BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #89
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I only read that one piece in the press release that clearly stated the new EDL system become active once the traction control is defeated. This makes sense too, since if it was active along with the ASC, then it would compete with the traction control system, which retards the engine on wheel slip.

Mechanical diffs work by pressure plates sensing slip. That can take more than milliseconds. That's why I did say that I was 'assuming'. Neither of us can say for sure.
Torsen mechanical style differentials are very quick to act because there are no clutches, only gears. They're great for front drive cars but I would want a clutch style for the 135i. The clutch style diffs do take a very small amount of time to lock up depending on how they're preloaded, etc. It's my opinion that the clutch style diff would need to be configured properly in order to work with the 135i's electronic diff. You would want the real diff to lock up fast.. before the electronics sense a problem and decide to apply one of the rear brakes. Of course, that depends on how aggressively BMW tuned the e-diff software, so some testing would need to be done.

There is a guy on here that installed a rear diff with no problems. I believe it's safe to say he installed one with a very aggressive lockup rate.. since he's a race car driver. I don't think there would be a problem unless someone installed a lsd with a very lame lockup rate.
Appreciate 0