BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Project Gamma Intakes Installed

11-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #67
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigymb View Post
how much are these intakes?
$950

https://www.bmwintakes.com/collectio...ake-and-filter
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #68
serhat06
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Huracan

Garage List
2015 Huracan  [0.00]
1991 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigymb View Post
with poor quality non metal reinforced silicone the intakes can absolutely collapse aka get sucked shut. turbos are pulling in air at a high rate and if the filters are not flowing enough air thru them meet the demand, that will start creating a vacuum inside the intakes and suck them shut.

i am NOT suggesting that this will happen to these particular intakes. i have never seen them. i have seen this happen on a friends 997TT.
They are 5mm thick and did not collapse on cars with stage 2-3 turbos, 27psi+ on f10 platform.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2019, 08:08 PM   #69
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serhat06 View Post
They are 5mm thick and did not collapse on cars with stage 2-3 turbos, 27psi+ on f10 platform.
that's what i like to hear!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 09:30 AM   #70
serhat06
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2015 Huracan  [0.00]
1991 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDriverX View Post
that's what i like to hear!
post some pictures mate
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2019, 02:53 PM   #71
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Got a few pics of the Project Gamma intake installed on my Nardo Grey F90!

I upgraded the filters to AFE 6" inlet Pro 5R with 6"-3.5" aluminum Vibrant velocity stacks, a couple hundred bucks but worth it for some of the highest quality filters out there. Took some squeezing in but I got them to fit and I'm running them with AFE filter socks because of the rain that's coming.

The intake sounds amazing all the way to redline! I bought a wireless mic to record the sound from the front but it ended up being a pile of crap so i picked up a wired mic and this week I'm going to try again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Mcc420475.00
YanoM5503.50
      12-23-2019, 10:09 PM   #72
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Do you have the AFE filter part numbers. My gamma intakes are in route and was trying to run a mesh filter with a velocity stack but didn’t have luck finding anything.

AFE makes great filters

Quote:
Got a few pics of the Project Gamma intake installed on my Nardo Grey F90!

I upgraded the filters to AFE 6" inlet Pro 5R with 6"-3.5" aluminum Vibrant velocity stacks, a couple hundred bucks but worth it for some of the highest quality filters out there. Took some squeezing in but I got them to fit and I'm running them with AFE filter socks because of the rain that's coming.

The intake sounds amazing all the way to redline! I bought a wireless mic to record the sound from the front but it ended up being a pile of crap so i picked up a wired mic and this week I'm going to try again.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 02:37 AM   #73
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Do you have the AFE filter part numbers. My gamma intakes are in route and was trying to run a mesh filter with a velocity stack but didn’t have luck finding anything.

AFE makes great filters
They are 24-91131, they usually take a couple of weeks to make and ship from AFE as they're not a commonly used size
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 10:03 AM   #74
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

Thanks man. Did you just mirror the size that gamma provided. I will be running these on a m8 and looks like I have more room

Quote:
They are 24-91131, they usually take a couple of weeks to make and ship from AFE as they're not a commonly used size
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #75
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man. Did you just mirror the size that gamma provided. I will be running these on a m8 and looks like I have more room
I got as close as I could while having the 6" inlet for the velocity stacks. They are tight in there and any larger and they would not fit, if you have more space in the M8 I would still go with these, don't think you're going to have a flow problem with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #76
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

So I ordered the same AFE filters and went with a cheaper plastic velocity stack option. Figured I didn’t need metal. Guess I missed a part as I don’t have a 3.5 coupling to connect the stack to the metal piece adapter part of the gamma system

Did your stacks come with that coupling or you bought separate?

Also on your prefilters, do you have a part number. I got some from AFE and they are way too big for the intake. I guess I can make it work as it sits under the clamp but still have a lot of material

Quote:
I got as close as I could while having the 6" inlet for the velocity stacks. They are tight in there and any larger and they would not fit, if you have more space in the M8 I would still go with these, don't think you're going to have a flow problem with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #77
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

Or did you connect directly from stack to gamma pipe. Figure that might work

Quote:
So I ordered the same AFE filters and went with a cheaper plastic velocity stack option. Figured I didn’t need metal. Guess I missed a part as I don’t have a 3.5 coupling to connect the stack to the metal piece adapter part of the gamma system

Did your stacks come with that coupling or you bought separate?

Also on your prefilters, do you have a part number. I got some from AFE and they are way too big for the intake. I guess I can make it work as it sits under the clamp but still have a lot of material
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 05:56 PM   #78
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Or did you connect directly from stack to gamma pipe. Figure that might work
The aluminum vibrant stack has a 3.5 section coming out of the back that goes directly into the Gamma piping, no clamps needed.

The part number for the filter socks i am using are 28-10093 Pre-Filter. They are a little large but you can just slide them over the filters and they won't come off.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 09:19 PM   #79
Strongbad
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 M5 MBB

This is the most entertaining thread that I have found on the forums so far for sure...

Anyway, am I correct in assuming these don't require any cutting or modifying the car in any way to get the tubes routed in front of the radiator? I have seen some vehicles where you need to cut the plastic shroud to get them to fit.

I would like some of that sweet sweet intake/turbo noise and am considering these.
'18 M3CS - Gone
'19 M5 - Current
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 01:32 AM   #80
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbad View Post
This is the most entertaining thread that I have found on the forums so far for sure...

Anyway, am I correct in assuming these don't require any cutting or modifying the car in any way to get the tubes routed in front of the radiator? I have seen some vehicles where you need to cut the plastic shroud to get them to fit.

I would like some of that sweet sweet intake/turbo noise and am considering these.
The next option is double the price and these get the job done! I got a set and have installed them and removed them a few times now and it gets easier every time. You don’t cut or modify anything, just remove the stock airbox and components and I use some detail spray on the outside of the tubes when routing them to the front grill. I would skip the mesh filters and see if they offer K&N, I think they are putting those on the new M3/M4 intakes now. Better to have a higher quality filter up front where it’s sucking outside air like a Hoover
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 10:50 PM   #81
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

Glad you are being entertained. As other mentioned this is the most cost effective front mount and a 3.5 inch pipe the whole way. Beside price I like the fact that you don’t have to remove your support bars.

They say you don’t need those but I am sure they are there for a reason. Since the gamma tubes are silicon they can bend and flex behind the bars. Other options are metal and they won’t fit behind the bars. Guess only option was to remove them to have a front mount

I’m putting these on a m8 and the front grill removal is not anywhere as easy as the m5. I have still not figure out how to fully remove them. That being said I prob won’t be messing with the intake after installed. Trying to figure out which filters to run. The mesh included have that amazing sound, got the same AFE listed with the prefilters. It’s been an abnormally wet winter here in Cali so thinking afe with prefilters for the winters and hopefully I can find an easier way to remove the grills to switch to the mesh in the spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbad View Post

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:37 AM   #82
Strongbad
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 M5 MBB

Quote:
Glad you are being entertained. As other mentioned this is the most cost effective front mount and a 3.5 inch pipe the whole way. Beside price I like the fact that you don’t have to remove your support bars.

They say you don’t need those but I am sure they are there for a reason. Since the gamma tubes are silicon they can bend and flex behind the bars. Other options are metal and they won’t fit behind the bars. Guess only option was to remove them to have a front mount

I’m putting these on a m8 and the front grill removal is not anywhere as easy as the m5. I have still not figure out how to fully remove them. That being said I prob won’t be messing with the intake after installed. Trying to figure out which filters to run. The mesh included have that amazing sound, got the same AFE listed with the prefilters. It’s been an abnormally wet winter here in Cali so thinking afe with prefilters for the winters and hopefully I can find an easier way to remove the grills to switch to the mesh in the spring

Sounds good. Thanks for the info. I am going to order for installation after my break-in service (about 500 miles to go).
'18 M3CS - Gone
'19 M5 - Current
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2020, 02:00 PM   #83
serhat06
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2015 Huracan  [0.00]
1991 325is  [0.00]
and here are the M8c pics uploaded,

https://www.shopprojectgamma.com/photos

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-Kh_z_D..._web_copy_link
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 06:24 PM   #84
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They sound insane huh? Someone that i know was in an open Jeep and saw me cross an intersection from a standstill, called me right away to ask me if i stuck a jet engine into my M5!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #85
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

They sound amazing. The m8 in the pics is mine.

It really does sound like a jet plane about to take off. If you are running a tune it sounds even more amazing.

It’s my favorite mod so far.

Quote:
They sound insane huh? Someone that i know was in an open Jeep and saw me cross an intersection from a standstill, called me right away to ask me if i stuck a jet engine into my M5!
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2020, 12:47 AM   #86
Blue M5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 competition

I'm about to order a set of these. Was wondering what the best filters are to run. Part numbers for filter and velocity stacks. Would be great if you have them or even a links to where to buy them. Thank and help will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 07:06 PM   #87
serhat06
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2015 Huracan  [0.00]
1991 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue M5 View Post
I'm about to order a set of these. Was wondering what the best filters are to run. Part numbers for filter and velocity stacks. Would be great if you have them or even a links to where to buy them. Thank and help will be appreciated.
there is a filter with integrated velocity stacks and hydrophobic cover under development.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 07:22 PM   #88
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
there is a filter with integrated velocity stacks and hydrophobic cover under development.
When do you think the filters will be available?
Appreciate 0