BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

Today, 07:04 AM   #8163
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

I feel like if I were the family member / spouse of the officer that got shot (or many others who have also been killed) by the dregs of human society who are just continually released with no consequences...I feel like it would be hard to not take justice into my own hands, since it seems clear the justice system is now just a system. It doesn't feel like it dispenses justice anymore.

I do wonder how long people will put up with it. I understand the system does not want us to perform street justice, nor is it necessarily a good thing, and even Biblically speaking, it says "vengeance is mine, I will repay says the Lord" instructing us not to seek vengeance, but it would still be hard I believe. Very hard.

I hate seeing these posts where officers lose their life to scumbags who ought to be in prison but are not due to our system.
Appreciate 3
Llarry14477.50
cmyx6go15561.50
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      Today, 07:13 AM   #8164
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
I feel like if I were the family member / spouse of the officer that got shot (or many others who have also been killed) by the dregs of human society who are just continually released with no consequences...I feel like it would be hard to not take justice into my own hands, since it seems clear the justice system is now just a system. It doesn't feel like it dispenses justice anymore.

I do wonder how long people will put up with it. I understand the system does not want us to perform street justice, nor is it necessarily a good thing, and even Biblically speaking, it says "vengeance is mine, I will repay says the Lord" instructing us not to seek vengeance, but it would still be hard I believe. Very hard.

I hate seeing these posts where officers lose their life to scumbags who ought to be in prison but are not due to our system.
The term "Justice/system" is very misleading. I suspect if you speak to any victim of crime/violence after they have been through the system, "justice" is not a word they would use to describe the outcome. We have a legal system that has left behind the notion of justice or punishment for the idea of rehabilitation. The sad reality is there is no justice, precious little rehabilitation and the underlying function to keep society safe has long been abandoned.
Appreciate 3
      Today, 07:36 AM   #8165
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
The term "Justice/system" is very misleading. I suspect if you speak to any victim of crime/violence after they have been through the system, "justice" is not a word they would use to describe the outcome. We have a legal system that has left behind the notion of justice or punishment for the idea of rehabilitation. The sad reality is there is no justice, precious little rehabilitation and the underlying function to keep society safe has long been abandoned.
Agreed. Very much so. I may be making this up, but I had thought I learned in Grade 10 law class that the law was originally based on common sense (long time ago). If true, it no longer is.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:43 AM   #8166
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Agreed. Very much so. I may be making this up, but I had thought I learned in Grade 10 law class that the law was originally based on common sense (long time ago). If true, it no longer is.
Most of the laws in North America are based on British Common Law, which takes a lot of its principals from Christian religion and values. If you look at the principals of laws, at least early laws, common sense certainly seemed to be a cornerstone principle.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:58 AM   #8167
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
This is spot on. To add to it, recidivism already demonstrates rehabilitation is nearly non-existent. Rehabilitation gets pushed because those in power want instability. It’s intentional.
Appreciate 0