BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    Mercedes-AMG GT63 S vs BMW M5 Competition Dyno, Races, Brake and Acceleration Tests

04-24-2019, 07:18 AM   #23
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Hi Vic, Long time no see man.
I was reading your comment and wanted to add if I was looking for a $ 3500 monthly payment, I would buy a 570 McLaren and pay it off in 6 years. At least I would drive a super car
Good to see you too.

570 is a nice car but its not reliable from many of my friends accounts. Your 6 year ownership could result in many visits to the dealership for operating issues. If I ever got one, it would be a low mile used one (they depreciate heavily) with a decent chunk of the 3 year OEM warranty remaining.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 2
vtknight966.50
bubbaboy107.50
      04-24-2019, 08:36 AM   #24
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
I am a hardcore bmw fanboy but that merc looks a million times better in/out to me
Me too. And at this level of luxury and price, I don't think 10th of second on the track performance really doesn't matter or the extra 400lbs of weight. Heck it's very rare to even see a C63 on the track, nor an M5. I've driven Maserati coupes and they don't drive any better than an M4 but the Maseratis still sell at double the price.. why? because of status symbol and the presence it has on the road.

At this level, it's about presence, luxury and showing who got more money. And I choose GT63. I just worked on one last night and the car is just everything I'd want for a sport family sedan that can hold its own next to Astons and Maseratis without breaking down every month. M5 might perform slightly better but looks just like another 4cyl 530i.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 4
bubbaboy107.50
jch1511190.00
jjasonSU194.00
soooma1373.00
      04-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #25
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
Me too. And at this level of luxury and price, I don't think 10th of second on the track performance really doesn't matter or the extra 400lbs of weight. Heck it's very rare to even see a C63 on the track, nor an M5. I've driven Maserati coupes and they don't drive any better than an M4 but the Maseratis still sell at double the price.. why? because of status symbol and the presence it has on the road.

At this level, it's about presence, luxury and showing who got more money. And I choose GT63. I just worked on one last night and the car is just everything I'd want for a sport family sedan that can hold its own next to Astons and Maseratis without breaking down every month. M5 might perform slightly better but looks just like another 4cyl 530i.
It's important to know the difference between objective and subjective criteria.
Objective criteria can be measured; like how quick and fast a car is. It cannot be debated.
Subjective criteria is someones opinion - it can be very much debated.

Your entire comment is subjective. For example - my cars aren't about "who got more money". That is your personality and what you care about.

The GT63 is a nice car - just as the E63S is a nice car. They weren't for me (subjective). Performance is important for me (subjective). And the F90 M5 is the quicker, better handling and faster platform (objective). So for me - it is more fun to drive (subjective).
Appreciate 7
onfireX53616.50
elbmw773.50
Vic5518962.50
VCP1390.00
      04-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #26
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:

I have reached a financial security point in my life that I could care less how much money other people think I have. I don’t hide it but I surely wouldn’t buy a vehicle as a financial yardstick. We buy cars for our enjoyment and what our needs are. I am use to getting worked over by Porsche with owning 911’s for 3 decades now. My local MB dealer has a nicely optioned polar white GT63 and after looking it over, my value meter says it’s a $120k car at best. It stickers at $163k. I know the sales manager very well and I just looked at him and asked who is this car targeted to at this price point? He just shrugged his shoulders and said “I know”.

Last edited by MystroX5; 04-24-2019 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 2
jjasonSU194.00
      04-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #27
bubbaboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp, F12 Berlinetta

Quote:
Quote:
I am a hardcore bmw fanboy but that merc looks a million times better in/out to me

Do you really think that there's almost no difference in looks of a 530i and an M5?
Appreciate 3
      04-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #28
somer
Major
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I have reached a financial security point in my life that I could care less how much money other people think I have. I don’t hide it but I surely wouldn’t buy a vehicle as a financial yardstick. We buy cars for what we think and what our needs are. I am use to getting worked over by Porsche with owning 911’s for 3 decades now. My local MB dealer has a nicely optioned polar white GT63 and after looking it over, my value meter says it’s a $120k car at best. It stickers at $163k. I know the sales manager very well and I just looked at him and asked who is this car targeted to at this price point? He just shrugged his shoulders and said “I know”.
Getting pretty much the same response from my dealer BMW friends about the m850i and m850i convertible and the coming M8/M8 Comp and all its variants. You have to imagine an M8 Competition Gran Coupe is going to be north of 170k with the bells and whistles.... why spend 50k more on that than an M5? Sure it looks better.. but 50k better? I say no way and imagine many others will as well. Especially when they see the lease rates are going to likely be low 50% area.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #29
Laserdude
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jet black e93 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Bring out the M8 Competition, asap.
BMW: roger

I'm excited for the M8 GC. But BMW need to 'aggressive the $hit' out of it because the M850i doesn't cut it to my eye.
I think they will. The m6 is aggressive but the 650i wasn't nearly as aggressive as the m850i, and the 850 isn't a full m either. So I think if they give an already aggressive car the m treatment it'll be great
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #30
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by somer View Post
Getting pretty much the same response from my dealer BMW friends about the m850i and m850i convertible and the coming M8/M8 Comp and all its variants. You have to imagine an M8 Competition Gran Coupe is going to be north of 170k with the bells and whistles.... why spend 50k more on that than an M5? Sure it looks better.. but 50k better? I say no way and imagine many others will as well. Especially when they see the lease rates are going to likely be low 50% area.
I would get a M850i before a GT63 as the MB is a sedan and a sedan can only get so sexy in its design. The M5C for $100k is a no brainer if a hard core performance sedan is what you need. This is what is going to kill the GT63 as it’s priced way too high and MB prestige and build quality isn’t that impressive to warrant the price.
In my car collection the M850i is a lifestyle vehicle and appeals to me for the $125k mark. 3.6 seconds 0-60mph is fast enough. Beyond that you are sacrificing ride quality and versatility to get any more tack like performance.

Last edited by MystroX5; 04-24-2019 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #31
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
It's important to know the difference between objective and subjective criteria.
Objective criteria can be measured; like how quick and fast a car is. It cannot be debated.
Subjective criteria is someones opinion - it can be very much debated.

Your entire comment is subjective. For example - my cars aren't about "who got more money". That is your personality and what you care about.

The GT63 is a nice car - just as the E63S is a nice car. They weren't for me (subjective). Performance is important for me (subjective). And the F90 M5 is the quicker, better handling and faster platform (objective). So for me - it is more fun to drive (subjective).
that is exactly what I'm saying. Mercedes is looking to earn business from subjective point. We all know they know how to build a performance car... F1.. but they purposely got into this market with the GT63. Not everything in life is objective. it's the balance between everything that makes us. I've never said M5 is worse performer. I'm just saying there is an appeal for a certain group for this car including me.

Quote:
I have reached a financial security point in my life that I could care less how much money other people think I have. I don’t hide it but I surely wouldn’t buy a vehicle as a financial yardstick. We buy cars for our enjoyment and what our needs are. I am use to getting worked over by Porsche with owning 911’s for 3 decades now. My local MB dealer has a nicely optioned polar white GT63 and after looking it over, my value meter says it’s a $120k car at best. It stickers at $163k. I know the sales manager very well and I just looked at him and asked who is this car targeted to at this price point? He just shrugged his shoulders and said “I know”.
I know you aren't buying cars that you feel over priced for the performance given because of the fact that we are in performance car forum such as this. I'm talking about majority of people. The GT63 is not targeted to us. It's targeted towards Aston Marin, Maserati, Range Rover buyers yet offering that solid German technology. I see a big appeal in this and so does MB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaboy View Post
Do you really think that there's almost no difference in looks of a 530i and an M5?
No. I can name cars in the pitch dark by looking at their headlights or taillights. I'm talking from a non-enthusiast's eyes like many of my colleagues. They can't tell the difference between 530 and M5. but GT63 is distinctly low, wide and big enough (road presence that a 5 series body can't match) that people will recognize instantly that it's an expensive car.

Last edited by termigni; 04-24-2019 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #32
siarhei
Registered
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Can anyone translate/summarize the conclusion and pick?
I'll try to do a quick summary here.

Guram: We've got one of the fastest Mercedeses in history here — AMG GT 63s. But it's brand new so we got to break it in to unlock the Race Start mode (launch control). Hence we're driving to St. Petersburg and back (from Moscow) to do that and pick up our friend Maksim and his M5 Competition.

We understand that those two are not direct competitors (M8 GC is coming) but for now, let's try and compare the fastest 4-doors from both makes.

Driving back to Moscow he tries to activate the Race Start mode with 1499 km on the clock — it doesn't work. Then he repeats with 1500 and enjoys a violent launch — the car is fully broken in.

9 minutes in he talks about the ingredients of the GT 63s: powerful motor, nice gearbox, carbon ceramic breaks, rear wheel steering, and active aerodynamics. The Nordschleife lap time is faster in the GT 63s than the standard M5 (no time for the M5 Comp yet).

He acknowledges the rear-wheel drive only option in the Mercedes and does some drifting, but mentions the Merc doesn't seem to like being a hooligan — it's cumbersome to engage the rear-wheel drive only mode (unlike a single button click in the BMW) and the burnouts are not consistent, so you might fail miserably if you plan to flex in front of your girlfriend.

13 mins in he talks about the BMW's 4.4 liter engine being a failure in the previous generation (F10) in terms of reliability. Although the engine is principally the same, the components have been redesigned so the hopes are it will be more reliable now.

He doesn't feel like the M5 Comp suspension is violently harsh, but the improvement of handling vs the standard M5 is noticeable.

Dyno + scales. Both cars are more powerful and torquey than the official numbers. The Merc's power curve is more impressive, but the car is heavier.

Those who say that Mercedes is not about speed but about luxury and comfort would be surprised that this one rides harsher than the BMW.

He likes the AMG's exhaust a lot. Its interior is also a winner — when you get in you feel your money's worth (unlike the BMW).

Maxim grapples with headrests being uncomfortable and no ventilated seats in such an expensive car.

Drag races. Pretty obvious. The M5 is slightly faster but they give its due to the Merc for keeping up given its extra weight.

Conclusion. Maksim being a bimmer fanboy jokingly suggests that the conclusion should be 'BMW is power', Guram tries to be objective. He says he expected the Merc to be significantly slower, so he's very impressed with the performance. Both of the cars are top vehicles, hence there are no losers. But there are disciplines at which one is better than the other:
— Drag racing, BMW
— Braking, BMW
— Exhaust, AMG
— Exterior, AMG
— Interior, AMG
— Price, BMW

Though you shouldn't choose based on the numbers and facts. You should choose with your heart. As for Guram, he's quite happy with his Trackhawk.

Last edited by siarhei; 04-24-2019 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 6
termigni1080.00
limeypride4418.50
Wolfman64811.50
MNoob1539.50
IancoleTX271.50
jjasonSU194.00
      04-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #33
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
that is exactly what I'm saying. Mercedes is looking to earn business from subjective point. We all know they know how to build a performance car... F1.. but they purposely got into this market with the GT63. Not everything in life is objective. it's the balance between everything that makes us. I've never said M5 is worse performer. I'm just saying there is an appeal for a certain group for this car including me.

I know you aren't buying cars that you feel over priced for the performance given because of the fact that we are in performance car forum such as this. I'm talking about majority of people. The GT63 is not targeted to us. It's targeted towards Aston Marin, Maserati, Range Rover buyers yet offering that solid German technology. I see a big appeal in this and so does MB.

No. I can name cars in the pitch dark by looking at their headlights or taillights. I'm talking from a non-enthusiast's eyes like many of my colleagues. They can't tell the difference between 530 and M5. but GT63 is distinctly low, wide and big enough (road presence that a 5 series body can't match) that people will recognize instantly that it's an expensive car.
You say you understand the difference but you keep saying things like “that a 5 series body can’t match - that people will recognize instantly that is an expensive car”. You only speak for you I’m afraid. Again - showing status and wealth is important to you - I get it. And you like the GT63 more than an M5 - I get that too.

That is your opinion.

It’s a slower car - in every way - that is a fact. That isn’t important to you.

I think that sums it up.
Appreciate 1
bubbaboy107.50
      04-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #34
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaboy View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Honestly I'm with this guy, other than the front and rear bumpers from 50' away to 99% of people it looks like a 530i... but on the flip side that's been the point of the m5 since day one
      04-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #35
Peter Lichtenstein
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post

AMG moves pretty well for a pig.
AMG is on 100 treadwear Sport Cup 2 racing tires (BMW only offers them on the hardcore M3 CS, M4 CS, M4 GTS)
M5 is on 220 treadwear P Zeros.
When AutoBild tested both cars on equal tires (P Zeros on M5, MPS4 on GT63S) the M5 was quicker around track.
It's crazy how Mercedes even offers Sport Cup 2's on a family saloon. It's dangerous to drive with Sport Cup 2's in the rain you're subjecting your ''family'' to danger.
Appreciate 2
VCP1390.00
      04-24-2019, 01:29 PM   #36
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
You say you understand the difference but you keep saying things like “that a 5 series body can’t match - that people will recognize instantly that is an expensive car”. You only speak for you I’m afraid. Again - showing status and wealth is important to you - I get it. And you like the GT63 more than an M5 - I get that too.

That is your opinion.

It’s a slower car - in every way - that is a fact. That isn’t important to you.

I think that sums it up.
I think you are getting personally offended for the fact that I stated what majority of people thinks about YOUR M5. but the truth is 530i does look very similar to M5 to non-enthusiasts' eyes. same as C300 looks very similar to C63. they are indeed different in my eyes.

M5 is in fact, yes I agree with you, a better performing car than GT63 as shown in this test. but I'm stating that performance per dollar is not the only buying factor for the rest of the world.

M5 has been that car that punches above its weight class for the past 20 - 30 years while looking like a normal family sedan. and this generation M5 follows this philosophy.

Last edited by termigni; 04-24-2019 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #37
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusem3 View Post
Honestly I'm with this guy, other than the front and rear bumpers from 50' away to 99% of people it looks like a 530i... but on the flip side that's been the point of the m5 since day one
thank you! To us enthusists, bmw fanboys and car lovers, they are indeed totally different cars but when I'm with normal people they really can't tell the difference especially with this generation 5 series. it's not like the M5 got widebody treatment like the M2s, M3s, and M4s got.

But when you see a GT63 coming down the road, anyone will notice how wide, low, long, aggressive, loud, and different it is compared to 99% of the cars next to it. that's why this GT63 exists. it's not about 10th of a second at the track for the best $$$.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #38
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
The GT63S's are sitting. Almost every dealer got an allocation for a Jupiter Red Launch version or 2 (some even 3) and at 169k msrp and a shitbox residual of 52% or lower with an MF around .00300 the car has had no traction (no pun cause its actually got grip LOL).

I just dont know how this car is going to move at that price point and I had made a comment months ago that this is the Panny Turbo version 2.0.

For this car to move it needs to have an attractive lease payment. If I did a basic lease calc at msrp on a 52% residual at .00300 the payment is about 3200 a month with 7.75% tax or around there. Fuck NO.
I see them all the time here in LA, in that matte gray color. I don't particularly think of it as an attractive car and just don't understand how so many people are willing to pay that much for it.

Cross shopping BMW sure I think the M5 is obviously the better value, but there are better options in Merc's own lineup.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 02:22 PM   #39
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

What’s wrong with looking like a 5 series? It’s a attractive design. It’s not like MB is anymore exclusive than BMW. Looking like a 5 series is not a negative but a positive extension of brand design continuity. A base 911 looks a lot like a 911 Turbo to the average person.
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      04-24-2019, 02:42 PM   #40
siarhei
Registered
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

The GT 63s is more of a baller, show off, flex car — the LA comment kinda proves it. The M5 is more of a sleeper, a beast that looks almost like an average $50K 5-series. To each his own.
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      04-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #41
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
I think you are getting personally offended for the fact that I stated what majority of people thinks about YOUR M5. but the truth is 530i does look very similar to M5 to non-enthusiasts' eyes. same as C300 looks very similar to C63. they are indeed different in my eyes.

M5 is in fact, yes I agree with you, a better performing car than GT63 as shown in this test. but I'm stating that performance per dollar is not the only buying factor for the rest of the world.

M5 has been that car that punches above its weight class for the past 20 - 30 years while looking like a normal family sedan. and this generation M5 follows this philosophy.
My entire point was the fact I don't care about what people think. YOU however do - as you have stated twice now; that people would know (if you owned a GT63) that you have "money". So that was a bad example you gave. In fact, the very reason why I enjoy my M5 CE is because it us under the radar. I don't need to stand out and show anyone, anything.
This is also my point: you don't have to agree with me about the objective points - because they are objective and cannot be argued; the GT63 is slower than a M5 CE in every measurable way. It is also - objectively - about 60K more expensive. So if "the rest of the world" and yourself - needing to show people you have coin - again this is hypothetically as you don't own a GT63 - and it is worth that extra coin - to you - cool.

Quote:
thank you! To us enthusists, bmw fanboys and car lovers, they are indeed totally different cars but when I'm with normal people they really can't tell the difference especially with this generation 5 series. it's not like the M5 got widebody treatment like the M2s, M3s, and M4s got.

But when you see a GT63 coming down the road, anyone will notice how wide, low, long, aggressive, loud, and different it is compared to 99% of the cars next to it. that's why this GT63 exists. it's not about 10th of a second at the track for the best $$$.
And again, with the subjective comments lol. “It's not about 10th of a second at the track for the best $$$”...yes...for you. You told us - you want to look like a baller (as per your comments).

I am an enthusiast - a fanboy would mean I don't look at logic and confuse objective and subjective criteria constantly - and simply imposed what I believed subjectively on everyone else as to what car is worth money and why it was built.

That said, the M5 IS understated (as I said above) - but it most certainly does not look exactly like a 530 unless you are speaking with people who have difficulty seeing and have zero interest in cars - which makes it a moot point anyway. Very similar? Yes. Identical? No. More importantly - and this is the key for a drivers car; same options, capabilities, drive and performance as a 530i? Hell No.

Only people seeing the outside of the car while I am driving it - isn't me.

Last edited by vtknight; 04-24-2019 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 02:48 PM   #42
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
What’s wrong with looking like a 5 series? It’s a attractive design. It’s not like MB is anymore exclusive than BMW. Looking like a 5 series is not a negative but a positive extension of brand design continuity. A base 911 looks a lot like a 911 Turbo to the average person.
LOL! YES! And because no one would know I have a Turbo S - I shouldn't get one - because it's about the other people and what they think about me, not what the car is capable of.

I guess I have done it again - TWO cars I should not have bought because they aren't sparking jealousy in other people.

I guess I have to lower my self confidence level.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #43
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:

How are you determining what a Majority thinks about the M5 styling ?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #44
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

The whole tread confirms my believe that performance for performance BMW cars are probably the most value for money.

Mercedes are high volume producing car manufacturers. Their cars no matter how attractive or expensive are very unlikely to command the same status as Aston Martins, Maclaren, Ferrari, Bentley.

So if buying an expensive car is for status symbol, I would advise not to buy high volume producing car brands like BMWs, Mercedes, Audi, Range Rover.

Again dollar for dollar for performance cars. BMWs represent a value. A good value. M5c and M2c came 2nd and 3rd in performance car of the year only beaten by a much more expensive track focused Porsche GT2 RS.