BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    "Break-in" period

06-25-2019, 12:32 AM   #45
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeleon View Post
Sometimes I feel the reason BMW and other companies created the break in period is really for the drivers. They "say" that you can't do certain things but it is really to keep the new drivers of high performance cars from driving off the lot and getting to an accident. If they say that you can't rev too much or go too fast, it gives people time to adjust and get used to the car. Well at least some people.
That's what I feel too, if going over 5500 is really detrimental to the car, BMW would have hard limited it until after 1200 miles instead of trusting driver's self discipline
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 12:02 AM   #46
jc16
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f90 m5 comp

since my engine knock issue at 3000km im worried i messed up the break in procedure. do you guys think it was just a faulty engine or the way i broke in the engine? Did hard pulls to 5-6k rpm might of redlined briefly a few times. i always waited till the oil gets to the middle of the meter before i push the car. i might of babied it for the first 2-300km but it was 100km home from the dealer on the highway. Went over 200km/h briefly a few times as well it was just hard to keep it within bmw instructions. Drove the car in manual lots to vary the rpm especially during highway driving(lots of downshifting). There seem to be many of you that dont follow the recommended break in procedure as well so please tell me if i did anything wrong. Bmw is currently swapping out my engine so i would like some tips on how to break in the new engine when its done. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 02:34 AM   #47
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc16 View Post
since my engine knock issue at 3000km im worried i messed up the break in procedure. do you guys think it was just a faulty engine or the way i broke in the engine? Did hard pulls to 5-6k rpm might of redlined briefly a few times. i always waited till the oil gets to the middle of the meter before i push the car. i might of babied it for the first 2-300km but it was 100km home from the dealer on the highway. Went over 200km/h briefly a few times as well it was just hard to keep it within bmw instructions. Drove the car in manual lots to vary the rpm especially during highway driving(lots of downshifting). There seem to be many of you that dont follow the recommended break in procedure as well so please tell me if i did anything wrong. Bmw is currently swapping out my engine so i would like some tips on how to break in the new engine when its done. Thank you
IF you as you say warmed the engine up and did not exceed 5.5K rpm that should be fine. I think your engine had a fault, not your running in procedure, if BMW thought it was down to your driving they would not put a new engine in the car at there expense.
jc1622.00
      06-27-2019, 11:33 PM   #48
jc16
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f90 m5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
IF you as you say warmed the engine up and did not exceed 5.5K rpm that should be fine. I think your engine had a fault, not your running in procedure, if BMW thought it was down to your driving they would not put a new engine in the car at there expense.
i hope you are right because i plan to do the same on the new engine once bmw is done with it. maybe run it a little harder in the beginning. anyone know if its a good idea running in manual downshift and holding higher rpms for longer periods to vary the rpms? or just drive it normally in auto? i wonder what they do with all the faulty engines
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #49
northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 2019

I thought I would chime in on the break-in techniques for new brake rotors / pads. I would be careful on threshold braking mentioned above so as to avoid ABS activation... that rapid on/off from the ABS controller might set up an irregular burnish pattern which might increase the odds of inducing the harmonic squeal we all want to avoid in the first place. Anyone think that makes sense?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #50
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northtorque View Post
I thought I would chime in on the break-in techniques for new brake rotors / pads. I would be careful on threshold braking mentioned above so as to avoid ABS activation... that rapid on/off from the ABS controller might set up an irregular burnish pattern which might increase the odds of inducing the harmonic squeal we all want to avoid in the first place. Anyone think that makes sense?
We are talking about ENGINE brake in.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #51
northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
We are talking about ENGINE brake in.
Well I feel like an idiot! So... I was reading the brake in thread and some how ended up over here posting about brakes instead of break-ins... wtf?
Anyhow, I stand before you all, humbly apologize and shall accept your wrath.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 06:22 PM   #52
northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I have "Never" broken/bedded in "M" car brakes, just drove normal and used the gears all the time to slow, and never had a brake problem or a squeak out of any. This includes CCB and Steel rotors.
Actually, I think it was johnmbem5 posting the above earlier in this thread that confused me. Blimey you say!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 04:14 AM   #53
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northtorque View Post
Well I feel like an idiot! So... I was reading the brake in thread and some how ended up over here posting about brakes instead of break-ins... wtf?
Anyhow, I stand before you all, humbly apologize and shall accept your wrath.
No Probs.
      07-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #54
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '%E2%80%9909 e92 m3, '19 X3, %

best break in service: floor it where you want and enjoy!
      07-27-2019, 10:41 AM   #55
bradleyjs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5B, 2006 E60 550i

Garage List
I had a strange experience at the service department yesterday. I took my car in to get a ceramic coat (cilajet) application to the exterior/interior and I only had 219 miles on the odometer. They insisted that due to “time” the 1200 mile break-in inspection/fluid change was going to be accomplished. I challenged their decision but they were adamant about doing it. So, I left it to them and went on my merry way. I picked the car up this morning (they gave me an X3 as the loaner - yuck!!!) and the paperwork and car shows they did the inspection.

Has anyone had their 1200 mile inspection done so soon?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 01:54 PM   #56
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyjs View Post
I had a strange experience at the service department yesterday. I took my car in to get a ceramic coat (cilajet) application to the exterior/interior and I only had 219 miles on the odometer. They insisted that due to “time” the 1200 mile break-in inspection/fluid change was going to be accomplished. I challenged their decision but they were adamant about doing it. So, I left it to them and went on my merry way. I picked the car up this morning (they gave me an X3 as the loaner - yuck!!!) and the paperwork and car shows they did the inspection.

Has anyone had their 1200 mile inspection done so soon?
That is a fecking joke, never do the RIS with so little miles. I would be angry. They are totally incompetent.
JK-M561.00
      07-27-2019, 04:21 PM   #57
bradleyjs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That is a fecking joke, never do the RIS with so little miles. I would be angry. They are totally incompetent.
That’s exactly what I thought! Just wasn’t sure if it was a common “best” practice or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #58
bradleyjs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
FYI (a follow-up from a previous post) - I contacted Fields BMW (here in Orlando) about the lacking 1200 mile servicing and they told me that when I’m ready (I had full left knee replacement surgery on Wednesday - I can’t drive the car yet) to bring it back in and they’ll perform a proper servicing.

Last edited by bradleyjs; 08-03-2019 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 08:50 PM   #59
northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
FYI (a follow-up from previous post) - I contacted Fields BMW (here in Orlando) about the lacking 1200 mile servicing and they told me that when I’m ready (I had full left knee replacement surgery on Wednesday - I can’t drive the car yet) to bring it back in and they’ll perform a proper servicing.
Hope your knee heals quick! Take your anticoagulant and do your foot dorsiflexion / plantarflexion exercises lol.

Regarding your dealer offering to “redo” the break-in service: if they truly want to perform the proper service they should allow an adequate duration of break-in of the differentials / mechanicals with the proper original viscosity break-in lubricant and only THEN change it out to the post break -in hypoid oil. That said, should be ok to do another break-in service with the new fluids after a slight longer duration has again elapsed (say 1500 miles) but I am just guessing / extrapolating. As far as the time thing - tell your dealer to stuff it as they were being an ass. They had your car in and figured they could do a mandated scheduled service way earlier than indicated and get paid for it. The only time saved was theirs as the car was already in for another issue. They were not thinking of you or your car. I did, however, have my break-in service done intentionally a bit early at just over 1050 miles as I was heading out for a 1300 mile round trip that same week so it made sense to change fluids a bit early in my case. Minor details but most of us on here are likely not neurotypical.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 03:12 AM   #60
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
FYI (a follow-up from a previous post) - I contacted Fields BMW (here in Orlando) about the lacking 1200 mile servicing and they told me that when I’m ready (I had full left knee replacement surgery on Wednesday - I can’t drive the car yet) to bring it back in and they’ll perform a proper servicing.
Well thats good, hope you recover quickly, I had a Hip Replacement 3 weeks ago, walking without pain or sticks now, good luck.
      08-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #61
bradleyjs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks guys - great advice! I needed to go to the pharmacy today to get some more meds and my wife said she would take care of it. I told her that I need to get up and start exercising my leg/knee. So, I decided to try and drive myself. I did it and feel much better in doing so. Plus, I was itching to drive my new 3-week old car anyway as it’s been a good motivator!

I have a nurse and a physical therapist stop by a couple times a week. When I was in the hospital, I got plenty of training/exercise so much so to the point that I could barely move my leg.

Hip replacement sure is something I hope to avoid in the future. That surgery and its recovery seems like it could have some long-term pain associated. However, I’m not getting any younger (mid 50’s) these days and am just trying to enjoy life!

I’ll plan on racking up some more miles before I take it back to the dealer for a much more thorough inspection. That does make the most sense. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 02:36 AM   #62
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Hip replacement sure is something I hope to avoid in the future. That surgery and its recovery seems like it could have some long-term pain associated. However, I’m not getting any younger (mid 50’s) these days and am just trying to enjoy life!

I’ll plan on racking up some more miles before I take it back to the dealer for a much more thorough inspection. That does make the most sense. Thanks again!
Bradley, I am 70 year young mate but FIT, which makes recovery quick, good luck and get moving.
      08-05-2019, 04:03 AM   #63
bradleyjs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Roger that - Sir!

Ps. I was able to hobble around w/out a walker/cane for 90% of the day. I’m just trying to be “normal” again!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 12:58 AM   #64
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C

Quote:
Roger that - Sir!

Ps. I was able to hobble around w/out a walker/cane for 90% of the day. I’m just trying to be “normal” again!
Nice! Hip replacements have come a long way! A buddy of mine just did his and he's more mobile than he has been in years. His recovery was quicker than I would have ever imagined.

Carry on stronger!!
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #65
Quinn A
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Is the break in service just an oil change?
2022 Cayenne Turbo coupe Catless/ Tune
2022 Huracan STO
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 10:14 PM   #66
bradleyjs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytyme View Post
Nice! Hip replacements have come a long way! A buddy of mine just did his and he's more mobile than he has been in years. His recovery was quicker than I would have ever imagined.

Carry on stronger!!
I just saw this message Hockey, guess I overlooked it. I had a full left knee replacement surgery @3 weeks ago and it’s still being a pain. I must have not made that more clear in an earlier post, sorry.

The doc just told me in Thursday that it will take at least 6 months to get back to normal. Well, it been well over 20 years I’ve had the knee issue, what’s another 6 months?!

Last edited by bradleyjs; 08-24-2019 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0