BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Software updates - anyone recently?

08-28-2019, 08:53 PM   #1
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Software updates - anyone recently?

Reason I ask is because I had to take car into service for malfunction of pedestrian warning and adaptive cruise... I forgot the other Nannie that was malfunctioning but three in total...

Dealership told me simple fix, steering angle sensor and a quick software update for just the safety shit... I remember asking if it would wipe out coding and they said maybe but didn't think so... (coding is gone btw lol)

So about 4-5 hours later, i get my car back and I notice that it's a little louder but thought maybe the 530 loaner car made me think it was louder... NOPE... First downshift, it sounded like call of duty and some anti aircraft rounds exploding out back... Light turns green and I give it a lil gas to drive off and the car is twitching ready for wot and is a little jerky at low speeds... Steering is much stiffer in all settings - sport + felt like I was working out my forearms...

Anyways, hence my question, curious to see if anyone else has had this update and if it also caused some issues...

Current software in pic below...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 10:14 PM   #2
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Had the update. Car does feel different here as well (in a good way). Weird thing M button now requires me to push it three times to go back to default efficient setting lol.

They updated it due to my low tire pressure warning stating pressures needed to be at 42psi cold.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 10:19 PM   #3
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev230 View Post
Had the update. Car does feel different here as well (in a good way). Weird thing M button now requires me to push it three times to go back to default efficient setting lol.

They updated it due to my low tire pressure warning stating pressures needed to be at 42psi cold.
Okay that's all I needed to know... I'm not going crazy lol... Steering stiffer, yes? The pops and cracks are insane and I don't like it at all, lol... They're too high pitched instead of deep now and I mean POP POP POP POP...

The top end seems faster (higher rpm ranges) but low range 1st / 2nd seems a smidge less responsive...

Any other quirks ? I haven't quite figured out why mine switches back to tranny D1 when it was set at S3... It only does that if I switch to manual mode and then push the lever back to D - then it kicks it out into D1...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 02:08 AM   #4
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Had the update as well for the tire pressure thing (iStep of July).

Same as you both, louder (inside), steering heavier and I seem to hear a little more intake sound (pumped).

Went for a 2 days track event with this update but no change, I passed everybody like they were stopped

Seriously, only 2 cars passed me willingly in 2 days; a McLaren 720s and a Porsche GT3 RS and I surely did give them a ride for their money. I was able to pass them many times as well.

FYI, the Pirelli's can do about 4 days of track and the OEM brakes pads (steel) about 6-7.
The rear pads seem to go faster and I melted the rear break pad sensor

FYI #2: My car is full stock with OEM tires and OEM break pads. With it, I am 3 seconds+ faster per lap than with my M4 that had Pagid pads and RE71 tires... A monster of a car, full of potential if properly equipped.

Question for you if you track: what pressure do you put in the front tires? Mine are completely shot and I see quite a bit of wear on the side walls (1 - 1.5 inches). I try to inflate to keep temperature just below 40 Celsius (104F) after a session. I will have new front tires for the last event of the season. The rears are holding up.

Last edited by stealth70mde; 08-29-2019 at 02:24 AM.. Reason: Added FYI#2 and fixed typos.
Appreciate 2
clutchdj1875.50
AMP-M89.00
      08-29-2019, 02:50 PM   #5
shoei
Banned
Rep

Steering definitely heavier throughout ALL settings including comfort...

Overrun very prominent driving in sport+ and in automatic... It was very intermittent before, not anymore...

Will update with other findings...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
freezey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

All of you have the same software versions?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 02:18 AM   #7
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C, '17 911 TTS

These SW versions you've posted are for the NBT and Bluetooth module, which you can update yourself btw.

You can't see the DME SW version from iDrive.

That being said, I've also booked an appointment tomorrow for a software update, due to the annoying TPMS asking me to inflate my tires to 3.2bar or higher. I'll post an update to let you know if my car feels any different after the update.
      09-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #8
MTHX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335XI MPerformance edition

Garage List
2018 F90M5  [0.00]
can you ask dme version installed
just to compare.
tks
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 08:58 AM   #9
ambletx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Ok, I thought the same thing when I got my car back for the SRS sensor recall issue. I noticed that the car pops A LOT now. Way more than I did prior to dropping it off for service. I kind of like the popping sound.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:18 PM   #10
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
I just called and had them add a SW update to my oil change appt tomorrow. Interested to see the changes!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #11
bradleyjs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5B, 2006 E60 550i

Garage List
How often is the Nav Map updated — anyone know? In my area there’s several new areas that (are new) exist but the map is blank.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #12
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

I had read about this update on the performance section. Update is supposedly 006.074.002 and must be dealer installed. Is this the one you guys are taking about?

I like what I am hearing on the exhaust louder but is this the Comp or base M5's?

Steering changes have me concerned.....better or not? Software updates are not always better.....I am looking at you Apple!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 11:21 PM   #13
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Need For Speed View Post
I had read about this update on the performance section. Update is supposedly 006.074.002 and must be dealer installed. Is this the one you guys are taking about?

I like what I am hearing on the exhaust louder but is this the Comp or base M5's?

Steering changes have me concerned.....better or not? Software updates are not always better.....I am looking at you Apple!
That is the one... Exhaust is definitely louder there's no question, but namely the pops and burbles... This is on 2018 M5 but with competition exhaust...

Steering is much tighter and I enjoyed it but cannot get into more detail because I haven't driven the car had to go out of town... Steering wise, definitely not complaining, it just caught me off guard... I keep wondering if maybe it's because I was driving the 530 loaner car before hand... Kidding...

Regardless, it's VERY sensitive in

- sport+ engine mode
- manual mode
- first gear
- leaving from a dead stop

At least this is my experience from the little that I have driven it so far since getting it back... But I'm pretty in tune with my car and the changes are very noticeable, they're not even in the same league... I should note, the car lives in sport+ engine and sport+ tranny 99.9% of its life, so I haven't tried the default settings...

The only thing I will complain about besides the twitchy/lurching I mentioned above, are the pops and farts... It doesn't belong on this type of vehicle, at least not in the degree and magnitude (also the high pitched farts that sound like pistol shots going off) that the exhaust is doing now... I had it how I liked it - deeper pops and burbles and at a decent non embarrassing level... I saw pedestrians instinctively jump and cover their heads when I downshifted coming to a light... Any downshift above 2K rpm is going to have people thinking it's an active shooter...

Oh, and I've noticed much more ass end soot from exhaust (alpine white so you do the math) and smells a bit different when I pull into the garage at night... Aka might be running a little richer / louder farts / burbles... Gas mileage is down 2mpg on same paths to and from...
What do I know though, I'm not a master tech at the dealership... Or any tech for that matter... It's just crazy to me that a few hour software update can effect so many components of modern day vehicles... Putting us that much closer to Skynet, lol...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 06:12 AM   #14
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
That is the one... Exhaust is definitely louder there's no question, but namely the pops and burbles... This is on 2018 M5 but with competition exhaust...

Steering is much tighter and I enjoyed it but cannot get into more detail because I haven't driven the car had to go out of town... Steering wise, definitely not complaining, it just caught me off guard... I keep wondering if maybe it's because I was driving the 530 loaner car before hand... Kidding...

Regardless, it's VERY sensitive in

- sport+ engine mode
- manual mode
- first gear
- leaving from a dead stop

At least this is my experience from the little that I have driven it so far since getting it back... But I'm pretty in tune with my car and the changes are very noticeable, they're not even in the same league... I should note, the car lives in sport+ engine and sport+ tranny 99.9% of its life, so I haven't tried the default settings...

The only thing I will complain about besides the twitchy/lurching I mentioned above, are the pops and farts... It doesn't belong on this type of vehicle, at least not in the degree and magnitude (also the high pitched farts that sound like pistol shots going off) that the exhaust is doing now... I had it how I liked it - deeper pops and burbles and at a decent non embarrassing level... I saw pedestrians instinctively jump and cover their heads when I downshifted coming to a light... Any downshift above 2K rpm is going to have people thinking it's an active shooter...

Oh, and I've noticed much more ass end soot from exhaust (alpine white so you do the math) and smells a bit different when I pull into the garage at night... Aka might be running a little richer / louder farts / burbles... Gas mileage is down 2mpg on same paths to and from...
What do I know though, I'm not a master tech at the dealership... Or any tech for that matter... It's just crazy to me that a few hour software update can effect so many components of modern day vehicles... Putting us that much closer to Skynet, lol...
Are you sure your dealership didn't install catless downpipes for you free of charge?
      09-05-2019, 10:48 AM   #15
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep

Got my car back, the NBT/Bluetooth versions are the same as OPs - 006.074.002, but I'm fairly sure they didn't flash my DMEs. The SA couldn't tell me what SW version they're updating to, he said that they just connect the car and the system automatically determines which modules to update.

I'm sure they didn't flash my DMEs because I had my start/stop system deactivated by default and the coding is still there. It was gone when they did my break-in service and I had to have it coded again back then. My quick dial shortcuts and my seat positions were reset, meaning the did flash some modules.

I haven't noticed any other difference, the burble/pops seem the same, definitely not as loud as OP describes. The steering wheel weight feels the same too.
      09-05-2019, 12:01 PM   #16
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolov View Post
Got my car back, the NBT/Bluetooth versions are the same as OPs - 006.074.002, but I'm fairly sure they didn't flash my DMEs. The SA couldn't tell me what SW version they're updating to, he said that they just connect the car and the system automatically determines which modules to update.

I'm sure they didn't flash my DMEs because I had my start/stop system deactivated by default and the coding is still there. It was gone when they did my break-in service and I had to have it coded again back then. My quick dial shortcuts and my seat positions were reset, meaning the did flash some modules.

I haven't noticed any other difference, the burble/pops seem the same, definitely not as loud as OP describes. The steering wheel weight feels the same too.
Hmmm... Yeah my coding was wiped out...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 02:59 PM   #17
freezey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

BMW told me there were no updates.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 05:05 PM   #18
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezey View Post
Don't know what to tell you - there's multiple people just in this thread who had the same thing happen after - "a service repair required a software update after replacing an electronic component on vehicle" - that seems to be the only common denominator...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #19
mtndog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5c, 992GTS, x5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezey View Post
Had my 1200 mile service done yesterday and was told no updates.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #20
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
I just picked mine up from the dealership earlier today... My exhaust already popped and burbled a lot for a base M5, so that was unchanged for me. The steering is a little bit tighter in Comfort mode, and the pedal with engine in Sport+ is much more sensitive. I can confirm, any coding will get wiped clean unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #21
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
My car didn't "need" an update, but there was one available. I had to pay for the time (since it wasn't required by BMW to fix anything). Steering is heavier, but I didn't get any change in exhaust sound or burbles (at least not that I can tell), although I have the M5c, which was already pretty burbly.

Gotta make time tomorrow to re-code all my stuff
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #22
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

My M5C is due for the 1200 service in a few weeks. I guess I'll ask the SA if the 006.074.002 (right?) update can be applied. The child in me wants more farts and burbles
Appreciate 0