BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    Loaner car given out in my name

02-09-2024, 10:38 AM   #23
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
so loaners are not reimbursed per each warranty job?
It would make sense that would be the way it's done. However just imagine all the paperwork to go back and forth. Then what portion of the work was warranty and what was additional non-warranty etc.

So they have it setup that warranty or not the dealership isn't losing money by having a loaner available for any and all repairs.

Another thing to add is typically the insurance is setup on loaners that only the loanee is insured. So should an employee get in an accident it's on the dealership not insurance company (well it would be under there umbrella in a worst case scenario). Like we could grab a used or even new car to go grab lunch but a loaner was strictly off limits.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2024, 09:08 PM   #24
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
guys keep in mind loaners are billed and reimbursed by BMWNA

edit: Isay that with 90% confidence, however, loaners are a requirement of BMWNA. regardless of compensation structure
This is incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
BMWNA isn't in the car rental business. The dealership is required to have X percentage of cars in their loaner fleet. They take a car out of inventory assign it to the loaner fleet. They then must have it in the loaner fleet for X long and they get a discount on the purchase of that vehicle. They can then sell that vehicle at a lower price to a customer. Passing on a discount that they got from BMWNA.

I've worked at dealerships that had 225 plus cars in the loaner fleet. What was really crazy was occasionally we would come across a loaner marked for sale that the loaner fleet lost track of and literally had ten or so miles, but were marked for sale at the same savings any other loaner would have with thousands of miles.
Are you referring to BMW dealerships?

I can’t speak with 100% confidence about BMWNA’s loaner rules right now, but ten years ago BMW dealers had the option of whether they wanted to offer loaners. And there was a time where a number of them were opting out.

BMWNA calls it their Mobility Program and they incentivize their dealers to participate. Another part of the program is called the Full Circle Dealer. To be a Full Circle dealer you had to participate in the loaner car program and one of the consequences to not being a Full Circle dealer was a bad effect on your ability to offer CPO cars. I can’t quite remember the consequence, but it was detrimental to your CPO department.

BMWNA provides financial incentives for dealers to offer loaners, but the dealerships have to purchase the loaners and they are titled to the dealership. So, off service loaners are, in fact, used cars. I am not aware of any requirement BMWNA put on the dealers to keep loaners in service for a minimum period of time. At the dealership where I worked our loaners were for sale all the time. They were listed on our website just like all of our other vehicles. It is true the majority of dealers keep most of their loaners in service for roughly a year or 10k - 12k miles. Another category is Demonstrators and demos did have a minimum usage period. They were demos for three months or 5,000 miles. They were not titled at all and they received an automatic three month/5,000 mile extension to the new car warranty. They did have a warranty in-service date of the date they went into service, thus the automatic warranty extension. This is one reason the majority of BMW dealers would CPO their off-service loaners. Because, otherwise they were trying to sell BMWs the consumer considered as an almost new car that was missing a significant amount of new car warranty. Also, it mostly only cost them the CPO program enrollment fee, because there wasn’t enough wear that they had to do any maintenance or make any repairs.

BMWNA tried to make it very disadvantageous for dealers to opt out of offering loaners, but it was not an absolute requirement and I remember Bimmerpost and Bimmerfest forum members getting very unwelcome surprises that some larger dealers you would just assume surely offered loaners but didn’t.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

02-10-2024, 08:15 AM   #25
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

You weren't charged. Everyone is overthinking all of this. .....Isn't there a time and date stamp on the dealer paperwork from picking up your car? .....Use your phone location services to show when you were back at the dealership dropping the loaner. ....Access the dealership cameras from when you dropped it off...
Appreciate 0