BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Anyone prefer the standard car over the Competition ?

06-10-2019, 06:44 AM   #45
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp RWD

Garage List
  [5.83]
Both are cool cars that essentially do the same thing. For me, there is no value in the comp model....7,500 dollars for low and stiff, exhaust, 16 hp, and some black bits. I mod my cars, so I took the 7500, added a tad more, and after install will have the car I want. Someone mentioned earlier...pick the one that checks your boxes.
Appreciate 1
dardeca499.50
      06-10-2019, 06:48 AM   #46
Scho18
Rep
Drives: M5, M850i conv.

I decided for the base F90 because I use it as a DD and a harsher ride could be an issue for my back. For me, an M5 is not a track car. It is simply too heavy and a race track usually does not consist of straight lines only...

Since I was able to have the sport exhaust and the ceramic brakes without going for a comp, it was clear for me which one I want.

My M5 is fully equipped (fully means every single option, except the comp package). I don't miss anything, in particular not the stiffer ride or height of the car. I'm very happy with my choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 07:10 AM   #47
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scho18 View Post
I decided for the base F90 because I use it as a DD and a harsher ride could be an issue for my back. For me, an M5 is not a track car. It is simply too heavy and a race track usually does not consist of straight lines only...

Since I was able to have the sport exhaust and the ceramic brakes without going for a comp, it was clear for me which one I want.

My M5 is fully equipped (fully means every single option, except the comp package). I don't miss anything, in particular not the stiffer ride or height of the car. I'm very happy with my choice.
Or, forget about the ceramic brakes option and get the Comp
The steel brakes are very capable on track. 3 days at the track and not a hint of brake fade. Very impressed because with the M4, I had to use Pagid pads since OEM pads were fading after 2 or 3 sessions.

In terms of weight, yes, you will obviously feel somewhat longer weight transfers in chicanes but it is very manageable with throttle input.

Now I can only imagine if I could get Pagid brake pads for it... For sure, in terms of bite, the ceramic brakes would be awesome from the get go. Consider how many Pagid pads you could get for the price of the ceramic brakes

I track my car and that is why I decided to go with the M5 competition.
      06-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #48
CanadianF90M5
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M135iXdriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianF90M5 View Post
If you plan to drive you M5 in the winter and you live where it goes down (sometimes) to -30c driving on packed snow / ice, the non comp is your only option. Couldn't be happier with my non comp, a true DD.
Why is that? Ground clearance? Or the Comp isn't supposed to be driven in temps below -30C?
Also waiting for the answer to your question... hard to imagine that the ride height makes such a difference.
My decision to go with the non comp was not because it was 23mm (0.9 inches) lower then the standard car (although its one of the reasons I wouldn't lower my car unless it was easy / fast to adjust it back to standard height - I call lowered cars in the winter in Canada snow plows), it's because of the ride comfort in the winter. Comfort setting in the standard car (I believe) is more smooth on bumpy snow / ice covered roads then the comfort setting on the comp car.

With regards to driving the car when it's very cold outside (-20c or more) all cars seem to ride even more stiff (like driving with cement wheels / suspension) so the more comfortable it is before it gets cold reduces the impact of the cold on the suspension (IMO) especially when having to drive over packed snow and ice.
      06-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #49
M135iXdriver
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competiton
Location: Northwestern Switzerland veeeeery close to the German Autobahn

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
Quote:
If you plan to drive you M5 in the winter and you live where it goes down (sometimes) to -30c driving on packed snow / ice, the non comp is your only option. Couldn't be happier with my non comp, a true DD.
Why is that? Ground clearance? Or the Comp isn't supposed to be driven in temps below -30C?
Also waiting for the answer to your question... hard to imagine that the ride height makes such a difference.
My decision to go with the non comp was not because it was 23mm (0.9 inches) lower then the standard car (although its one of the reasons I wouldn't lower my car unless it was easy / fast to adjust it back to standard height - I call lowered cars in the winter in Canada snow plows), it's because of the ride comfort in the winter. Comfort setting in the standard car (I believe) is more smooth on bumpy snow / ice covered roads then the comfort setting on the comp car.

With regards to driving the car when it's very cold outside (-20c or more) all cars seem to ride even more stiff (like driving with cement wheels / suspension) so the more comfortable it is before it gets cold reduces the impact of the cold on the suspension (IMO) especially when having to drive over packed snow and ice.
Sorry but please get your numbers right. The competition is 7 mm (0.276 inch) lower compared to the standard M5. So no reason to call one a snow plow and the other not... both are in the conditions you talk about.

The other things are personal preferences.
2010 - Mazda 3 MPS BL 2.3 (256 bhp) (sold)
Appreciate 1
bear04059.00
      06-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #50
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Quote:
Sorry but please get your numbers right. The competition is 7 mm (0.276 inch) lower compared to the standard M5. So no reason to call one a snow plow and the other not... both are in the conditions you talk about.

Exactly what I was thinking. To say that the base M5 is "your only option" if you live in an area with deep snow and cold average temps simply does not make any sense. Both the base the comp will act like snow plows in such conditions and an extra 7mm in ride height is not going to make much of a difference. Dedicated winter tires will make a difference. So a more appropriate statement would be that if you live in such an area with deep snow and cold average temps, ANY M5 whether base or comp are NOT the best options. Get an X5 or similar crossover/suv for such duties.
      06-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #51
CanadianF90M5
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
Quote:

Exactly what I was thinking. To say that the base M5 is "your only option" if you live in an area with deep snow and cold average temps simply does not make any sense. Both the base the comp will act like snow plows in such conditions and an extra 7mm in ride height is not going to make much of a difference. Dedicated winter tires will make a difference. So a more appropriate statement would be that if you live in such an area with deep snow and cold average temps, ANY M5 whether base or comp are NOT the best options. Get an X5 or similar crossover/suv for such duties.
Please read my response again ... I said I choose one over the other "not because" the comp is lower, it's because of ride comfort on the roads in the winter time especially when it's really cold outside ... the same reason I didn't get the Carbon Ceramic Brakes, they aren't working at their best when it's really cold outside ...
      06-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #52
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

Quote:
Absolutely this! The thing is... the set with the comp. rims, rubber and sensors costs almost as much as the competition package.
Plus you won't get the exhaust for that price either. The Comp is a bargain supercar saloon and the ride is still very comfortable, IMO (and I stay on Sport setting). Those looking at the 19HP boost are definitely missing the point of buying a Comp. The real difference is the significant handling upgrade due to upgraded anti-roll bars, engine mounts, camber change and the lowering. These differences can be felt when daily driving and for me, make the car even more fun. The handling is immediate and lends itself to doing things a car this size should not be able to do. Plus the extra black bits are gorgeous (else why would so many base buyers get them? lol). Both cars are great but I'll take the Comp all day for the extra 7K to have the noticeable lowering, better handling and great exhaust sound at a significantly cheaper price than aftermarket.
Appreciate 3
      06-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #53
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19' M5 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Need For Speed View Post
Plus you won't get the exhaust for that price either. The Comp is a bargain supercar saloon and the ride is still very comfortable, IMO (and I stay on Sport setting). Those looking at the 19HP boost are definitely missing the point of buying a Comp. The real difference is the significant handling upgrade due to upgraded anti-roll bars, engine mounts, camber change and the lowering. These differences can be felt when daily driving and for me, make the car even more fun. The handling is immediate and lends itself to doing things a car this size should not be able to do. Plus the extra black bits are gorgeous (else why would so many base buyers get them? lol). Both cars are great but I'll take the Comp all day for the extra 7K to have the noticeable lowering, better handling and great exhaust sound at a significantly cheaper price than aftermarket.
^^^^^^ perfectly said

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
M Performance: Exhaust Tips/Pro Spoiler/Rear Diffuser. H&R 11/11 Spacers ACG Carbon Kevlar Pads XPEL Front PPF Ceramic Pro Silver 20% Tints Instagram #m5comp
Appreciate 2
      06-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #54
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Need For Speed View Post
you've summed the car up, I love mine.
      06-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #55
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Difference in capitalized cost between comp and non-comp is currently around $12,000 (in the USA) due to the $5k lease incentive BMWFS has on the base M5 since the Competition model was launched. The reason is essentially to create a bigger price difference between the models.
      06-10-2019, 02:31 PM   #56
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Great info on the comp-specific characteristics here:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...80678EN/412669
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #57
e36mcab
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e36mcab

The reasoning for the purchase of my M5 Comp in Canada was two fold.

The first was price.
The difference was $7500 CAD, but it includes:
1MA - M Sport Exhaust $1500
4QQ - M Seat Belts $400
Gloss Black Kidney and Side Gills - $443 CAD / $328 USD
The difference now becomes $5157 CAD.
I can't put a dollar value on these items because some owner's wouldn't install them or would choose M Performance parts instead.
Gloss Black Mirror Covers
Gloss Black Rear Spoiler
Gloss Black Rear Diffuser
789M Forged Wheels
Small increase in HP
Chassis Tuning - Lowering 7mm, stiffer engine mounts and rear anti roll bar, etc...
The value for me is approximately $5000 CAD difference, I no longer will buy aftermarket wheels nor tweak the suspension. This alone is worth the extra $5k in cost.

The second is exclusivity. I have seen more regular M5's in my home town but fewer Comp's. I understand that the regular M5 has been in production for almost an extra year, but neither the regular M5 or Comp are common here.

The ride quality so far has not been an issue. I have only driven the car during my European delivery and expect the car for redelivery in the next 2-3 weeks. From my butt meter my E90 M3 (current DD) is slightly stiffer than the F90.
'95 318ti - Alpine White *Sold*
Appreciate 1
bear04059.00
      06-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #58
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

It's time to dust this picture off again for those below with badge envy... (I'm kidding, honest... it's funny, right).
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      06-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #59
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '%E2%80%9909 e92 m3, '19 X3, %

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
It's time to dust this picture off again for those below with badge envy... (I'm kidding, honest... it's funny, right).
      06-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #60
goatfarmer1970
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

I just bought a 6K-mile used base model (glad to be back after 4+ years with an E39). Anyway, like the OP above, I would have gladly ponied up the extra $7K to get forged wheels, comp exhaust, the blacked out grills, M-colored seatbelts, etc. But the difference unfortunately was more like $25K because I could not find a pre-owned one. So I will be watching others on the board and closing the gap a bit...I have already done the black grills and side-outlets, next is exhaust of some sort (probably Dinan just because I have had that stuff before). Anyway, thanks in advance for all of the info.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 06:55 AM   #61
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19' M5 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatfarmer1970 View Post
I just bought a 6K-mile used base model (glad to be back after 4+ years with an E39). Anyway, like the OP above, I would have gladly ponied up the extra $7K to get forged wheels, comp exhaust, the blacked out grills, M-colored seatbelts, etc. But the difference unfortunately was more like $25K because I could not find a pre-owned one. So I will be watching others on the board and closing the gap a bit...I have already done the black grills and side-outlets, next is exhaust of some sort (probably Dinan just because I have had that stuff before). Anyway, thanks in advance for all of the info.
Congrats and welcome to the family.

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
M Performance: Exhaust Tips/Pro Spoiler/Rear Diffuser. H&R 11/11 Spacers ACG Carbon Kevlar Pads XPEL Front PPF Ceramic Pro Silver 20% Tints Instagram #m5comp
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #62
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Just to answer my own thread, and offer an opinion for anyone interested.

https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...ard-m5.213830/
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 09:05 PM   #63
bradleyjs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5B, 2006 E60 550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post

I like your comparison write-up.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 09:43 PM   #64
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:

Well, as was proven by the reply on the UK forum, we can't all agree (some of us do it with a tad more tact, respect, empathy, though... take your pick :-). That said, and cognizant that I'm obviously coming across as biased, I just can't find a road where I find the Comp too harsh--I found many in my AMG E63S.

For me, the wheels and the exhaust were enough to sway me.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 01:32 AM   #65
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Well, as was proven by the reply on the UK forum, we can't all agree (some of us do it with a tad more tact, respect, empathy, though... take your pick :-). That said, and cognizant that I'm obviously coming across as biased, I just can't find a road where I find the Comp too harsh--I found many in my AMG E63S.

For me, the wheels and the exhaust were enough to sway me.
Thats absolutely fine . My write up may be of use to anyone contemplating both cars. I was out in the car for quite a few hours last night, driving some of the roads i know well, and had driven in the Comp many, many times, and my opinion only swayed more to the std car, the more i drove it.
On another note, last night was the first time i have launched an M5 with full launch control, and all i can say is Holy F !! . The road was damp, and the car left the line without fuss, drama or any TC light at all. I couldnt believe it, just awesome. Should the gearbox shift on its own into second, as i seemed to hit the limiter, expecting it to shift, but didnt seem to, but i may have lifted slightly, and i seem to remember that i should have keept it nailed to the carpet ?.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 02:18 AM   #66
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Thats absolutely fine . My write up may be of use to anyone contemplating both cars. I was out in the car for quite a few hours last night, driving some of the roads i know well, and had driven in the Comp many, many times, and my opinion only swayed more to the std car, the more i drove it.
On another note, last night was the first time i have launched an M5 with full launch control, and all i can say is Holy F !! . The road was damp, and the car left the line without fuss, drama or any TC light at all. I couldnt believe it, just awesome. Should the gearbox shift on its own into second, as i seemed to hit the limiter, expecting it to shift, but didnt seem to, but i may have lifted slightly, and i seem to remember that i should have keept it nailed to the carpet ?.
Just for balance, I would like to point you to your original Finding of the M5 Comp.
Here: https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...oughts.208779/