BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The Sports Lounge    2019/2020 Hockey Thread

09-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #1
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

2019/2020 Hockey Thread

Alright, training camps starting soon, preseason.... a hint of chills in the air, kids are back in school. Hockey season is coming!!!

After a summer of partying and fun, does St. Louis have what it takes to repeat? (I guess no...)

Some big names still unsigned. (Thornton and Marleau are done, I think.) Marner, Rantanen, and Laine would make nice additions to any team. After the Aho offer sheet earlier in the summer, I thought someone else would be offer sheeted as well.

And my beloved Caps? Niskanen to Philly for Gudas was interesting. A salary cap move, but yet the Caps are still OVER the Cap by over $1M...

Anyone else as excited as me to get back to hockey?!>!? !
      09-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Well, of course Thornton goes and signs to play one more year right after I post that! HAHAHA
      09-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
LA Kings remain relatively the same. Seems like we did pretty good in the draft including getting Alex Turcotte so who knows, we might get into the playoffs!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Well, of course Thornton goes and signs to play one more year right after I post that! HAHAHA
Glad they did--while he has a small role at this point as a player he has a big role as an on ice/locker room "coach."
      09-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
LA Kings remain relatively the same. Seems like we did pretty good in the draft including getting Alex Turcotte so who knows, we might get into the playoffs!
'king guys
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #6
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
'king guys
New coach should get you to the playoffs. Not sure beyond that. IDK who you would bump out as well - maybe Dallas? I see them and Vegas sliding a bit this year.
      09-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #7
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

The lack of an increasing salary cap is affecting RFAs and UFAs in a big way:

From NHL.com - "Marner is not the only high-profile restricted free agent forward who remains unsigned. Mikko Rantanen of the Colorado Avalanche, Matthew Tkachuk of the Calgary Flames, Brayden Point of the Tampa Bay Lightning, Patrik Laine and Kyle Connor of the Winnipeg Jets, and Brock Boeser of the Vancouver Canucks also remain without a contract."

I'm hoping that there is not another lockout at the end of the CBA, but this does not look promising...
      09-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #8
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
The lack of an increasing salary cap is affecting RFAs and UFAs in a big way:

From NHL.com - "Marner is not the only high-profile restricted free agent forward who remains unsigned. Mikko Rantanen of the Colorado Avalanche, Matthew Tkachuk of the Calgary Flames, Brayden Point of the Tampa Bay Lightning, Patrik Laine and Kyle Connor of the Winnipeg Jets, and Brock Boeser of the Vancouver Canucks also remain without a contract."

I'm hoping that there is not another lockout at the end of the CBA, but this does not look promising...
Interesting. Read up on this issue a little bit. The Kings are projected to have about $7m in cap space. Would love to sign one of these high end UFAs like Mikko or Laine. Thoughts on our ability to do this?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #9
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Will be interesting to see how the Pens are without Kessel...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #10
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Will be interesting to see how the Pens are without Kessel...

Kessel's intro video with Coyotes was pretty funny. LOL
      09-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #11
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Mitch Marner 6x$10.93M to stay in Toronto.

Salary cap hell in ....
      09-17-2019, 07:27 AM   #12
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Boeser signed...

https://www.nhl.com/news/brock-boese...?tid=281072352

I am wondering if Laine will wait until as late as possible like Nylander last year.

At the same time, NHLPA says it will not opt out of the CBA after this year. So, there is stability for a little bit longer.
      09-17-2019, 09:08 PM   #13
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Kessel's intro video with Coyotes was pretty funny. LOL
You'll need to link it...I'm coming up empty in my searches.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:42 AM   #14
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
You'll need to link it...I'm coming up empty in my searches.
Here you go:

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.co...izona-coyotes/

09-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #15
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I can't wait for NCAA DIV I hockey to start. Been a loyal BU Terrier fan since 1986.

This used to be one of my favorite chants: Go BU. Beat BC. They suck $hit.
      09-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #16
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

ESPN app alerts had it SO messed up last night, and I couldn't find the 'king guys on TV. First I see 'king losing 3-0. Then I get an update they won 4-1. Then a minute later they lost 5-0. I STILL don't know WTF happened All this time I'm trying to finish painting my kitchen, there might be a few expletive paint splatters on walls.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 07:58 AM   #17
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Point signs - but is out - had hip surgery.

Byfuglien healthy, just not showing up to camp and not retiring. Now suspended by Jets.

I post this to say - regular season is about one week away!
      09-26-2019, 07:25 AM   #18
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Tkatchuk signed. Penguins looking to trade a goalie (per NHL.com). I was wondering if the Caps are looking to trade a goalie as well. I feel like the market for goalies is not that strong right now. Plenty of teams seem well set up in net - except maybe Calgary.
      09-30-2019, 08:04 AM   #19
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Oh man... real hockey starts this week!
      09-30-2019, 11:05 AM   #20
Ralph335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335xi M-Sport

Excited for real hockey to be back. First full season of supergoalie Carter Hart, Provorov and Konency signed, actually have a good coach behind the bench, Hayes looking like a great 2C, Niskanen and Braun looking good with the young guys on defense. This could actually be a good season!
      10-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #21
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

It's game day!!! Good luck to all the undefeated teams out there! haha

Kane suspended only three games seems ridiculous to me. He's a repeat offender, correct????
      10-02-2019, 08:15 AM   #22
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph335 View Post
Excited for real hockey to be back. First full season of supergoalie Carter Hart, Provorov and Konency signed, actually have a good coach behind the bench, Hayes looking like a great 2C, Niskanen and Braun looking good with the young guys on defense. This could actually be a good season!
I think Philly will be a much better team this year. They were trending towards the playoffs last year at the end, just ran out of games. Having a real goalie will be huge. I am interested to see how Niskanen does. Love him from his time with the Caps - he was good on his own, but also provided a lot of leadership and mentoring to our younger D.