BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    F90 M5 vs F90 M5

10-14-2019, 04:34 AM   #1
Bmw.mozambique
Rep
Drives: M5 F90 Competion

F90 M5 vs F90 M5

Hi everyone,

Firstly I hope this thread is in the right section.

Secondly I'm curious to know if there is any performance variance from a stock M5 F90 to another stock M5 F90? What causes it? Does newer MY models get faster?

Regards
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 12:17 AM   #2
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 ZR1

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
The driver and their skill level.
Aside from that, yes every car will be different and some are faster than others, although the difference will likely be negligible. There can be a lot of different factors, but mostly it's just due to variance in production. BMW does not intentionally make the newer model year any faster than the previous as long as they are the same model and package. A standard M5 will not be as fast as a M5 Comp, but same to same the difference will likely only be noticed when you factor in the drivers ability in the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 01:11 AM   #3
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

There will be performance variances. It is impossible for BMW or any manufacturers to make every M5 having the exact same horsepower and drivetrain loss.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:20 PM   #4
Stealth7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: No BMWs Right Now!

Manufacturing tolerances are very tight now so there really should be no "hero" cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #5
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
Manufacturing tolerances are very tight now so there really should be no "hero" cars.
That's what we strive for but cannot achieve. I'm in the automotive industry, and is a supplier to BMW. Parts in testing even made in the same batch will have variances in performance, and some by quite a bit.

Two autobild test on the M6 coupe. One test was in 2014 on the 575HP M6 CP it ran 0-300km in the 30 second range while in 2016 the 600HP M6 CP ran 35 seconds plus. Sure it wasn't tested on the same day but 5 seconds differences? And the 600HP was actually the slower one?

I do not believe differences are negligible, there bound to be some cars that are faster or slower.
Appreciate 1
DCT OFF61.50
      11-02-2019, 06:46 PM   #6
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
That's what we strive for but cannot achieve. I'm in the automotive industry, and is a supplier to BMW. Parts in testing even made in the same batch will have variances in performance, and some by quite a bit.

Two autobild test on the M6 coupe. One test was in 2014 on the 575HP M6 CP it ran 0-300km in the 30 second range while in 2016 the 600HP M6 CP ran 35 seconds plus. Sure it wasn't tested on the same day but 5 seconds differences? And the 600HP was actually the slower one?

I do not believe differences are negligible, there bound to be some cars that are faster or slower.
I'm a big believer in what we always called "Monday cars" If you guys aren't familiar with the term, it means the car was built on a Monday when the guys were fresh and doing a better job..lol

I have had a few Monday cars and street bikes and a couple not so. I also believe that a lot has to do with how guys break in the toys. Not so much in cars but when I was riding street bikes they had very strict break in rules that I'm only recently seeing in cars.

The problem is that most people will just sit at 2-4k rps and almost wear grooves and smooth spots in those areas. So once the car/bike is broken in it's a bit limited or struggles to be a smooth at the high RPM's as things tighten up.

(Set the rings)

I'm all for breaking in my toys the way I plan to drive them. With some common sense of course. I don't race them around per say but I make sure to use all of the power band and RPM's but I shift and don't hold high RPM's either. In a perfect world I want my RPM's going up and down as much as possible during break in with cool down periods in between.

Turns out, I have in most cases ended up with the "Monday" bike or car over the years. Could be luck, could be how I break them in. Who knows. Just my two pennies

Race cars go out on fresh engines constantly, I have also had a few high end sand rails and other custom motors built and they have never told to me take it easy on break in. Maybe I'm wrong which is why I'm still somewhat careful. But, why is it that street bikes have always had break in rules and now faster cars? Why not the 330i? Conspiracy theorist would suggest that it's because they don't want us to kill ourselves in the first week and it gives us time to slowly get used to the car. Which is actually smart!
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires

Last edited by Hockeytyme; 11-03-2019 at 01:49 AM..
Appreciate 2
shoei7778.00
      12-04-2019, 07:40 AM   #7
Rusty34
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M-Sport, 2015 X1

You may be right about that. Breaking in is more for the driver, not the car? I'm in the racing business and we can put a fresh engine on the dyno with no warm up time except for the oil and it will produce its best numbers right then and there. Modern precision manufacturing and finishing processes I guess.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2019, 11:24 PM   #8
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytyme View Post
I'm a big believer in what we always called "Monday cars" If you guys aren't familiar with the term, it means the car was built on a Monday when the guys were fresh and doing a better job..lol

I have had a few Monday cars and street bikes and a couple not so. I also believe that a lot has to do with how guys break in the toys. Not so much in cars but when I was riding street bikes they had very strict break in rules that I'm only recently seeing in cars.

The problem is that most people will just sit at 2-4k rps and almost wear grooves and smooth spots in those areas. So once the car/bike is broken in it's a bit limited or struggles to be a smooth at the high RPM's as things tighten up.

(Set the rings)

I'm all for breaking in my toys the way I plan to drive them. With some common sense of course. I don't race them around per say but I make sure to use all of the power band and RPM's but I shift and don't hold high RPM's either. In a perfect world I want my RPM's going up and down as much as possible during break in with cool down periods in between.

Turns out, I have in most cases ended up with the "Monday" bike or car over the years. Could be luck, could be how I break them in. Who knows. Just my two pennies

Race cars go out on fresh engines constantly, I have also had a few high end sand rails and other custom motors built and they have never told to me take it easy on break in. Maybe I'm wrong which is why I'm still somewhat careful. But, why is it that street bikes have always had break in rules and now faster cars? Why not the 330i? Conspiracy theorist would suggest that it's because they don't want us to kill ourselves in the first week and it gives us time to slowly get used to the car. Which is actually smart!
Interesting. What "break-in" rules do you follow?
      12-04-2019, 11:32 PM   #9
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Interesting. What "break-in" rules do you follow?
I broke my car in kinda hard. I was very easy for about 150 miles not revving above 5k.

After that I drove it fairly hard from time to time. Almost just like normal. I even did a couple 1/4 mile runs for baseline numbers.

My goal was to keep the RPMs moving up and down. Obviously there is times where it's at one RPM on the freeway for some time but I tried to get on it now and then. Just don't hold a high rpm. Let it wind out and shift
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #10
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytyme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post

(Set the rings)

Some truth to that. I work in manufacturing and can see the difference.

Hope I don't get the car from Friday

Everyone is doing short cut on Friday and can't wait to get out
      12-23-2019, 04:53 PM   #11
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

It also depends on how many Heineken's were had the night before
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2019, 01:41 PM   #12
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
It also depends on how many Heineken's were had the night before
I worked for a Tier 1 parts supplier and we did a statistical analysis on defect rate. Consistent with the above comments, defect rate on Friday was magically lower.
Appreciate 0