BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Anyone prefer the standard car over the Competition ?

09-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #89
OMGU812
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

I prefer the standard over the comp for a daily driver. I test drove them back to back, in various modes, over the same stretch of road. The comp was materially stiffer than the standard (which I would hope to be the case if I was going to purchase a comp, no?) For the roads I drive on, getting the standard was an easy decision. I can't imagine the money difference is a driver for anyone in this price bracket?
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #90
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
It does have different components, I will look up the link.
A List here:
The 2019 BMW M5 competition has 617 horsepower, 17 horsepower more than the M5.

The 4.4 liter S63 twin turbo V8 has 25.9 psi of turbo boost and 5000 psi fuel injectors - we talk about why those things are such a big deal and what BMW did to cope with the new power.

The 2019 BMW M5 competition sits 7mm lower than a standard M5, has shortened front links and no rear toe link bushings whatsoever, opting for ball joints instead.

The 2019 BMW M5 competition wheels are 6.6 pounds lighter than the stock M5 wheels.

The M5 Competition ceramic brakes are 42 pounds lighter than the standard M5 brakes.

The M5 competition exhaust is a sport exhaust that is a bit meaner than the standard M5 exhaust.

The M5 competition for 2019 has cross bolted main bearings for added strength.

The M5 competition motor mounts are 55% stiffer than a stock M5 yet the interior is vibration free.

The m5 competition trunk is 19 cubic feet.

M5 competition mpg is 15 city and 21 highway - overall, the M5 competition fuel economy is 17 mpg combined which is astounding for a 4300 pound all-wheel-drive.

The m5 competition 2019 wheelbase is over 117 inches long and it is very roomy for 5 adults.

The 2019 BMW M5 competition 0-60 is tested at 2.8 seconds.

The 2019 BMW M5 competition 70-0 brake distance is 146 feet or within 4 feet of the Ferrari 812 Superfast.
good to know, thank you
2016 550i
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #91
Archimedes65
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

I didn't want anything stiffer than the regular M5 and I wanted 19's. But I also didn't care for the Comp wheel choices or the carbon trim stuff front and back. Don't think there's a right or wrong answer, just personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #92
Eurohorses
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 Jahre G80 M3

I went for the CCBs on the standard car instead of opting for the Comp Car with Steels...

I feel the CCBs have a much more significant impact on drive experience than the 17hp and stiffer suspension do on the Comp.

I do however love the seat belts on the the Comp
      09-25-2019, 11:11 AM   #93
f80_sturmgewehr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

I prefer the standard one simply because of the ugly back painted bumper on the competition lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #94
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80_sturmgewehr View Post
I prefer the standard one simply because of the ugly back painted bumper on the competition lol.
I prefer the Competition because it's better in every way. Right, that should cause some commotion.

I always liked the rear color contrast but I don't think it factored into my decision. Exhaust and wheels were largely to blame followed closely by "mine's better than yours". Man, I'm on a roll today.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 06:26 PM   #95
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I prefer the Competition because it's better in every way. Right, that should cause some commotion.

I always liked the rear color contrast but I don't think it factored into my decision. Exhaust and wheels were largely to blame followed closely by "mine's better than yours". Man, I'm on a roll today.
Make that interior Aragon Brown and I am all in.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2019, 08:45 PM   #96
dmmpower
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Hi,
Doers anyone prefer the standard M5 over the Competition model ?. Maybe the more compliant suspension of the standard car, may make for greater progress over undulating back roads, and the need for the firmer Comp set up, is not really needed in this car, unless you are at the track regularly, where the argument then is, its not really a track car ?.
I dont think the 17bhp or so, will even be felt in the real world, and wont feel any slower as the torque is the same ?. Any thoughts ?
I prefer my M5 F90 without GPF measured with much higher performance data as declared.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #97
JCWLS3
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Chevy SS / '19 Cayenne TT

Thanks

Just wanted to tell all you fellas how much I and my wife appreciate your opinions on the Comp-versus-Standard debate.

We've all but decided to order a Competition. For us, the blackout styling cues and ego-stroking badge on the back, coupled with the admittedly miniscule 17-horsepower increase over the standard M, and lower right height and stiffer engine mounts, were enough to sway us off the fence.

Great stuff. Kudos to all of you for helping us decide. Whether you own a "regular" M or a Competition, we think you bought one hella sedan. Considering Ford and other manufacturers think we sedan buyers are an increasing outlier to be discarded, our message is this: Eff you, and the CUV or pickup truck you rode in on.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 12:59 AM   #98
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWLS3 View Post
Just wanted to tell all you fellas how much I and my wife appreciate your opinions on the Comp-versus-Standard debate.

We've all but decided to order a Competition. For us, the blackout styling cues and ego-stroking badge on the back, coupled with the admittedly miniscule 17-horsepower increase over the standard M, and lower right height and stiffer engine mounts, were enough to sway us off the fence.

Great stuff. Kudos to all of you for helping us decide. Whether you own a "regular" M or a Competition, we think you bought one hella sedan. Considering Ford and other manufacturers think we sedan buyers are an increasing outlier to be discarded, our message is this: Eff you, and the CUV or pickup truck you rode in on.
Great decision either way!

I've now had a chance to drive a non-Comp (2019) and it does have a more compliant ride quality than my 2020 Comp. It's probably the same story when compared to my 2019 Comp but, to be clear, I'm no longer able to make a reasonable comparison since my brain is old. Both my Comps were dropped on H&R springs so there's that to add to the equation but, even so...

That said, defining the Comp as its HP difference relative to the non-Comp isn't doing it justice by miles. The other factors have been discussed/debated/argued ad-nauseum and I think the conclusion remains the same... it's subjective.

Congrats on the car(choice?)--do you have a spec/build?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #99
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80_sturmgewehr View Post
i second this.. takes away from the bumper.. but again its all subjective to each one of us.. I also wanted to mod the car so no point in spending extra on comp model just to change out exhaust, wheels, suspension, etc.. however on the new X5M i may do comp as i will not be modifying it and instead just pick up some extra 20" wheels so i can take it for ski trips.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 02:29 PM   #100
cream
Private
Rep
Drives: 19' BSM M5

For anyone who has driven both the M5/M5C back to back do you agree that it is a "completely different animal"?

For me, I couldn't feel the extra 17hp difference at all under full throttle and I mean yes it is a bit stiffer but I just don't see how it is a completely different car so I tend to think that statement is a bit far reached. That being said I wasn't able to track it so perhaps that is where one may feel most of the differences.

I ended up going with the regular M5 and eventually lowered (F-15mm/R-5mm) with KW HAS kit and I am very happy with the results even as a DD.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 08:15 PM   #101
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream View Post
For anyone who has driven both the M5/M5C back to back do you agree that it is a "completely different animal"?

For me, I couldn't feel the extra 17hp difference at all under full throttle and I mean yes it is a bit stiffer but I just don't see how it is a completely different car so I tend to think that statement is a bit far reached. That being said I wasn't able to track it so perhaps that is where one may feel most of the differences.

I ended up going with the regular M5 and eventually lowered (F-15mm/R-5mm) with KW HAS kit and I am very happy with the results even as a DD.

Great review in that link. Thank you! Can't wait for my 2020 M5C in Feb
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #102
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream View Post

I drove them back to back and didn't notice a lot of difference. The difference was too small to sway my decision. I bought a non comp simply because I liked the spec better on the build and I wanted a 2019 for the lease deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #103
JCWLS3
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Chevy SS / '19 Cayenne TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Congrats on the car(choice?)--do you have a spec/build?
Very kind of you to ask. I mentioned in another thread we're debating on color: Marina Bay Blue, or Individual (Porsche) Chalk, (BMW) Limerock Grey or (BMW) Tanzanite Blue II. Interior in either Full Leather Merino Smoke White with Plum trim (we're a little older, and our Cayenne Turbo has carbon fiber trim; trying to do something a little different) or that luscious Full Leather Merino Caramel with the same trim.

We have 10-piston, 17.3" PCCBs on our Cayenne and have fallen HARD for those brakes. We may end up optioning them on the M5. Haven't decided yet.

My wife, badass that she is, says the Individual Ferrari Rosso Corsa with Caramel interior is far and away the best combo out there. But man, talk about taking a gamble and sticking out like a sore thumb. Gorgeous car, though, in the pics we've seen.

And f80_sturmgewehr / hybrid_eg, I can't disagree with your opinions on the gloss-black rear bumper. It's definitely an individual thing. We happen to like either style, so it's a wash for us. But I get what you're saying.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 02:11 AM   #104
dmmpower
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
Have a hard time understanding how the comp. could be slower than the base off the launch. There could be statistical variance of course with such a small difference in power and torque range, but surely in favor of the comp? Unless the stiffer engine mounts are heavier... do the car weigh different?
Because of the GPF in the M5C since September 2018.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:03 AM   #105
Enzo Montana
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Living in NYC i went with M5 if i lived in the suburbs i would have went with M5C. And when i had my M550i last year i went through 6 tires in 2 years and i had the 19"s.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:35 AM   #106
Burnsey
Just A Regular Guy
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition X-Drive

Garage List
The motivation to buy my M5 was simply the discount.

I was happy with my M3 Comp, but at 30% off a standard car with super high spec, the comparison was irrelevant.

I'd have the Comp faced with the choice, but certainly not disappointed to sit at the lights next to a guy who paid £30,000 more for the differences...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:49 PM   #107
EasyGoing
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Montana View Post
Living in NYC i went with M5 if i lived in the suburbs i would have went with M5C. And when i had my M550i last year i went through 6 tires in 2 years and i had the 19"s.
Also live in NYC and did the same, with the exact same thought process.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #108
ZZZZMD1991
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoing View Post
I'm in Manhattan, as well, but ordered the Comp, since I expect the ride to be a little more performance oriented. It's somewhat stiffer, but not jarring.....I'd call it more responsive to road imperfections, but not harsh. Over those cobblestones in the West Village, though.....
Otherwise, I'd suggest just going with another M550 if someone wants a cushier sedan.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 03:34 AM   #109
M135iXdriver
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competiton
Location: Northwestern Switzerland veeeeery close to the German Autobahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZMD1991 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoing View Post
I'm in Manhattan, as well, but ordered the Comp, since I expect the ride to be a little more performance oriented. It's somewhat stiffer, but not jarring.....I'd call it more responsive to road imperfections, but not harsh. Over those cobblestones in the West Village, though.....
Otherwise, I'd suggest just going with another M550 if someone wants a cushier sedan.
THIS! If you opt for the M5 go with the Comp. If you want it as comfy as possible but with a V8 go for the M550. The Comp is a different animal on the road... I never had such a symbiosis between driver and car... moves like on rails and feels like a hot hatch.
2010 - Mazda 3 MPS BL 2.3 (256 bhp) (sold)
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      12-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #110
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C, 2020 BMW X7 M50i

The 2020 M550i is at 523 horses, if that matters!
Appreciate 0