BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Software updates - anyone recently?

12-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #89
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmpower View Post
My M5 with the M sports exhaust system without GPF has received the update yesterday.

The encoders, favorites, M button settings, etc. are all gone but ASD stayed off.

I noticed immediately that the steering wheel behavior and the throttle response are different. Unmistakable is the noise of the new M sports exhaust system on Sport Plus with open flap. Pops and burbles till ca. 70 km/h. At higher speed no pops and burbles anymore.

I'm surprised about the new noisy setup for lower speed after the software update. I will do a new dyno test with summer tires in spring and hope that the noise also has a positive impact on performance.

My dealer has told me that there will be a new update next year, where more optimizations will be made. Let's wait and see what's coming and who knows, maybe a more beautiful sport display come to life. Currently the display look like a sphygmomanometer. 😎
Are there any 2020 MYs experiencing these changes?

Aside: I find it very odd that Europe is shutting down the exhaust pops and bangs and here you guys are probably happy with what you already had, you get an unrelated SW update and the exhaust gets louder among other possibly unnecessary behavior changes that nobody I know complained about. Very weird. :
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #90
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
My M5 with the M sports exhaust system without GPF has received the update yesterday.

The encoders, favorites, M button settings, etc. are all gone but ASD stayed off.

I noticed immediately that the steering wheel behavior and the throttle response are different. Unmistakable is the noise of the new M sports exhaust system on Sport Plus with open flap. Pops and burbles till ca. 70 km/h. At higher speed no pops and burbles anymore.

I'm surprised about the new noisy setup for lower speed after the software update. I will do a new dyno test with summer tires in spring and hope that the noise also has a positive impact on performance.

My dealer has told me that there will be a new update next year, where more optimizations will be made. Let's wait and see what's coming and who knows, maybe a more beautiful sport display come to life. Currently the display look like a sphygmomanometer. 😎
Are there any 2020 MYs experiencing these changes?

Aside: I find it very odd that Europe is shutting down the exhaust pops and bangs and here you guys are probably happy with what you already had, you get an unrelated SW update and the exhaust gets louder among other possibly unnecessary behavior changes that nobody I know complained about. Very weird. :
That is 100% accurate, lol... I had it all dialed in the way that I like my sound - it's all back to stock now, minus the intakes (that do nothing really to contribute to the farts and pops)...

Still sounds like call of duty shotgun blasts and it's a little bit obnoxious...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #91
Hashtag_M_Rated
///M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 First Edition M5

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
And all this time I thought it was just the car exhaust changing sounds overtime by itself! But now thinking about it, it was after some software update they did while scheduled maintenance lol! I love it though and can't complain and hope it never go back in any future updates they do lol
      12-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #92
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashtag_M_Rated View Post
And all this time I thought it was just the car exhaust changing sounds overtime by itself! But now thinking about it, it was after some software update they did while scheduled maintenance lol! I love it though and can't complain and hope it never go back in any future updates they do lol
If your car was stock, then yes... For those that modified, it may not be as welcome lol
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 10:37 PM   #93
dmmpower
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Quote:
If your car was stock, then yes... For those that modified, it may not be as welcome lol
It is a fact that if you have a modified car with flashed ECU all modifications will be resetted.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 11:08 PM   #94
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It is a fact that if you have a modified car with flashed ECU all modifications will be resetted.
This makes no sense at all...

How the heck is a software update going to revert the car back to "stock" and reset all sounds back to stock? Listen to what you're saying - you can put aftermarket exhaust / down pipes and you're claiming it's facts that the écu software will reset everything? The fuck would be the point of putting an exhaust / DP or other mods to the car then?

It doesn't even make sense logically let alone physically... I dislike it when people say shit like - "it's facts..." and giving people misinformation like that...

Unless you have a different interpretation as to what "mods" mean?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 11:09 PM   #95
dmmpower
Private
No_Country
Rep

Does anyone know if this software update has a negative impact to tuning boxes (e.g. JB, Speedbuster, Racechip, etc.)?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 11:12 PM   #96
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone know if this software update has an impact to tuning boxes (e.g. JB, Speedbuster, Racechip, etc.)?
All software updates through the dealer via the écu would effect any piggyback or tune... Piggy backs would need to be removed before dealer update and if you have dme? You're fucked, it'll be wiped...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 11:42 PM   #97
dmmpower
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Does anyone know if this software update has an impact to tuning boxes (e.g. JB, Speedbuster, Racechip, etc.)?
All software updates through the dealer via the écu would effect any piggyback or tune... Piggy backs would need to be removed before dealer update and if you have dme? You're fucked, it'll be wiped...
That's unfortunately the case that a new software update will wipe all software modifications even if they are not affected to performance. With a piggy back only perfomance modifications related to the values modified from the tuning box should be affected. The dealer as well as me don't exactly know what they have done in this area. So my question remains unanswered.

I remove my box and connect the adapter to the wire harness on every technical dealer visit.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 11:52 PM   #98
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's unfortunately the case that a new software update will wipe all software modifications even if the are not affected to performance. With a piggy back only perfomance modifications related to the values modified from the tuning box should be affected. The dealer as well as me don't exactly know what they have done in this area. So my questioj remains unanswered.

I remove my box and connect the adapter to the wire harness on every technical dealer visit.
In terms of your question it only effected a handful of f8x's and f90's before bmw yanked that particular software update... Nobody knows because those who complained have an open ticket so highly doubtful anyone will tune their car while open ticket exists...

Doesn't matter anyways, that software update doesn't exist anymore anyways...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 12:30 AM   #99
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Errr, no--you're making wayyyy too wide a sweeping statement. And a piggyback most certainly won't be *wiped* by any ECU update. That's not to say their behaviors won't be impaired or reduced or negated in some way but 'fucked', naaaa… they're two independent systems.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 12:43 AM   #100
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Errr, no--you're making wayyyy too wide a sweeping statement. And a piggyback most certainly won't be *wiped* by any ECU update. That's not to say their behaviors won't be impaired or reduced or negated in some way but 'fucked', naaaa… they're two independent systems.
*palm face lol...

Piggyback has nothing to do with tuning the dme... ENTIRELY different process... You should remove the piggyback when you take your car into the dealership... DME tuning you can't "remove", therefore it gets wiped if there is a software update... Even coding - windows rolling up when door is open, no dazzle, vim, etc, get wiped when there is a software update... You can call it a waaaaayyy too wide sweeping statement but facts are facts... DME tuning will get wiped if dealer updates your software... Please don't misunderstand that with piggyback... They aren't the same...

Edit - I should clarified so really it's my bad... My comments originally were in regards to the other guy saying the sound should all revert back to stock, even if you have mods, and I was explaining that's not the case... Car doesn't go quiet and back to "stock" sounds even if you have DP's or exhaust lol...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 12:49 AM   #101
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
*palm face lol...

Piggyback has nothing to do with tuning the dme... ENTIRELY different process... You should remove the piggyback when you take your car into the dealership... DME tuning you can't "remove", therefore it gets wiped if there is a software update... Even coding - windows rolling up when door is open, no dazzle, vim, etc, get wiped when there is a software update... You can call it a waaaaayyy too wide sweeping statement but facts are facts... DME tuning will get wiped if dealer updates your software... Please don't misunderstand that with piggyback... They aren't the same...

Edit - I should clarified so really it's my bad...
Appreciate the clarification--we're on the same page now!
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #102
nickohlie
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 BMW M3 G80CX

Coming back to this thread few months after the update from BMW...

Ever since the update the car did not become slower as i initially thought, however, its like the car hates the jb4 now, throws up bunch of codes, has given a CEL once, and drivetrain malfunction multiple times. I had tried uploading jb4 latest firmare in hopes car will adapt, and it hasn't, same problem continue to occur.

Worth mentioning is that until this update i had the jb4 for 4-5 months on the car and NEVER had any problems, not one CEL or drivetrain malfunctions pop up.
Literally ever since the update problems started...

Not sure where to seek help, can BMW load the previous software? (im sure this not possible but im desperate at this point)
or Should i completely uninstall the jb4 and install it again?

PS Many say the JB4 should not be installed while doing this update to which i agree, problem is when i took my car i had no clue it will be getting an update, car was there just for oil change, all i did is deactivate the jb4 by putting it in map 0 before leaving the car at the dealer.
      12-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #103
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C

Quote:

I noticed immediately that the steering wheel behavior and the throttle response are different. Unmistakable is the noise of the M sports exhaust system on Sport Plus with open flap. Pops and burbles till ca. 70 km/h. At higher speed no pops and burbles anymore.

I would just send some logs to Terry and let him look at it. BMW will not load an old version of the software FYI.

Good Luck
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 1
shoei7779.00
      12-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #104
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickohlie View Post
Coming back to this thread few months after the update from BMW...

Ever since the update the car did not become slower as i initially thought, however, its like the car hates the jb4 now, throws up bunch of codes, has given a CEL once, and drivetrain malfunction multiple times. I had tried uploading jb4 latest firmare in hopes car will adapt, and it hasn't, same problem continue to occur.

Worth mentioning is that until this update i had the jb4 for 4-5 months on the car and NEVER had any problems, not one CEL or drivetrain malfunctions pop up.
Literally ever since the update problems started...

Not sure where to seek help, can BMW load the previous software? (im sure this not possible but im desperate at this point)
What is the code being thrown?

What JB4 map are you using and on what fuel?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #105
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytyme View Post
Quote:

I noticed immediately that the steering wheel behavior and the throttle response are different. Unmistakable is the noise of the M sports exhaust system on Sport Plus with open flap. Pops and burbles till ca. 70 km/h. At higher speed no pops and burbles anymore.

I would just send some logs to Terry and let him look at it. BMW will not load an old version of the software FYI.

Good Luck
Yep, this... Software updates are like our phones and computers et all - once it's updated, there's no going back, unless you jailbreak... I'm gonna venture a guess that it may not be a good idea to do such things to your cars lol...

I would wait for subsequent updates as they (BMW) are aware there was an issue with the prior update...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 05:43 PM   #106
nickohlie
Private
Rep

Quote:

The CEL and drivetrain malfunction only happens when i use map 3 or map 5 with race gas, i dont recall having issues on 91oct on map1, HOWEVER last night when testing with sunoco 100 oct race gas i got the drivetrain malfunction on map3, i erased the code put the car back to map 0 and drove home, while getting on the the onramp of the freeway with WOT it went into limp mode again..

as far as codes, i have been getting a ton of codes.....

(before jb4 update) time period between 10/20/2019-11/27/19
1E0001 IDLE SPEED CONTROL: SPEED TOO HIGH
CDA728 NO DESCRIPTION
120719 NO DESCRIPTION
104320 ABSOLUTE PRESSURE SENSOR INTAKE MANIFOLD PRESSURE TOO HIGH
104620 ABSOLUTE PRESSURE SENSOR INTAKE MANIFOLD PRESSURE TOO HIGH
12071A NO DESCRIPTION
12B011 NO DESCRIPTION

(AFTER JB4 UPDATE)12/08/19
136608 NO DESCRIPTION
120719 NO DESCRIPTION
12071A NO DESCRIPTION

PS i logged the car on map 0,1,2,3,6 and sent in to payam today, haven't heard back yet
      12-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #107
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The CEL and drivetrain malfunction only happens when i use map 3 or map 5 with race gas, i dont recall having issues on 91oct on map1, HOWEVER last night when testing with sunoco 100 oct race gas i got the drivetrain malfunction on map3, i erased the code put the car back to map 0 and drove home, while getting on the the onramp of the freeway with WOT it went into limp mode again..

as far as codes, i have been getting a ton of codes.....

(before jb4 update) time period between 10/20/2019-11/27/19
1E0001 IDLE SPEED CONTROL: SPEED TOO HIGH
CDA728 NO DESCRIPTION
120719 NO DESCRIPTION
104320 ABSOLUTE PRESSURE SENSOR INTAKE MANIFOLD PRESSURE TOO HIGH
104620 ABSOLUTE PRESSURE SENSOR INTAKE MANIFOLD PRESSURE TOO HIGH
12071A NO DESCRIPTION
12B011 NO DESCRIPTION

(AFTER JB4 UPDATE)12/08/19
136608 NO DESCRIPTION
120719 NO DESCRIPTION
12071A NO DESCRIPTION

PS i logged the car on map 0,1,2,3,6 and sent in to payam today, haven't heard back yet
Sending in the logs is obviously your best bet so you've got that covered.

I'd try draining that tank and running on map 0 or 1 depending upon your fuel—trying to eliminate the fuel. If that is ruled out, it'll be time for Terry to do some digging.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #108
nickohlie
Private
Rep

Quote:

I'd try draining that tank and running on map 0 or 1 depending upon your fuel—trying to eliminate the fuel. If that is ruled out, it'll be time for Terry to do some digging.
Appreciate the response. I dont think i can drain the tank unfortunately, I got over half of tank of 100oct in it right now and been driving the car on map 0. If i get any codes again, I will probably fill up rest of the tank with 91 oct gas just to lower the octane level of the race gas i got in right now.
      12-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #109
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate the response. I dont think i can drain the tank unfortunately, I got over half of tank of 100oct in it right now and been driving the car on map 0. If i get any codes again, I will probably fill up rest of the tank with 91 oct gas just to lower the octane level of the race gas i got in right now.
Well, on the plus side, you've got just the right gas to dilute race fuel!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 10:28 PM   #110
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Anyone get a recent Nav update. Car told me it was updating the Nav and I swear it said like 2019 or something like that. Considering 2021-1 is now out I'm a bit perplexed.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0