E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Blown amp

06-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #1
almcbs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i & FD RX7

Blown amp

Has anyone had a problem placing there amp under here?

Name:  IMG_1767.JPG
Views: 340
Size:  479.1 KB

This would be two amps I blew. Granted one was ancient, but this one I just got last week and it's already done for. Not sure if heat is a issue under here

Last edited by almcbs; 06-09-2015 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Are you buying an amp that is correct for your sub.

Are you buying an amp that is correct for your sub.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
almcbs
First Lieutenant
Rep

yes. ohms have been checked, and all connections have been checked.

4ohm dvc sub
rockford r500x1d amp
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Have you measured your power and ground connection

From the amp ground to the battery and power to battery.
with a meter for low resistance? And measured the power
voltage at the amp terminals.
Any indicators on the amp that tell you anything .
How did you tap the inputs for the amp off which system?
I am wondering if the amp only accepts a single ended input
and you are feeding it speaker signals and shorting out whatever
signal you are tapping. Of does it accept low differential or speaker outs
for Inputs.

Last edited by ctuna; 06-09-2015 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #5
almcbs
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
From the amp ground to the battery and power to battery.
with a meter for low resistance? And measured the power
voltage at the amp terminals.
Any indicators on the amp that tell you anything .
How did you tap the inputs for the amp off which system?
I am wondering if the amp only accepts a single ended input
and you are feeding it speaker signals and shorting out whatever
signal you are tapping. Of does it accept low differential or speaker outs
for Inputs.
hmmm i will try to answer some of this from what i understand lol. I haven't check the power and neg with meter but will do. what should i see?

no real indicators on the amp

technic harness for the connections.

the speaker wire is connected straight to the sub, the original wire was to short so i just added more speaker wire.

The amp was working perfectly fine for a few days (installed thursday). I noticed i wasn't getting bass yesterday. checked the amp and the pwr/protect light was blinking red/blue. Any time bass would hit the amp would go into protect mode then back out. With the speaker cables disconnected from the amp stays functioning no prob, but once i connect it back to the amp it starts flashing again. Checked the ohms and its at 1.9-2 ohms at the end of the speaker wire. I can hear the sub making little noises and rumbling when there is suppose to be bass. The a little poof happen and smoke came from the amp, so I'm sure the amp is blown.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
ajaye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcbs View Post
hmmm i will try to answer some of this from what i understand lol. I haven't check the power and neg with meter but will do. what should i see?

no real indicators on the amp

technic harness for the connections.

the speaker wire is connected straight to the sub, the original wire was to short so i just added more speaker wire.

The amp was working perfectly fine for a few days (installed thursday). I noticed i wasn't getting bass yesterday. checked the amp and the pwr/protect light was blinking red/blue. Any time bass would hit the amp would go into protect mode then back out. With the speaker cables disconnected from the amp stays functioning no prob, but once i connect it back to the amp it starts flashing again. Checked the ohms and its at 1.9-2 ohms at the end of the speaker wire. I can hear the sub making little noises and rumbling when there is suppose to be bass. The a little poof happen and smoke came from the amp, so I'm sure the amp is blown.
OK your sub is dual voice coil, each of which are 4 ohm? And they are wired in parallel?
Where is the crossover set?
Do you have the "punch eq" pegged?
If you have the hifi system, you are feeding the low level inputs of the amp a high level signal.
Also:

My man, speaker wire is a few dollars, and the amp is apparently seeing a 2 ohm load which means higher current demand on the signal end. Get some 12-14 gauge speaker wire and replace the spliced shit with an uninterrupted run for the love of god.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #7
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

The same voltage as at the battery basicly

The same voltage as at the battery basicly which would indicate
a good low resistance connection to the battery.

The point about the dual coils is should be checked.

Is the rest of your system still working?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think a wiring short
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #9
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

My jl 500/1 v2 slash is mounted in that location and I haven't had any problems since the install. Over a year now.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
almcbs
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaye View Post
OK your sub is dual voice coil, each of which are 4 ohm? And they are wired in parallel?
Where is the crossover set?
Do you have the "punch eq" pegged?
If you have the hifi system, you are feeding the low level inputs of the amp a high level signal.
Also:

My man, speaker wire is a few dollars, and the amp is apparently seeing a 2 ohm load which means higher current demand on the signal end. Get some 12-14 gauge speaker wire and replace the spliced shit with an uninterrupted run for the love of god.

yes, sub is dvc 4 ohm each. Wired in parallel to come out in to 2 ohms. I believe
its called parallel, ill post a picture.

Everything was set to the lowest setting except the gain which was set half way.

I have a logic 7 system and am using the technic harness to get the low level signal.

The amp can handle 2 ohms, which is what I was shooting for. The speaker wire is 14 gauge and replacing it with an uninterrupted one is def something i already had planned (set it up before going on a road trip, so just made it work)

Name:  1DVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  48.1 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post

The same voltage as at the battery basicly which would indicate
a good low resistance connection to the battery.

The point about the dual coils is should be checked.

Is the rest of your system still working?
I will check that today and post what i see. right at the end of the speaker wire i was registering 2 ohms.

the rest of the system is working perfectly fine.

The only possible issue i could see is where i connected the speaker wires together. I will be replacing that whole wire before the new amp goes in, but other than that I'm kinda stumped on what it could be and don't know how i would even test this.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 02:30 AM   #11
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Im guessing you were asking too much from that amp and it was clipping. I would replace it with something more powerful. An Alpine pdx m12 would do the job nicely or a more powerful Rockford amp.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 03:59 AM   #12
almcbs
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i
Im guessing you were asking too much from that amp and it was clipping. I would replace it with something more powerful. An Alpine pdx m12 would do the job nicely or a more powerful Rockford amp.
Normally I would think this too, except Rockford along with other said this amp is perfect for this sub. Also I didn't have the gain past half way and the bass eq on the radio was set at midpoint.

Also for power to the amp was showing 12.4v with car off and around 12.8v with the car on.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 08:39 AM   #13
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

google gain setting.

the gain is not a volume knob, it is used to match the level of your inputs. half way could very well be clipping.

other issues could be a short in your wiring, or a short in your sub. Both of these could cause issues for your amp. disconnect the speaker leads from the amp and check resistance with a multimeter.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 08:46 AM   #14
almcbs
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
google gain setting.

the gain is not a volume knob, it is used to match the level of your inputs. half way could very well be clipping.

other issues could be a short in your wiring, or a short in your sub. Both of these could cause issues for your amp. disconnect the speaker leads from the amp and check resistance with a multimeter.

I know it's not a volume knob but i will have to check out how to properly set it up. I will say that even when i turned the gain all the way down the problem was still there.

sub set up is dvc 4ohm wired to 2ohms. I believe thats parallel, but correct me if I'm wrong. I have disconnected the speaker leads and checked, i'm getting 1.9 - 2ohms.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #15
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I know it's not a volume knob but i will have to check out how to properly set it up. I will say that even when i turned the gain all the way down the problem was still there.

sub set up is dvc 4ohm wired to 2ohms. I believe thats parallel, but correct me if I'm wrong. I have disconnected the speaker leads and checked, i'm getting 1.9 - 2ohms.
sounds like the speaker side is ok then with those readings.

have you tried a differenet RCA cable? Still sounds like the gain wasnt set correctly though
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #16
almcbs
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post

another thing to check is for air leaks in the speaker enclosure. an air leak can cause a buzzing sound.
I will check for that today when i get the new amp in. Would an air leaks cause these issues?

I have not tried a different RCA cable, I will more than likely pick up another shorter cable today though when i get more speaker wire.

ps. Love the setup you have with the false floor! where did you get the matching fabric for your enclosure? I could find one to match at any local stores.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #17
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I will check for that today when i get the new amp in. Would an air leaks cause these issues?

I have not tried a different RCA cable, I will more than likely pick up another shorter cable today though when i get more speaker wire.

ps. Love the setup you have with the false floor! where did you get the matching fabric for your enclosure? I could find one to match at any local stores.
air leaks wouldnt cause your sub to stop playing. I got 2 threads confused, one with buzzing and yours.

i ended up ordering it through a local shop. Any high end shop should be able to get you a carpet that is at least close.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #18
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87
Quote:

have you tried a differenet RCA cable? Still sounds like the gain wasnt set correctly though
Not necessarily. You could have leads touching when too long if they are bouncing over bumps etc. have had it happen
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:54 PM   #19
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

At half gain you could possibly be clipping. The trunk traps in most of the sound if you don't have your subs setup efficiently. If you raised the bass knob to make up for that I can see it happening.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 04:04 AM   #20
almcbs
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, hopefully that was the issue.

Got the new amp installed and it's working perfectly. I got the gain turned all the way down until I can set it properly. I check every point along the way with a multimeter to make sure it was all good.

Also ran a new speaker wire and rca cable.

Each voice coil was = 3.3ohm
At the terminal cup thing = 1.7 ohm
End of speaker wire = 1.7 ohm
Power = remained the same as before

Hope everything is good this time
Appreciate 0