BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Keep stock parts or sell?

11-26-2019, 12:31 AM   #1
cream
Private
Rep
Drives: 19' BSM M5

Keep stock parts or sell?

What did you guys do with your stock exhaust/DP/MP/instakes etc etc after you modded? Did you keep them to reinstall in case you want to sell the car as stock one day or did you sell them? Does owning vs leasing affect your decision to do so?

I'll probably keep the stock catted pipes just because that may help with resale down the road just in case some less enthusiastic driver does not want to set off car alarms every cold start (currently straight pipe)..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:44 AM   #2
northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 2019

I see you mentioned owning vs leasing. Beware of leasing because when you return car at lease end - any mods may be deemed unauthorized modification of the vehicle and you could be on the hook / responsible for buying a new stock exhaust ( with install ) or an equivalent amount for reimbursement to lessor for same if they decide to for the lease agreement to the letter. I’d keep the exhaust on hand for that reason if a lease.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

I always keep them, just in case the part fails, I have a back up.
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5717.50
      11-26-2019, 08:06 PM   #4
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

I keep it... Reverting back to stock at lease end or in my case, warranty repair and bmw requested stock parts back on for testing purposes...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:39 PM   #5
cream
Private
Rep

Thanks for the input guys looks like I'm keeping everything and revert back to stock when I do decide to part ways with the vehicle which probably won't be for awhile, it's currently my DD and I love it!

Originally I didn't want to eat the cost of labor of reverting back to stock since it'd be similar to paying for install all over again but hey, gotta pay to play I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I keep it... Reverting back to stock at lease end or in my case, warranty repair and bmw requested stock parts back on for testing purposes...
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of warranty repair testing would require me to put my stock pipes/exhaust/intakes back on?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:42 PM   #6
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream View Post
Thanks for the input guys looks like I'm keeping everything and revert back to stock when I do decide to part ways with the vehicle which probably won't be for awhile, it's currently my DD and I love it!

Originally I didn't want to eat the cost of labor of reverting back to stock since it'd be similar to paying for install all over again but hey, gotta pay to play I guess.

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of warranty repair testing would require me to put my stock pipes/exhaust/intakes back on?
Something out of the normal scope... They updated software and it completely changed my car... Sound (way louder, pops and burbles sound like shotgun blasts) steering was much tighter, especially in sport / sport+ and throttle sensitive / twitchy...

They had to escalate up the food chain because dealerships have zero to do with the programming of software - so I'm assuming it was BMW N.A or BMW Germany...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:45 PM   #7
cream
Private
Rep

Quote:
Something out of the normal scope... They updated software and it completely changed my car... Sound (way louder, pops and burbles sound like shotgun blasts) steering was much tighter, especially in sport / sport+ and throttle sensitive / twitchy...

They had to escalate up the food chain because dealerships have zero to do with the programming of software - so I'm assuming it was BMW N.A or BMW Germany...
Interesting, does this software update exist for the F90 or was this on a different platform you previously experienced? Everything you described would be right up my alley if something existed for the F90 that could be done at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:15 PM   #8
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream View Post
Quote:

Interesting, does this software update exist for the F90 or was this on a different platform you previously experienced? Everything you described would be right up my alley if something existed for the F90 that could be done at the dealer.
It was for F90... They have since removed said software... Although I heard from SA that it also effected a handful of F8x's as well...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:37 PM   #9
mgod
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m4 csl 992 turbo S

Garage List
I'm selling msr intake m performance exhaust and Keller upper and lower pipes 🤘🏽
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 10:47 AM   #10
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

I'd suggest always keeping the factory parts to reinstall when you sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #11
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
I'd suggest always keeping the factory parts to reinstall when you sell the car.
Agreed. Personally I wouldn't want to buy a car I knew was modified. Especially a BMW. I've been looking at E46 M3's and 996 Porsche Turbos recently; the ones that are all stock are much more desirable and go for more money.
2023 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Appreciate 0