BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    NEW RELEASE: Dinan F90 M5 Cold Air Intake & Turbo Inlet Pipes

08-31-2021, 11:41 AM   #23
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Dinan_Engineering

You guys don't ship to Canada? I just tried to order, it won't allow a different country or postal code... Please advise.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 11:52 AM   #24
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E63s AMG Estate

Can you ship to UK and do you need any particular expertise to fit?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 11:58 AM   #25
eric97hoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Just another option for an intake setup. The ones mentioned are probably the most similar however.

They are.

On the inlet product page is where you can find the performance graphs. The CAI on its own after adaptation has no meaningful power gains hence why no chart is included.

We are doing the various octanes you can get direct from the pump (91, 93, 100, 104, and E85). Once you start going into mixes it gets a bit complicated in terms of tuning (really needs to be custom at that point) and emissions testing.

Inlets would work with other intakes (assuming the same mate point which is not always the case) and tunes just fine.
A full e85 tune that is amazing , I feel like however the 100 octane might work better ! The dinan turbo inlets will work with the stock f90 M5 with out the dinan intake correct ?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 12:28 PM   #26
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryInch View Post
Dinan_Engineering

You guys don't ship to Canada? I just tried to order, it won't allow a different country or postal code... Please advise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugsy01 View Post
Can you ship to UK and do you need any particular expertise to fit?
Our website does not allow international ordering. Was a fraud thing for a long time. Been trying to get that re-implemented for far longer then I care to admit. Regardless, you can order directly via phone at 1-800-341-5480 or you could also purchase through any number of online etailers that carry the line (not sure which may have the product loaded yet however). Alternative to both of those is ordering it through your preferred forum vendor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric97hoh View Post
A full e85 tune that is amazing , I feel like however the 100 octane might work better ! The dinan turbo inlets will work with the stock f90 M5 with out the dinan intake correct ?
Correct.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 01:36 PM   #27
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, calling now to place order!

Edit, that # won’t work, it doesn’t ring, then beeps a few times and drops the call. Ive tried numerous times.

Last edited by AngryInch; 08-31-2021 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 10:40 PM   #28
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
On the inlet product page is where you can find the performance graphs. The CAI on its own after adaptation has no meaningful power gains hence why no chart is included.
Thanks for clarifying this point. I am very impressed with the HP and TQ gains demonstrated by the inlet pipes.

However, I am curious about the benefit of the CAI if as you indicate it shows no measurable HP or TQ gains either alone or with the new inlet pipes.

I mean no disrespect, and the CAI looks beautiful, but particularly at $2,000+ I would need to see some significant performance benefit to justify it. Am I missing or misunderstanding something?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 03:39 AM   #29
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep

I think I understand the benefits of the CAI, but from reading the description again, it feels like the benefits are only truly had if you are looking to tune the car, is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 08:40 AM   #30
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post
Thanks for clarifying this point. I am very impressed with the HP and TQ gains demonstrated by the inlet pipes.

However, I am curious about the benefit of the CAI if as you indicate it shows no measurable HP or TQ gains either alone or with the new inlet pipes.

I mean no disrespect, and the CAI looks beautiful, but particularly at $2,000+ I would need to see some significant performance benefit to justify it. Am I missing or misunderstanding something?
Quote:
I think I understand the benefits of the CAI, but from reading the description again, it feels like the benefits are only truly had if you are looking to tune the car, is that correct?
No disrespect taken. The CAI on its own can be a challenge to appreciate as its not a clear cut benefit that can can be seen on a dyno chart. If increasing HP/TRQ is the singular direct goal from an intake on the F90 M5, then there is little reason to upgrade the CAI (regardless of manufacturer) from stock at all.

The factory system flows plenty straight from the factory and can support up to stage 1 power levels handily (lets call that ~750-775 WHP). Now if you are aiming above those types of numbers then the additional flow provided by the intake could translate into some additional power numbers, but the vast majority of the market will never realize that kind of ceiling and the additional flow is just a number to say its better then stock. What that additional flow (w/ additional cooler air) and optimization does allow however is the system to alleviate some of the pressure depression in the stock system and get a bit closer to ambient pressure pre-turbo. Ultimately what this means is the turbos are working less to achieve the same results. Why does this matter? By working less, the turbos effectively gain more headroom and can achieve higher boost levels when tuned. Again, this is mainly an advantage for those running high HP builds though. More importantly to the greater part of the market is that by working less there is less strain on the turbos and temperatures downstream from the turbos are reduced. Both of which increase reliabilty and life span, and in theory, reduce potential repair costs down the road. All of these things are exacerbated when the turbo inlets are added to the mix.

TL;DR - The intake is primarily about optimizing engine efficiencies and looks. If power is your only concern move on to the turbo inlets on their own.

Last edited by Dinan_Engineering; 09-01-2021 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 4
Jamesmick131.00
Holset274.00
wesleyan921402.00
      09-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #31
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
No disrespect taken. The CAI on its own can be a challenge to appreciate as its not a clear cut benefit that can can be seen on a dyno chart. If increasing HP/TRQ is the singular direct goal from an intake on the F90 M5, then there is little reason to upgrade the CAI (regardless of manufacturer) from stock at all.

The factory system flows plenty straight from the factory and can support up to stage 1 power levels handily (lets call that ~750-775 WHP). Now if you are aiming above those types of numbers then the additional flow provided by the intake could translate into some additional power numbers, but the vast majority of the market will never realize that kind of ceiling and the additional flow is just a number to say its better then stock. What that additional flow (w/ additional cooler air) and optimization does allow however is the system to alleviate some of the pressure depression in the stock system and get a bit closer to ambient pressure pre-turbo. Ultimately what this means is the turbos are working less to achieve the same results. Why does this matter? By working less, the turbos effectively gain more headroom and can achieve higher boost levels when tuned. Again, this is mainly an advantage for those running high HP builds though. More importantly to the greater part of the market is that by working less there is less strain on the turbos and temperatures downstream from the turbos are reduced. Both of which increase reliabilty and life span, and in theory, reduce potential repair costs down the road. All of these things are exacerbated when the turbo inlets are added to the mix.

TL;DR - The intake is primarily about optimizing engine efficiencies and looks. If power is your only concern move on to the turbo inlets on their own.
Thank you for that very clear and honest answer. I have great respect for vendors like you who provide hard numbers and clear information.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 01:00 PM   #32
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep

Guess no support with the contact issue...

I was able to order through my local BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 01:28 PM   #33
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for that very clear and honest answer. I have great respect for vendors like you who provide hard numbers and clear information.
Honesty is the best policy and all that (even if it isnt ideal news). Easier to be up front and clear with what someone is getting then telling a lie or a half truth. That just ultimately results in upset people and a greater fallout. Not worth it.

Quote:
Guess no support with the contact issue...

I was able to order through my local BMW dealer.
Totally went right over that post. Sorry about that. Number definitely works though -- been the same main number for at least 10 years. Even if we are closed you should still get the menu recording so I wonder if you just happened to call after hours when a phone system reboot/update or something happened. A bit of a mystery. Regardless, glad you were able to get it ordered through the local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 08:04 PM   #34
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep

I think you guys have been incredibly helpful and responsive, so I would like to thank you for that.

I appreciate the power gains are minimal, but the throttle response and reduction in turbo lag entice me more.

Is that a benefit?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 08:14 AM   #35
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you guys have been incredibly helpful and responsive, so I would like to thank you for that.

I appreciate the power gains are minimal, but the throttle response and reduction in turbo lag entice me more.

Is that a benefit?
Throttle response is more a function of software then hardware but there is some improvement over stock (although it can be argued its placebo given its hard to actually apply a measurement to such a thing other than "feel"). Drive mode (Sport+ vs ECO) and throttle sensitivty tuning/mapping in an aftermarket tune will have a much greater effect on it.
Appreciate 2
Slugsy01157.00
      09-02-2021, 08:39 PM   #36
OTJeebus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3 M8cGC

Will it fit a M8 GC competition? I am looking for more engine/ turbo sound without losing the factory optimization, forget about gaining hp/trq.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 12:11 AM   #37
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
Will these be CARB legal?
Lol
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 12:36 AM   #38
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Lol
What? I asked before you did? You seem like the type that would only buy something from Dinan or BMW anyways LOL

How's the stock life treating you bud?

& btw, looking at your previous posts, you seem to argue about nonsense opinions and pick at people in an annoying & aggressive manner. I think if you'd make some slight changes in your thought process & talked to people with respect, you might have more friends
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 07:47 AM   #39
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTJeebus View Post
Will it fit a M8 GC competition? I am looking for more engine/ turbo sound without losing the factory optimization, forget about gaining hp/trq.
Inlets will fit the M8. CAI we have not had a car in the shop to confirm on. We have little doubt the intake will physically install. The question is in hood clearance and if the M8 has a more aggressive slope to clear the intake. From what I have heard through the grapevine there is at least one shop rolling the dice and trying it...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 05:32 PM   #40
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just for clarity, can you install the turbo inlets without the CAI?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 05:36 PM   #41
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Quote:
On a stock system yes u can. But any after market system probably not apart from Dinan itself.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 1
Slugsy01157.00
      09-03-2021, 05:42 PM   #42
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTATX View Post
Quote:
On a stock system yes u can. But any after market system probably not apart from Dinan itself.
Thanks

I doubt I'll tune my car due to warranty concerns (well not in first year) and am getting an Akraprovic exhaust for sound, so really I'm looking at inexpensive tweaks for performance.
Appreciate 1
GTATX1105.00
      09-03-2021, 08:30 PM   #43
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, calling now to place order!

Edit, that # won’t work, it doesn’t ring, then beeps a few times and drops the call. Ive tried numerous times.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTATX View Post
Quote:
What GTAX said...

Since the question has come up multiple times in this thread already the web page has been updated to reflect known compatibility in the bullet point list of features.
Appreciate 1
Slugsy01157.00
      09-05-2021, 10:46 PM   #44
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Lol
What? I asked before you did? You seem like the type that would only buy something from Dinan or BMW anyways LOL

How's the stock life treating you bud?

& btw, looking at your previous posts, you seem to argue about nonsense opinions and pick at people in an annoying & aggressive manner. I think if you'd make some slight changes in your thought process & talked to people with respect, you might have more friends
Lol, wtf are you talking about. How are you possibly offended by an LOL. Jesus.

And no I don't own a single dinan product (although am waiting on their x pipe to catch back up from backorder). Been Running eventuri for the last year. Probably would have gone with Dinan if it didn't take 4 years to develop.

That ok with you snowflake?
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0