BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos    New Cannonball Record: 27 Hours 25 Minutes

12-05-2019, 06:46 PM   #23
SenorRoadRage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 BSM F82

I think the biggest risk here is someone changing lanes in front of you, not knowing you're speeding and thinking they have plenty of space to do so.

Most drivers see a car in the distance in their rear-view and assume it's going the speed limit and therefore they believe they have time to change lanes in front of it. If it's not driving the speed limit, the car obviously closes that gap much more quickly and a rear-end collision can occur.

Being a motorcyclist that has from time to time broken a speed limit or two, I understand the danger here. I also understand the allure of breaking a record and being the best at something for the time being. Making a legacy I guess...
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2019, 07:01 PM   #24
stbm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 DG

good for them. that's fantastic and a hell of an achievement. no doubt its a high risk endeavor but it isn't easy...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 11:56 PM   #25
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I can’t imagine driving that fast for so long. I wouldn’t have the balls to do it. You pretty much have to be willing to risk jail time, having the car impounded/confiscated, and of course...dying. The biggest risk is definitely somebody pulling out in front of you in the left lane, which happens even on the Autobahn, and it’s damn scary when it happens. Aside from that, wild animals are a huge concern at that speed. I would think it would also be very fatiguing to drive at those speeds for many hours in a row, especially in the dark!
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      12-06-2019, 01:38 AM   #26
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Your logic effectively bans risky behavior. So tell us: Who defines such behavior? Laws almost never do specifically. Why? Because they can't.

Sorry, but if someone builds a tall building, someone's going to wanna try to climb it. Spider-man is a manifestation of this fantasy. Tightrope walkers are another. Henry's, the Wallenda clan, etc. are proof. Again: It is human nature to dream, and to push limits.

I get where you're coming from. That said: Hooning about in rural America is more dangerous to yourself than to anyone else. I see that you're in the U.K. Come visit, and see for yourself. I've driven on roads in my home state (Texas) on which I've not encountered another car for 50 miles -- and I've experience similar isolation in several other places here.

No, plainly you're not. It's one thing to do 150-plus in a metro area, even if you're a skilled driver. That's risky (so you do 100 -- which, when others are likely doing 80ish, isn't that much faster). It's another to do that in areas that have a population density only comparable to the Alps, Lapland, or Iceland in Europe.

On this, we can agree.
So they only broke the speed limit when there was nobody else around? The article said that's not the case.

Climbing a tall building (presumably without protection) is a selfish thing to do, regardless of whether or not there's a risk of harming a bystander. Alex honnold is incredible, but he is selfish. Ask his mom, ask his girlfriend. The flip side is he'd probably go insane if they stopped him... Whichever way, at least the risk to people who aren't connected with him is utterly minimal.

I agree it's difficult to define risky in all situations. So I don't think all risks should be banned. However, there is a set of guidelines on risks on the road - they're called laws. Doing over the speed limit? You're increasing the risk to yourself *and/or those around you* to an unacceptable level, as defined by a group of people who have considered it initially, and society in general who accept these limits.

Let me ask you this: you're driving along at 30 in a 30 limit, and a 5yo kid steps out right in front of you. Nothing you can do about it. No time to evade it. You flatten them; dead on the spot. It's devastating, and a nightmare situation, but you were doing nothing outside of the laws which society accepts....... Now imagine the same event, but you were doing 40 in the 30 zone, just for a kick. How would you feel about your actions then?

I'd love to come to the US and visit some of your wide open spaces. The UK is vastly overcrowded (though I'm happy with EU and other immigration). I'm originally from the Scottish highlands, which overall is the least densely populated area in the UK...I miss the solitude a lot. It's true that if I was to intentionally speed anywhere, I'd do it as far away from people as possible (not very far, compared with the US), but it's still indefensible, morally and legally.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 04:59 AM   #27
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
If you have a ruptured artery, it needs to be fixed pronto. But you already have a ruptured artery, so the risk is already there. If these guys didn't race across the country, they absolutely certainly would never kill anyone by racing across the country.

Yeah, mountain climbers should stick to mountains - believe me, it's way more fun that way!!! *And you're only likely to kill/injure yourself and those who have specifically agreed to the heightened risk of taking part in that activity.* Asterisks for importance. That part is my point.

You want to hoon about in your car and there is no risk of harming someone who is just trying to go about their day? Sweet, have a great time!...... You want to hoon about in your car but in doing so you are significantly increasing the risk of harming innocent bystanders? No. Don't be selfish.

I'm all for folk having fun. I'm even more for folk pushing limits and boundaries competitively. But I am strongly against these things if they are damaging (or heighten the risk of damage) to people around them who don't want to be involved.

And will someone please revoke the license of this damn soccer mom who keeps driving while distracted!! I totally agree that distracted/disinterested/incompetent drivers are by far the biggest risk. Partly because there are so many of them.
So they hit a max speed of 193. Probably for an instant. We don't know where they hit said velocity. No offense meant, but have you ever been out West in the United States? It is quite open. I'd imagine the Benz needed a few miles to hit that number, and out West there are abundant miles of straight, level, and minimum-access roads to make such a feat happen.

They averaged 103 MPH, which is about 15 to 20 MPH faster than the ambient high-density traffic you will find on most East Coast USA interstates. And that dense traffic is dense in two ways: (1) a lot of cars in one place; and (2) 50% are distracted and depending on their collision-avoidance systems to allow them to be distracted.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      12-06-2019, 06:32 AM   #28
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

No, I haven't been. Yes, I'm well aware there are big, open, empty roads.

I've made my point about what I think is bad about it, and why I think it's bad. To each, their own though. I'm glad they made it safely (having undertaken it), and it is impressive. I do think it's selfish, and that's why I won't be doing anything similar, even if I had the car, money... open roads etc.

Peace.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 03:34 PM   #29
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

The record is getting quite dangerous and it would be a shame if these guys took someone out. Unfortunately we live in a giant complicated world and these guys are the LEAST of your problems if you are concerned about avoidable dangers to humans.

Also, it's worth noting that the people who set these records are vastly smarter than anyone in this thread and also much better drivers.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 06:12 AM   #30
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
The record is getting quite dangerous and it would be a shame if these guys took someone out. Unfortunately we live in a giant complicated world and these guys are the LEAST of your problems if you are concerned about avoidable dangers to humans.

Also, it's worth noting that the people who set these records are vastly smarter than anyone in this thread and also much better drivers.
* note to self... take this with a grain of salt...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2019, 08:10 AM   #31
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

No risk, no reward!

If society was truly worried about speeders, they would pass laws limiting a vehicles speed, period! With today's technology, it could even be built into roadways, etc. Anyways... We don't, and manufactures take full advantage. 700hp production runs on street vehicles is proof.

Anyways, simply an amazing feat! Only possible due to the LE avoidance counter measures used. Two take aways I like, and affirmation I made a good choice on another.

1. Plane Avoidance System for detecting plane speed control surveillance. Lol... Will have to read up on that one.

2. Brake Light disconnect switch! Awesome and doable!!! Nuff said...

3. I have and swear by the Uniden Radar Detector. I have the older R3, but don't feel the directional arrows are needed that come with the newer R7 they used. This detector has been spot on since I've owned it.

Anyways... No mention of stopping, even for gas? Bathroom? Lol. 24 hours without stretching the legs is tough stuff!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:01 AM   #32
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Last edited by zx10guy; 12-12-2019 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0