BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    2021 M5 competition suspension

08-06-2022, 06:56 AM   #23
engineer2020
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

I have tested the new M5C LCI 2021 model and it was amazing to ride; very comfortable overall. I compared it to the pre-LCI E63 (for which people complained the ride is firm) and the M5 LCI was much smoother than the pre-LCI E63. I would say go and test the LCI but don't test the pre-LCI. I haven't tested the pre-LCI M5
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 09:18 PM   #24
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer2020 View Post
I have tested the new M5C LCI 2021 model and it was amazing to ride; very comfortable overall. I compared it to the pre-LCI E63 (for which people complained the ride is firm) and the M5 LCI was much smoother than the pre-LCI E63. I would say go and test the LCI but don't test the pre-LCI. I haven't tested the pre-LCI M5
Ya we know lol
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 12:24 PM   #25
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

sorry to revive a super old thread. I didn't see a clear answer to this in here, but how does the LCI Comp suspension feel in terms of comfort compares to the PreLCI NON COMP? I only am seeing comp vs comp comparisons.
      12-16-2023, 01:05 PM   #26
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
sorry to revive a super old thread. I didn't see a clear answer to this in here, but how does the LCI Comp suspension feel in terms of comfort compares to the PreLCI NON COMP? I only am seeing comp vs comp comparisons.
I went from pre-LCI Base to LCI Comp, the exact question you are asking.

You can’t even begin to compare the two of you ask me personally in terms of comfort. Pre-LCI base was extremely jerky, no matter what, even in comfort mode. Nothing about it was smooth. You felt everything, for better or for worse. It felt more like a sports car in that regard. Was is a whole lot of power still? Definitely. And you felt every bit of it.

The LCI Comp in Sport+ can still be more comfortable than my previous car was in Comfort. Depending on how smooth you are with laying the throttle down, you feel the power delivery but it’s significantly smoother. Even people around me who have been in both cars that aren’t “car people” always commented on that fact. The LCI feels more like a BMW (the good things) than the base pre-LCI did.

Feel free to PM if you’d like to talk about it!
Attached Images

12-16-2023, 01:09 PM   #27
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks for the reply! It seems like you are mostly talking about the throttle input being more jerky on the pre LCI? I’m mostly curious in comparing compliance over bumps. If you were to compare comfort mode vs comfort mode in suspension is the LCI comp more comfortable over bumps than the pre LCI non comp?
      12-16-2023, 01:19 PM   #28
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! It seems like you are mostly talking about the throttle input being more jerky on the pre LCI? I’m mostly curious in comparing compliance over bumps. If you were to compare comfort mode vs comfort mode in suspension is the LCI comp more comfortable over bumps than the pre LCI non comp?
You’re welcome. Yes, that’s the most noticeable scenario here where you see the difference, that most people don’t talk about for some reason.

To answer your question though, the LCI comp is significantly more comfortable and compliant over bumps and road imperfections. You can’t even begin to compare the difference quite honestly.

I’ll also state this, the LCI Comp is significantly more comfortable in every way over my previous pre-LCI base. For better or for worse — and I say that because some people love to feel the feedback from the road. I DD this car and I certainly don’t want that.

The pre-LCI (even as a base) was the best DD I ever had…until I got the LCI Comp.
      12-16-2023, 01:24 PM   #29
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

That’s super helpful feedback thank you! I wonder how the f80 non comp compares to the f90 pre LCI comp in terms of stiffnes. That’s probably an odd comparison nobody has done but I’m coming from an f80 so am curious how the ride comfort compares.
      12-16-2023, 01:43 PM   #30
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That’s super helpful feedback thank you! I wonder how the f80 non comp compares to the f90 pre LCI comp in terms of stiffnes. That’s probably an odd comparison nobody has done but I’m coming from an f80 so am curious how the ride comfort compares.
The pre-LCI and LCI F90s are the only F chassis cars that I’ve had, so I am not qualified to speak on that. There are however some F80 vs. F90 threads here that may not discuss exactly what you’re asking, but from which you’d likely be able to extrapolate the answer to your question.

Though I have not had an M3 in any iteration, if comfort is the priority, I think any one here who has had both always says the F90 is the more comfortable option.
      12-16-2023, 01:45 PM   #31
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Certainly makes sense thank you!
      12-16-2023, 01:49 PM   #32
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep