BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Daily ride comfort:M5 competition

05-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #23
jw3571
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911

I've now driven two M5C's and am about to pull the trigger. I really don't understand what people are talking about the firm ride. It feels really comfortable to me, i'm used to driving sports cars though.
Appreciate 1
JDC PDX139.00
      08-31-2019, 10:44 PM   #24
Slow Walker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Black M5 Comp

Just ordered a 2020 M5 comp had a 2009 M3. The M3 was a daily driver for about 5 years and it was never too harsh. Granted I was a lot younger. Been in a Lexus for about 3 years (wife made me ). Can anyone compare the ride of an M5 comp to an E92 M3?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 12:09 AM   #25
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Walker View Post
Just ordered a 2020 M5 comp had a 2009 M3. The M3 was a daily driver for about 5 years and it was never too harsh. Granted I was a lot younger. Been in a Lexus for about 3 years (wife made me ). Can anyone compare the ride of an M5 comp to an E92 M3?
Night and day.

M5 is super smooth when you want to and super stiff in Sports+ for the track.
      09-01-2019, 03:00 AM   #26
Billyboy
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 F90

There is no right answer to this, but I'll let you know my opinion. The first two M5 rides I had was with the C. Needless to say, I loved driving those. They were firmer than I'm used to (had 525D before, now I drive a 535i), but that is completely forgotten when you do a back road.

As a daily driver though, I will be spending a whole lot more time on the main roads in the traffic, and going over speed bumps. If the there was only the M5C, I'd be perfectly happy with owning one.

Then I tried the M5 base, and thougt «YES!!» there it was, the perfect car. For me, the base is the perfect compromise.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 12:48 PM   #27
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Have about 1k miles on an M5C, came out of a 16 X5M. Ride in Comfort is very supple, including bombed out roads in NJ. It's no luxo barge but the suspension and the fantastic seats absorb pretty much everything. I daily drive it in Sport mostly, and with less traffic in Sport+ (here it gets pretty stiff especially on uneven surface, but that's expected).

I've not test driven a base M5, but had a 2013 550xi and a 2011 E92 M3, so have some reference points. I can't see how anyone would find M5C in comfort ... uncomfortable, but it is highly subjective.
Appreciate 1
josec704051.00
      09-01-2019, 01:23 PM   #28
M 4EVER
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240/M5/X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
"m5 competition is set up to be a much better track car than the regular m5"

OP, you do know this car still weighs 4200lbs right? or did BMW's marketing fool you that hard?
Agreed
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #29
STi2M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 MG/SO M3 (on order)

I find M5 Comp to be a little embarrassing with passengers on horrible Boston roads, even on comfort. That being said I would buy it again because I love the cosmetic differences and the knowledge in my head that it has moar power.
      09-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #30
MarkNewM5COMPETITION
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmag View Post
What are your opinions on the ride comfort of the M5 competition. I know it has a stiffer ride than the regular M5 but is it livable as a daily driver? I know the M5 competition is set up to be a much better track car than the regular M5 but most people including myself will rarely if ever take this car to the track...it will be driven 99.99% of the time on regular roads. So in this regards, how does it perform in terms of daily ride comfort?
Had the 2019 M5 Competition for 7 months and live in NYC. I couldn't get the hang of it. Everytime i had a cup of coffee in the morning by the time i got to my destination half the cup was empty because of the bumpiness of the car. Sold it, got the 2019 S560 Benz, save money everyday on coffee 😬
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #31
LexProf
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

I just drove an M5C for about 20 minutes as part of the M Tour. I owned an E90 M3 for about 9 years as a daily driver, and am now in a 2018 M550i (have been driving it for about 18 months). I drove the M5C in Comfort all the way to Sport Plus dampening settings and thought it was fine. It is nowhere near as compliant as the M550i of course, but the ride in the M5C on comfort was totally doable for me as a daily. That having been said, the car did have some constant squeaks and rattles over minor bumps and seams. That was a bit of a bummer, and undoubtedly a consequence of the firmer ride. But that's the only thing that concerned me, not the ride comfort. Now, granted, I can't speak to ride fatigue on bumpy roads, as I was only on side streets for about 12 minutes of the drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 10:11 AM   #32
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

My M5C rides harder than my Huracan Performante with both cars in comfort setting. I still love it but I use it less and less as I have other cars that are more comfortable on our bumpy roads.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #33
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

My car is in the shop for service and driving an X3 loaner has reminded me of just how harsh the ride in the M5C really is. I enjoy it...but it does not ride like a luxury car, that's for sure. it's so much fun to drive that I overlook the harsh ride but it is harsh and you do feel every bump in the road.

By comparison, the X3 is smooth as butter.
      09-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #34
mcdokika
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 CP

Really it all depends where you live. I did worry about this a lot before I purchased the car but later realised that it's all about the quality of the roads in the country you live . In the UK most roads are crap compared to roads in Germany, Italy, Austria etc... So I bought the car and like it but it's everything but comfortable.

When I went on holiday to EU car turned into a smooth comfy sportsedan ! Completely different car it was .Such a huge difference OMG.

Bottom of the line, if you have good roads around then this is car can be very comfortable however if roads are shite with rough surface you will have to choose a different car or just live with it as M5 CP in the UK even in Comfort mode is NOT comfortable .
      09-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #35
JDC PDX
Car Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List Below

Garage List
1990 Ferrari 348tb  [0.00]
2019 M5 Competition  [10.00]
2016 GT3 RS  [0.00]
2016 675 LT Spider  [10.00]
1997 911 RWB  [10.00]
The only way to truly tell if the car will work for you is to go drive one. I happen to love the ride of the M5C, but that is purely subjective. I prefer a firmer suspension. At times, even sport suspension seems soft to me.

Good luck with your decision.
      09-09-2019, 07:43 AM   #36
OMGU812
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

I’ve got a C63s (coupe), which I’m going to keep for the weekends. It rides...stiffly. (I love it though - I’ll never get rid of it). I wanted to get a daily driver that I could push when I wanted, but would be comfortable on a ride around town (I live in Houston - to say that our roads are terrible is an insult to terrible roads everywhere).

I tested an m550i, an M5 and and M5 comp. True Goldilocks situation for me. For me, the m550i was too soft and the M5 comp was too harsh. I wanted to like the Comp - but it rode very similarly to my AMG. If I hadn’t driven my AMG for the last 2 years, I’d probably have ordered the Comp, but given what I’m going for - the “regular” M5 was perfect for me. I’m really glad they have the option!
Appreciate 1
Simon H874.50
      09-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #37
norbtx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGU812 View Post
I’ve got a C63s (coupe), which I’m going to keep for the weekends. It rides...stiffly. (I love it though - I’ll never get rid of it). I wanted to get a daily driver that I could push when I wanted, but would be comfortable on a ride around town (I live in Houston - to say that our roads are terrible is an insult to terrible roads everywhere).

I tested an m550i, an M5 and and M5 comp. True Goldilocks situation for me. For me, the m550i was too soft and the M5 comp was too harsh. I wanted to like the Comp - but it rode very similarly to my AMG. If I hadn’t driven my AMG for the last 2 years, I’d probably have ordered the Comp, but given what I’m going for - the “regular” M5 was perfect for me. I’m really glad they have the option!
lol at that comment. I guess it really does depend on which city you live in. I couldn't agree more, the comp would be too harsh on Houston streets. I live inside the loop where Metro buses really tear up the right lanes. I've had my share of stiff riding cars, glad the M5 is pretty soft on comfort mode.
      09-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #38
OMGU812
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbtx View Post
lol at that comment. I guess it really does depend on which city you live in. I couldn't agree more, the comp would be too harsh on Houston streets. I live inside the loop where Metro buses really tear up the right lanes. I've had my share of stiff riding cars, glad the M5 is pretty soft on comfort mode.
So you're happy with it - that's great to hear! I drove them all up on the North side, and even there, the Comp was harsh going over expansion joints. The poor thing had 11 miles on it and it was creaking pretty good (just like my C63). I don't mind the creaking, but it just speaks to the stiffness of the frame. Great on a track, not so good in Htown!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #39
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Colors and Comfort are two things that you cannot resolve for yourself on a forum. Everyone had different tastes for color and needs/wants/perceptions for comfort. It like explaining what purple smells like.

Forget colors for now, but comfort. I drove every variant of the 5 series recently. Wife owns a 2018 G30 530iX Drive I own a 2019 540IX M Sport. and I attended a BMW track day featuring the M2, M340, M5, and M5C.

I can tell you the 530ix with the 18" rims is the most comfortable (compliant) but its got a good bit of body roll in the corners. My 540 is really an amazing piece of machinery and to me the value for the $ is there. The M550i I only drove on the street and at the time I was ordering the new model was being announced and the outgoing M550ix was no longer being built and the new one not released for build so that was out. The M5 is everything my car is with bigger balls and a super exhaust note. I'd be very happy driving it all day. Ride comfort mirrors my car (with the M Sport Suspension all day long) In comfort both my car and the M5 are super excellent daily drivers for all but the most princess and the pea people. The M5 really pulls itself around the track with ease for a 4,XXX lb. car its just awesome.

Jumped out of the M5 and into the M5C. We were not allowed to dial up Sport+ (locked out on both the M5 and M5C) but I drove several laps in both. The speed is not very different to my butt dyno. The Brakes were worlds apart. The ceramics are worth it if you track. Not sure about DD duties. I have ceramics on my other vehicle and they are dustless and great except for the first stop or two of the day.

The M5C with the ceramic brakes allowed for later braking and the instructor on board called it stabbing the brakes in the M5 and Harpooning the brakes 1.5 flags later in the M5C.

Comfort is not all that different when your full out but there was a cool down lap after each session. No doubt the M5 was softer and more suspension travel. The M5 has a Little more roll in the twisties but nothing I could not live with daily and nightly 24x7. The comp is for the person that

1. Wants the top of the top of the line -Bragging rights
2. Wants the extra bit of handling that I'd peg at M5 8.9/10 to the M5C at 10/10.
3. The Comp will most likely be harsher by a wider margin off the track but on the track I'd say you could be hard pressed to tell the difference.
4. If you have the coin get the ceramics. They don't fade even when being toasted. Check cost of replacement before you dive in. I'm sure they are not cheap !

So that's my assessment. If I could I'd rock the comp the little bit more of everything is worth the $ as I don't mod my cars and maybe the little extra bits help me stay happy longer stock even if its just in my head. To say with is better is splitting hairs.

I don't mind the firmer ride, but my little kids and wife prefer the ride in her 530. The older one always wants to take mine.

If you are considering either of these beasts you cannot go wrong. I just hope that you guys that rock these remember how lucky (and I know you work hard for them) you are to be able to sport the Apex predators of the 5 passenger 4 door, usable trunk, car world.

I've driven all the 4 door power houses from Audi, Benz and even Porsche (4 door variants) and for the $/Value/fun factor the M5 and M5C are way ahead by a large margin. IMHO You would have to spend way more $ to get something not quite as good. (Save the Porsche interior)

Last edited by jsf721; 09-10-2019 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
vitaly67.50
      09-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #40
OMGU812
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post

If you are considering either of these beasts you cannot go wrong. I just hope that you guys that rock these remember how lucky (and I know you work hard for them) you are to be able to sport the Apex predators of the 5 passenger 4 door, usable trunk, car world.

I've driven all the 4 door power houses from Audi, Benz and even Porsche (4 door variants) and for the $/Value/fun factor the M5 and M5C are way ahead by a large margin. IMHO You would have to spend way more $ to get something not quite as good. (Save the Porsche interior )

but that's relative to callin
What a great review. Thanks for this!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #41
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

You know I just though of this but if you really cannot decide between the two M5 and M5Comp

Sign up for the M Track attack Day $ 495/half day and $ 995/full day. I don't think you need to be an owner to do it.

You drive their cars all day.

After that you will have the experience to make the correct choice for you.

Plus I swear its the most fun I have has in years. I felt like a little kid again.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 09:00 PM   #42
norbtx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

Yea but it’s only on a smooth track.
      09-10-2019, 09:33 PM   #43
SSM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexProf View Post
I just drove an M5C for about 20 minutes as part of the M Tour. I owned an E90 M3 for about 9 years as a daily driver, and am now in a 2018 M550i (have been driving it for about 18 months). I drove the M5C in Comfort all the way to Sport Plus dampening settings and thought it was fine. It is nowhere near as compliant as the M550i of course, but the ride in the M5C on comfort was totally doable for me as a daily. That having been said, the car did have some constant squeaks and rattles over minor bumps and seams. That was a bit of a bummer, and undoubtedly a consequence of the firmer ride. But that's the only thing that concerned me, not the ride comfort. Now, granted, I can't speak to ride fatigue on bumpy roads, as I was only on side streets for about 12 minutes of the drive.
I drove that M5C at the M town tour at 2 different dealers. On both occasions the car had 43 lbs in the tires and of course it was rattling inside. I observed one driver while I was in the M2C just fly over bumps on his drive. People really push those cars hard. The best way to compare the Base M5 and the M5 Comp IMO is to go to a dealer that has both and test them on the same route over streets and the highway back to back and make sure the tire pressure is correct,

2023 M5 Comp Skyscraper Grey,Executive Pack, Drivers Assistance, B&W, 789's.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 07:31 AM   #44
OMGU812
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM5 View Post
I drove that M5C at the M town tour at 2 different dealers. On both occasions the car had 43 lbs in the tires and of course it was rattling inside.
I am wondering about creaking. During my test drive (I drove all cars over the exact same route), the M5C mad a fair bit of noise, the M5 had none. They both had the same mileage, both driven in comfort, same pressure, etc. I’m sure over time, even the M5 will loosen up and creak a bit. My C63 creaks - especially during the winter - but not terribly.
Appreciate 0