BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Project Gamma Intakes Installed

06-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Project Gamma Intakes Installed

What’s up all.

Just wanted to report on initial impressions with Project Gamma intakes. They are local to me here in Houston, so I went and met with Sam, the owner, and had them installed last week.

The reason I went with Project Gamma is because it’s in the sweet spot on the quality and price curve. I have no interest in a $2,000++ carbon intake because, come on, that’s ridiculous for something that lives under your hood. I waited for awhile for BMS to release their F90 intake, and when I saw that it was just short-ram intakes with cone filters located in our extremely hot engine bay, I passed, even at the low price point.

I ran ARM intake on my previous stage 2 F10 550i, very similar design, and in the Houston summer, I was suffering 150-160 degree IAT and the engine was knocking, pulling timing and boost. I relocated the filters behind the grilles with extension tubing and dropped IATs significantly, and had no issues after that.

Our engine bays are HOT and I do not want the filter in there. Also just to add, I am not dogging BMS, they do awesome work for our community, I have run their intakes and JB4 on several cars. Just explaining the experience that is driving my choice on intakes for the platform.

So, about the Project Gamma intake, it is a continuous piece of heavy-duty 3.5” silicone piping routing from the intake manifold, to behind the front grille, where cone filters are then mounted. Being that it is a single, flexible piece of silicone with smooth bends gives it four advantages in a mechanical sense:
A.) smoothest possible airflow
B.) lack of heatsoak (unlike thin aluminum tubing of F10 ARM intake)
C.) easy installation
D.) air filters mounted in the coolest possible place

The price point is pretty reasonable, it comes in matching colors with no additional charge, butt dyno says small gain in the midrange, and turbo sound is much more pronounced. It’s about a 30 minute install and looks and sounds great. The owner is a good dude I’m happy to support, and also mentioned that they will be developing upper and lower downpipes in the near future.

Overall I am very happy with this product and I would recommend it.

I paid full price for the product and have not received any compensation or discount for the review.

Cheers,
Ian

Video clip of my car with intakes installed:
https://www.instagram.com/project_gamma/p/ByGVZUbBkxV/
Attached Images

Last edited by IancoleTX; 06-05-2019 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 2
Jocko78103.50
      06-05-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
boredM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ford F-350 & Nardo F90

Nice review and pictures
Sounds wicked
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Personally, I would be concerned about the amount of air blocked to the rad.
regardless, hopefully it works out well.
Appreciate 2
Miko M6648.50
PhatLyfe984.00
      06-05-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

$850 for this isn't bad at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Question for you.
How do you wash your car with air filter sitting duck like that?
Do you wait until the water fully dripped out of it? Or just drive away?
And how often do you re-oil the filter?
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2019, 09:40 PM   #6
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '%E2%80%9909 e92 m3, '19 X3, %

ill keep my review short and sweet.

you get what you pay for, and the level of professionalism is some of the worst to date for me.

missing parts, product not as described, and they sent me used pipes. USED PIPES!!!!!!!!!!

quality car needs quality parts. shame on me for trying to cut corners with this "in moms garage" product.
FSociety3810.00
      06-05-2019, 10:19 PM   #7
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Question for you.
Air filters aren’t going to let enough water through to do any damage, you just don’t spray the filters directly when washing, common sense. Re-oiling, not sure offhand bud I will have to check on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtenedio View Post
ill keep my review short and sweet.

you get what you pay for, and the level of professionalism is some of the worst to date for me.

missing parts, product not as described, and they sent me used pipes. USED PIPES!!!!!!!!!!

quality car needs quality parts. shame on me for trying to cut corners with this "in moms garage" product.
Lol what? You purchased PG intakes for the F90? What was missing or not as described, it’s a very straightforward product. I doubt they sent you used pipes, I was there in person and saw boxes of new pipes in a bunch of colors. Less exclamation points and more details man.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #8
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep

i got my pipes a little over a month ago, just getting to them now.

they are indeed used, admitted by PG a little while ago upon me reaching out.

and i was missing all clamps/hardware...

i get it man, you were paid by project gamma for your post today on the forum, as they offered ME to do last month. i didn't get a chance to even open my box for install today, with multiple requests over the last month from PG to paypal me money to post on the forum.
you're a local guy and they made you their poster boy. so dont give me shit bro..
Maverik2594133.00
      06-05-2019, 10:47 PM   #9
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep

my original intent of post.

you get what you pay for. buyer beware.
      06-05-2019, 11:00 PM   #10
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep

oh forgot to mention for all considering- this comes with run of the mill shitty no name filters. no quality filters/k&n's.

thanks for the paid ad OP.
      06-05-2019, 11:27 PM   #11
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by IancoleTX View Post
Quote:
Question for you.
Air filters aren’t going to let enough water through to do any damage, you just don’t spray the filters directly when washing, common sense. Re-oiling, not sure offhand bud I will have to check on that.
Good to know.

I still think some water will get sucked in though with that kind of a design.
Especially when it rain.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 05:47 AM   #12
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to know.

I still think some water will get sucked in though with that kind of a design.
Especially when it rain.
Lots of people run intakes in the grille, I ran it over a year on my 550i, no reports of any foul play out there with this type of design. No worries.

Quote:
i got my pipes a little over a month ago, just getting to them now.

they are indeed used, admitted by PG a little while ago upon me reaching out.

and i was missing all clamps/hardware...

i get it man, you were paid by project gamma for your post today on the forum, as they offered ME to do last month. i didn't get a chance to even open my box for install today, with multiple requests over the last month from PG to paypal me money to post on the forum.
you're a local guy and they made you their poster boy. so dont give me shit bro..
Lol you see in the first ad where I said I paid full price and no discount was given? That’s 100% true. I have a seven figure income in energy trading and I’ve been on these forums like 10 years, I’ve never once compromised my morals in business and I’m not going to do it for a car part worth less than I make before breakfast any day of the week. Your experience seems really weird and completely contrary to mine, so I don’t know man. Frankly you seem hostile from the jump, so I can see why you had a bad customer service experience. I would guess your issue with PG isn’t the only issue in your life if this is how you handle things.

The only “hardware” in the kit are four worm clamps with a retail value of about four bucks. The filters are Spectre, which are fine, I checked and they have like a 4.5 star review on Amazon. I personally replaced them with K&N and that would be the only option that I would like to be given by PG that I wasn’t, that is fair.

As far as used pipes or whatever paid posting nonsense, I don’t know man, seems weird you would say that. The guy doing this is fairly new in the business, and looking to get his name out there, he asked me politely if I could write an honest review, and that is what you see here. My experience doing this is exactly as described, it’s a good product that I have been happy with once actually installed, which yours aren’t. You seem like an angry, rude person, and it’s super lame to come around crapping on a good product the owner is trying to get off the ground, and slinging baseless accusations about me personally. Cheer up man.
Appreciate 3
      06-06-2019, 06:51 AM   #13
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep

Quote:
me? i'm not mad. these are being returned asap, and Lusso's will be ordered to replace.

as discussed these aren't theories. They were admitted by PG after i purchased; indeed used and they are missing all 4 clamps. the post wasn't about the $4.00 clamps, it's the idea that they were even missing/product was compromised to begin with.

this forum is meant for honest unsolicited feedback and discussions.

your biased paid/discounted post just rubbed me the wrong way after yesterdays dealing. your continuation of defense after my facts are stated cant be more clear that you are a PG rep/buddy/ pony.

this whole thread should be removed.

enjoy your intakes man!
Lol you’re a clown. Instead of cutting a new business some slack while they learn the ropes you’re slinging accusations and exclamation points like they grow on trees. I have been on the forums ten years, these intakes are worth less than one hour of my professional time, I have no connection or relation to the company, I was not paid, discounted, or compensated in any way for the review. I like the product, and the owner is a nice guy, simple as that. Thanks for shitting in my review thread and good luck with your Lussos, don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 08:03 AM   #14
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep

haha how much did PG pay you for that response? second time you referenced your pay, who's really the clown here?

you shared your experience, i shared my experience. There was nothing personal towards you about my post, besides calling out your credibility on a post that should belong on the sponsors section. my buddy got the same payment/discount offer to make a post. $50 to post on FB or bimmerpost was the offer.

**new update: PG response for a brief second was "our customers run these intakes without clamps, we didn't forget any parts"

all photos on PG, and OP's above shows clamps. how do you mount intakes with no clamps, filter to intake with no clamps? oh. ok..

and the admitted response to the intakes i got being used was just revealed as "these were prototypes". first response was they're brand new, second response was prototype never used, third response after i showed residue on the internal pipe was "used for only 200 miles"
kind of snakey....

i think i made my point. buyer beware. c ya

✌🏻
Maverik2594133.00
Mashour754.50
      06-06-2019, 08:05 AM   #15
NASTY-M5
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M% Competition

Well this post got derailed

2019 M5 Competition.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 08:26 AM   #16
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep

Quote:
haha how much did PG pay you for that response? second time you referenced your pay, who's really the clown here?

you shared your experience, i shared my experience. There was nothing personal towards you about my post, besides calling out your credibility on a post that should belong on the sponsors section. my buddy got the same payment/discount offer to make a post. $50 to post on FB or bimmerpost was the offer.

**new update: PG response for a brief second was "our customers run these intakes without clamps, we didn't forget any parts"

all photos on PG, and OP's above shows clamps. how do you mount intakes with no clamps, filter to intake with no clamps? oh. ok..

and the admitted response to the intakes i got being used was just revealed as "these were prototypes". first response was they're brand new, second response was prototype never used, third response after i showed residue on the internal pipe was "used for only 200 miles"
kind of snakey....

✌��
The clown is you, calling my credibility into question, saying I would outright lie on a clear upfront and repeated disclosure that I was in no way compensated to make a review, and completely derailing a review thread that was none of your business to shit on. Yeah, I am going to sell myself out for $50, aka nothing, on a forum I have belonged to for 10 years. No offer was made or accepted, I have nothing to do with PG personally or professionally except for meeting the owner when buying the product. Sorry you had a bad experience that again sounds completely weird and unlike the one I had, I like the product. You have never actually installed it. Make your own thread so I can come shit on that one, and accuse you of shilling for a competitor. Bye

Last edited by IancoleTX; 06-06-2019 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #17
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Aronis2267.00
FSociety3810.00
      06-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #18
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

It looks like the proprietor has the right idea. The execution, fit/finish is not quite there yet. Before and after dyno runs would have really helped with the marketing part of his program.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      06-06-2019, 11:19 AM   #19
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

My concern is the longer piping looks more restrictive than the stock airbox.

Curious to see what 1/4 mile trap speeds are before and after in controlled testing.
Appreciate 2
FSociety3810.00
      06-06-2019, 08:42 PM   #20
ActionDH
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
My concern is the longer piping looks more restrictive than the stock airbox.

Curious to see what 1/4 mile trap speeds are before and after in controlled testing.
Flow rate is indirectly proportional to length, so a longer intake restricts flow, but not sure if it matters in this application
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:15 PM   #21
josec70
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22' Individual Chalk M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by IancoleTX View Post
Quote:

kind of snakey....

✌��
The clown is you, calling my credibility into question, saying I would outright lie on a clear upfront and repeated disclosure that I was in no way compensated to make a review, and completely derailing a review thread that was none of your business to shit on. Yeah, I am going to sell myself out for $50, aka nothing, on a forum I have belonged to for 10 years. No offer was made or accepted, I have nothing to do with PG personally or professionally except for meeting the owner when buying the product. Sorry you had a bad experience that again sounds completely weird and unlike the one I had, I like the product. You have never actually installed it. Make your own thread so I can come shit on that one, and accuse you of shilling for a competitor. Bye
Don't feel too bad brother!

I was myself accused of being on ACG's payroll because I love their pads and others have had issues .... all you can do is provide honest feedback and let the chips fall where they may. Lots of conspiracy theorists on here apparently.

Enjoy your intakes ....
GONE: 13' F10 M5|SG|BLACK|AKRA|KW|IND
LONG GONE: 09' E60 M5|02' E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:51 PM   #22
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josec70 View Post
Don't feel too bad brother!

I was myself accused of being on ACG's payroll because I love their pads and others have had issues .... all you can do is provide honest feedback and let the chips fall where they may. Lots of conspiracy theorists on here apparently.

Enjoy your intakes ....
Lol right though?? I see someone trying to get a foot in the door in this business with an actual good product that no one else is making, and do something nice for them, and this is what happens. Ah well. I appreciate the encouragement bro.

I actually was thinking about ACGs, I got horrible embarrassing brake squeal for like two days around 300 miles, but it came and went. If it had stuck around I was ready to beg, borrow, or steal to make it go away!
Appreciate 0