BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    HPDE day at Laguna Seca

09-11-2019, 04:08 PM   #1
DaveTheWav3
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

HPDE day at Laguna Seca

Had a really good time last week at Laguna Seca. Unfortunately I didn't get a single clean lap in running in group D (Advanced with open passing), but my buddy Jason running in Group C did a 1:46.2, which is screaming fast on a warm afternoon on old tires and with a 220 lbs passenger.

Best Lap Laguna Seca Sep 3 2019
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
Next Phase
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Thanks for sharing! How did the brakes hold up? Any fade during your sessions?

Anything you can share about your track prep? What brake fluid are you running?

I plan to take mine out to VIR once it gets here. Haven't seen much posted on the forums about the F90 on track.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 06:36 AM   #3
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

I did 6 days of HPDE with my stock M5 Competition at Mt.Tremblant circuit this summer, stock Pirelli PZero PZ4 tires.

I'm in the Intermediate group so there are Advanced and Instructors groups ahead of me.
In my group, only 2 cars were able to pass me over a 2 days event: Porsche GT3 RS and a McLaren 720s.
I was able to give them both a ride for their money and able to pass them again in different areas of the track, was fun.

2 previous track days, NO car was ever able to pass me in my group.
1 previous track day, only a M4 CS, modified with camber plates, race tires and race brake pads was able to pass me. The M4 CS was also driven by a excellent driver and instructor @CanAutM3.

The last event was Sept. 9th and wasn't feeling top shape so I drove conservatively. I did let people pass me all day long and was able to easily follow them with 40-60% throttle. Braking was the most interesting as I felt they were braking much earlier than I usually do and at lower speeds.

Brakes are very strong, no fade at all. I drive in the Sports 4WD so the leftover nannies are trying to control the back wheels a little more and I had to change the rear pads after 5 days at the track. The OEM pads are actually made by Pagid.

Had to change the front Pirellis after 5 track days, the rear tires are still holding up.

Brake oil I have is Motul.

Next year, a dedicated set of wheels and better tires is in order to exploit the full potential of the M5 Comp.

The M5 Competition is doing things at the track that a car this heavy shouldn't be doing. I love it.
      09-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
Next Phase
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth70mde View Post
I did 6 days of HPDE with my stock M5 Competition at Mt.Tremblant circuit this summer, stock Pirelli PZero PZ4 tires.

I'm in the Intermediate group so there are Advanced and Instructors groups ahead of me.
In my group, only 2 cars were able to pass me over a 2 days event: Porsche GT3 RS and a McLaren 720s.
I was able to give them both a ride for their money and able to pass them again in different areas of the track, was fun.

2 previous track days, NO car was ever able to pass me in my group.
1 previous track day, only a M4 CS, modified with camber plates, race tires and race brake pads was able to pass me. The M4 CS was also driven by a excellent driver and instructor @CanAutM3.

The last event was Sept. 9th and wasn't feeling top shape so I drove conservatively. I did let people pass me all day long and was able to easily follow them with 40-60% throttle. Braking was the most interesting as I felt they were braking much earlier than I usually do and at lower speeds.

Brakes are very strong, no fade at all. I drive in the Sports 4WD so the leftover nannies are trying to control the back wheels a little more and I had to change the rear pads after 5 days at the track. The OEM pads are actually made by Pagid.

Had to change the front Pirellis after 5 track days, the rear tires are still holding up.

Brake oil I have is Motul.

Next year, a dedicated set of wheels and better tires is in order to exploit the full potential of the M5 Comp.

The M5 Competition is doing things at the track that a car this heavy shouldn't be doing. I love it.
Thanks for the reply, I can't wait to get the M5 on track. I use Motul 600/ 660 on my other track cars with great results.

I can't wait to hurt some feelings out there!
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #5
DaveTheWav3
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Phase View Post
Thanks for sharing! How did the brakes hold up? Any fade during your sessions?

Anything you can share about your track prep? What brake fluid are you running?

I plan to take mine out to VIR once it gets here. Haven't seen much posted on the forums about the F90 on track.
Everything was stock. Brakes never faded over 60+ laps.
Appreciate 0