without government mandates for EVs. You’d see BMW changing how it makes its cars and how it builds and cultivates its brand in ways it sees as proper.

Many enthusiasts here hate the loss of a “driver’s focus” of the brand and that goes back decades.

Many enthusiasts complain of the loss the brand’s boutique status to chase “mass appeal” and that goes back a while too.

I get it. You hate EVs. But everything happening you see as “bad” isn’t because of EVs. You can separate the two.
The old pace of change was predictable. The actual bans aren't even the driving factor, it's the insane EPA and EU version of it are adopting emission rules that will be impossible to meet by 2028-30. Brussels response to the auomakers was "you complain to much, figure it out".

So now we have automakers losing billions and spending billions trying to meet insane deadlines for a grid that can't possibly support them and being told by the Green Elite, Tough Shit, guess fewer people will be driving. So yeah, I'm
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 10:23 AM   #10
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That one liner from the email is too vague to know if there is anything to worry about. I’m also not from the UK FWIW.

You’d get a similar response from BMWNA depending on how you asked them. As there are laws that prevent the OEM from “controlling” dealerships. As that’s what keeps them independent. Obviously, OEMs have back door ways of controlling them with stuff like allocations, inventory interest rates, holdbacks, etc. But those are all “hands off” legally.

I had an interaction along those lines with Mercedes on my last car. I had a failure of my onboard navigation system and took it into a dealership. They said in their opinion I did something to break it so they wouldn’t cover it under the Mercedes EW I had. That was dumb, but I paid since I had a road trip to be on the next day. I later called MBUSA and complained it was bizarre and dumb. The representative fed me the same line “dealerships are independent and they determine if the warranty applies” blah blah. I was annoyed, but professional with them. Then 3 weeks later I got a call from the dealership GM apologizing for the ordeal and refunding me the repair cost. So obviously, MBUSA interjected.

Might be similar for the UK. Where BMW is giving you a boilerplate legally valid response to stay on the right side of the law, but will step in where they can.

Really good post - adds some very interesting and enlightening perspective, I had never considered that. How very helpful and potentially short end to the survey!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 10:28 AM   #11
Andrew2
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M2 OG DCT

Quote:
everything happening you see as “bad” isn’t because of EVs. You can separate the two.
I read the initial comment as referring to the fact that the pursuance of EV technology - models is a financial drain on the company, thus affecting other areas - their bottom line
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 10:31 AM   #12
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Another important factor - I would not want to be OEMS right now.

They have a lot on their plate and bothering with someone's stupid over entitled attitude is probably the last of their worries.

This again is strong perspective on change and really and truly the whole model has changed you are correct.

Not that I want to turn this into EV Gate naturally.

Always interesting to cover all aspects of a perception to gather all the facts.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 10:39 AM   #13
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
The old pace of change was predictable. The actual bans aren't even the driving factor, it's the insane EPA and EU version of it are adopting emission rules that will be impossible to meet by 2028-30. Brussels response to the auomakers was "you complain to much, figure it out".

So now we have automakers losing billions and spending billions trying to meet insane deadlines for a grid that can't possibly support them and being told by the Green Elite, Tough Shit, guess fewer people will be driving. So yeah, I'm
BMW AG has over 17 billion euros in net income. BMW hasn’t been driven into the red.

And believe it or not. Irrespective of how sad it makes you feel consumers want EVs. Even without government mandates companies like BMW will need to shift to EVs to be sure they can compete against the vast amount of new entrants into the automotive market bringing them to eager consumers.

BYD went from a no name car maker to close to replacing VW in sales in China due to the market demanding EVs.

Like it or not, China is the market the auto companies care about and it has been for the last two decades.

But let’s keep this topic from going off the rails even more. You have dedicated threads to hate on EVs in. Let’s keep it there.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 10:53 AM   #14
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
BMW AG has over 17 billion euros in net income. BMW hasn’t been driven into the red.

And believe it or not. Irrespective of how sad it makes you feel consumers want EVs. Even without government mandates companies like BMW will need to shift to EVs to be sure they can compete against the vast amount of new entrants into the automotive market bringing them to eager consumers.

BYD went from a no name car maker to close to replacing VW in sales in China due to the market demanding EVs.

Like it or not, China is the market the auto companies care about and it has been for the last two decades.

But let’s keep this topic from going off the rails even more. You have dedicated threads to hate on EVs in. Let’s keep it there.

You're funny, good luck.
Appreciate 0