BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    4,200 Mile Trip - M5C Rocky Mountain High.......and More

10-18-2021, 08:35 AM   #89
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryivnx View Post
Also took my M5C to ancient bristlecone pine park in Cali
ryivnx Do you have ceramic coating? What color is your M5?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 09:30 AM   #90
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes2m3cs View Post
Amazing post man. Thank you for taking the time to put it all together!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahbatage View Post
This post deserves appreciation simply for the sheer effort it took to make. Thanks for sharing! Great pictures and looked like a fun trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
A great car and a great travelogue. I can understand the sheer amount of effort even for compiling this thread.

Thank you for sharing it with the community.
It becomes a labor of love. Posting 3 or 4 pictures is a snap. This kind of operation requires some strategic thought, mostly just trying to stay organized. Thanks for your thoughts.

[QUOTE=JMD;28153882]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]Day 5: Badlands Loop - 307 miles[/COLOR]

Attachment 2715064

Lot to do today. The Crazy Horse Memorial was just down the road, so we thought we'd take a look at it. Crazy Horse was an Oglala Lakota warrior fighting federal encroachment of native lands, eventually battling Custer at Little Big Horn. The Lakota tribe commissioned the statue on private land in 1948. If completed, it will be over 600 feet long and 500 feet high. After the sculptor died in 1982, the widow took over. When she died in 2014, seven of the children were working for the Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation to help raise funds and continue the work. They have a long way to go.

Photos are nice and sharp,...and look to be captured with a proper dedicated camera vs a cellphone! That said,...I offer this bit of photography tip to make your photos stand out even more,...and that is,...apply some "Rule of Thirds" (RoT) in your composition! Many of the photos you captured are worthy of large printing had you applied RoT in your composition. Also, it's ok to Crop a photo to make it better!

Again,...thanks for sharing!

Edit: Wow! Tons of pics,...soon are very nice,...and again, thanks for sharing~
Thank you for your comments. If you go back through many of the pictures, however, you'll notice many are RoT or RoT"ish"

I took over 1,000 pictures. May were composed in the viewfinder using RoT, many were not. It takes hours and hours to cull them out and determine what's interesting to me and what might be interesting to someone else. Then do the write up and try to upload everything in the right place. Then edit your words and edit your pictures because something isn't right.

There just isn't time to make every picture worthy of large printing - not my goal here. And every picture WAS cropped in some way. Some RoT pics had crap on the outer edges that you don't see in the viewfinder. The subject then becomes more centered after cropping. Oh, well. Some photos were shot with the subject matter dead center or I cropped it dead center because that's how I wanted it.

Now that I've had more time with them, I have started to re-edit some of the photos and in some cases have been getting more dramatic effects. I doubt if I'll upload them, tho, since they won't be hanging in a gallery anywhere. In the end it's still just amateur stuff.

And by the way, all photos are courtesy of my Samsung Galaxy S10. I have a proper camera. This takes better pictures and it fits in my pocket.
Appreciate 1
Jamesmick131.00
      10-18-2021, 03:23 PM   #91
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

[QUOTE=snowbimmer;28154244]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes2m3cs View Post
Amazing post man. Thank you for taking the time to put it all together!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahbatage View Post
This post deserves appreciation simply for the sheer effort it took to make. Thanks for sharing! Great pictures and looked like a fun trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
A great car and a great travelogue. I can understand the sheer amount of effort even for compiling this thread.

Thank you for sharing it with the community.
It becomes a labor of love. Posting 3 or 4 pictures is a snap. This kind of operation requires some strategic thought, mostly just trying to stay organized. Thanks for your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"]Day 5: Badlands Loop - 307 miles[/COLOR]

Attachment 2715064

Lot to do today. The Crazy Horse Memorial was just down the road, so we thought we'd take a look at it. Crazy Horse was an Oglala Lakota warrior fighting federal encroachment of native lands, eventually battling Custer at Little Big Horn. The Lakota tribe commissioned the statue on private land in 1948. If completed, it will be over 600 feet long and 500 feet high. After the sculptor died in 1982, the widow took over. When she died in 2014, seven of the children were working for the Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation to help raise funds and continue the work. They have a long way to go.

Photos are nice and sharp,...and look to be captured with a proper dedicated camera vs a cellphone! That said,...I offer this bit of photography tip to make your photos stand out even more,...and that is,...apply some "Rule of Thirds" (RoT) in your composition! Many of the photos you captured are worthy of large printing had you applied RoT in your composition. Also, it's ok to Crop a photo to make it better!

Again,...thanks for sharing!

Edit: Wow! Tons of pics,...soon are very nice,...and again, thanks for sharing~
Thank you for your comments. If you go back through many of the pictures, however, you'll notice many are RoT or RoT"ish"

I took over 1,000 pictures. May were composed in the viewfinder using RoT, many were not. It takes hours and hours to cull them out and determine what's interesting to me and what might be interesting to someone else. Then do the write up and try to upload everything in the right place. Then edit your words and edit your pictures because something isn't right.

There just isn't time to make every picture worthy of large printing - not my goal here. And every picture WAS cropped in some way. Some RoT pics had crap on the outer edges that you don't see in the viewfinder. The subject then becomes more centered after cropping. Oh, well. Some photos were shot with the subject matter dead center or I cropped it dead center because that's how I wanted it.

Now that I've had more time with them, I have started to re-edit some of the photos and in some cases have been getting more dramatic effects. I doubt if I'll upload them, tho, since they won't be hanging in a gallery anywhere. In the end it's still just amateur stuff.

And by the way, all photos are courtesy of my Samsung Galaxy S10. I have a proper camera. This takes better pictures and it fits in my pocket.
Snowbimmer - Your PM box is full 😉
Appreciate 1
Jamesmick131.00
      10-18-2021, 03:30 PM   #92
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Epic rod trip, amazingly understanding wife - thank you for sharing this with us. I should take my car out west…

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5001.00
      10-18-2021, 03:31 PM   #93
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Poffman

Weird - only had about a dozen. Just deleted most of them.
Appreciate 1
Poffman493.00
      10-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #94
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Poffman

Weird - only had about a dozen. Just deleted most of them.
Weird. Getting this. Anyway - cheers mate!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 06:19 PM   #95
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poffman View Post
Weird. Getting this. Anyway - cheers mate!
Fixed it. Needed to uncheck a box. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
Poffman493.00
      10-19-2021, 11:30 AM   #96
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3mghost View Post
Thanks for speaking highly of Montana
Love Montana. Spectacular countryside, wide open spaces and nice cities, fun speed limits. Too bad it's so cold in the winter
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 11:42 AM   #97
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
So nice to take a break from the dysfunction of Portland!
You don't know the half of it

Once we left Portland, we didn't see any homeless, no tents on city sidewalks, no graffiti (except for the ubiquitous rail car graffitis). Just clean, well run cities. Some places weren't the wealthiest places, but they are full of hard working people.

Started to get the creepy crawlies driving back into PDX along I-84: traffic, tents, mountains of garbage, graffiti, boarded up businesses. Used to be a beautiful city.

I told the wife to pay attention to every place we visit. Ask one question: Could we live here?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #98
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
What's the biggest differences you feel in the G30 M550i and the M5?
This has been discussed all over these forums. The one that cracks me up is "The M550 is not a true M car." Its not supposed to be. It is what it is - BMW just slapped an M in front of the 550. Along with all their other models. Its just another designation. Live with it.

I loved my 550 and M550. They are comfortable and fast. Excellent road cars - great on long, long trips. Way cheaper than the M. But the M is something else. Obviously, the horsepower is probably the main thing. But the suspension upgrades are marvelous. However, I feel one of the most significant upgrades is that you can configure the car 100 different ways, maybe more - I can't figure out the math like I used to. You can put the M550 into sport individual and select how you want to set it up for one button selection. But the M lets you do it for individual parameters - on the fly. 3 engine modes, 3 transmission modes, 6 if you include full manual), 2 steering modes, 3 suspension modes, DSC on or off, 4WD, 4WD rear bias, 2WD. And the myriad combinations to suit your whim or mood. Plus the M1 and M2 buttons - right on the steering wheel so you don't have to look down on the console.

I recently test drove an M850. Really enjoyed it. I miss the rear wheel steering of the M550. Great car. Got back in the M5 and realized I can't drop back down yet, there's too many extra enjoyable goodies on the M. A new M8GC showed up at my local dealer the other day. I'm trying not to go down and test drive it.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:06 PM   #99
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
Not exaggerating when I say this, but this post is literally my favorite all-time post from Bimmerpost.com. Wow! Thanks so much for this!!

I've actually been on road trips to many of these places in the last few years, including to Devils Tower in my X3MC just a few months ago.

Well done, sir
Jeez, thank you. Very high praise indeed. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:11 PM   #100
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Epic rod trip, amazingly understanding wife - thank you for sharing this with us. I should take my car out west…

I drove around in Colorado a few months ago, i swear i could do it once a week as therapy. Absolutely amazing stuff out west (and that was a very small sample size of course)
Appreciate 2
snowbimmer5001.00
Poffman493.00
      10-20-2021, 06:57 PM   #101
saveywil1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘21 F90 M5 Competition

Thanks for taking the time to share! Living vicariously through these kind of trips!
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5001.00
      10-30-2021, 10:24 AM   #102
bonwit904
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

This is the best blog I have seen on Bimmerpost. There is something magic about a great road trip in a great car. It's the best way to see any country.

I just ordered a BHG M5 and the wait is killing me.
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5001.00
      10-31-2021, 08:38 AM   #103
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

This is probably the most interesting post I have read on this forum! What an amazing trip. Enjoying the drive as we explore the beauty all around us is why many of us love cars! This is really amazing and thanks for sharing all the little details about the places you visited. Thank you so much 🙏
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5001.00
      10-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #104
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saveywil1 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to share! Living vicariously through these kind of trips!
Get out there man. Life's too short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonwit904 View Post
This is the best blog I have seen on Bimmerpost. There is something magic about a great road trip in a great car. It's the best way to see any country.

I just ordered a BHG M5 and the wait is killing me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
This is probably the most interesting post I have read on this forum! What an amazing trip. Enjoying the drive as we explore the beauty all around us is why many of us love cars! This is really amazing and thanks for sharing all the little details about the places you visited. Thank you so much 🙏
Wow, thanks guys. In case you missed them, go back to the very beginning of the post. I referenced two other trips. I think Utah might actually be my favorite.

Not sure where I'm going next..............
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 04:42 PM   #105
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Garage List
Your posts (at this stage) are just getting better and better! So happy to have them on my eyes! You're definitely a gorgeous live book with stories, pictures and experiences that amaze me! That's the reason of life to me and the way you illustrate is gorgeous! Very nice details and enhancing all your way to run the posts. Thank you as that also inspire me for something that i just don't know what is. But i know that i want to achieve similar experiences like yours.

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5001.00
      07-01-2022, 01:26 PM   #106
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joao.toscano View Post
Your posts (at this stage) are just getting better and better! But i know that i want to achieve similar experiences like yours.
Hahaha. Something tells me you are doing just fine.
Appreciate 1