BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Wheel bearings?

08-31-2019, 07:40 AM   #1
hoffmeister
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2016 M4, 2015 X5 5.0

Wheel bearings?

Getting a clicking sound from the front driver side wheel in hard right turns. Seems to "click" faster/louder with cornering force. Anyone experience similar?

I took the wheel off and no obvious damage to any of the boots/etc in the wheel well.

Will send in to the dealer but just curious if anyone else has seen this.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
yvnrg1981
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Mine clicks lightly when I back out and turn but not all the time. Have not tried to listen on harder turns, windows usually up as to not hear the brake squeal.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=clicking
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

There is a thread on this forum somewhere,
I had the same light clicking noise when turning the wheel.
I had BMW check for the wheel bearing etc. all was good.
Turned out to be after the break in service they did not tighten the stiffing plates bolts under the car enough. I will try to find the post.

Here it is read this
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1529616
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 07:26 PM   #5
hoffmeister
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Very helpful. Thank you both. Will let everyone know what they tell me
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #6
hoffmeister
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update. Dealer says the car needs both front axles replaced. On order from Germany will take a few weeks. Car ok to drive so i will get it back. All under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 10:00 PM   #7
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Frozen Bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmeister View Post
Update. Dealer says the car needs both front axles replaced. On order from Germany will take a few weeks. Car ok to drive so i will get it back. All under warranty.
yikes!

the clicking was also an issue on the F85 X5Ms as well, but bearings were the issue there. BMW could never fully solve it. and some had to live with it
      09-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #8
Eurohorses
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 Jahre G80 M3

Quote:
Getting a clicking sound from the front driver side wheel in hard right turns. Seems to "click" faster/louder with cornering force. Anyone experience similar?

I took the wheel off and no obvious damage to any of the boots/etc in the wheel well.

Just had my front left bearing replaced under warranty last week. Mine clicked when performing full locks to park/u-turn etc. I had the same issue on my M6 so i know exactly what it was.
      04-09-2022, 12:21 PM   #9
durjf90m5
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW m5 f90

Quote:

Hello Hoffmeister! I have the same issue as you. The sound gets worse the faster and harder I take turns in both directions.

Did new front axels solve that sound issue? Did the dealer ever tell you what the issue was with the axels?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 12:22 PM   #10
durjf90m5
Singapore
Rep

Quote:

My car started developing that sound at 25,000 miles. It’s a base 2019 F90 M5
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 04:14 PM   #11
hoffmeister
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by durjf90m5 View Post
Quote:

My car started developing that sound at 25,000 miles. It’s a base 2019 F90 M5
Yes. Totally fixed it and never came back. Sold the car and presently awaiting a m8 gc so dont have it anymore but was totally fine for over a year after that
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 04:17 PM   #12
hoffmeister
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

One more thing- i was lucky my dealer knows me pretty well, recognizes i buy a lot of cars from him and really listens if I have an issue. I will say it was a very subtle sound and i was grateful they didnt try to push back on it. That said, i think other posts here also confirm this issue is not abnormal for big heavy high powered bmws. Especially if you drive em like you stole em (which in theory is what they are designed for).
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2022, 04:48 PM   #13
durjf90m5
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
One more thing- i was lucky my dealer knows me pretty well, recognizes i buy a lot of cars from him and really listens if I have an issue. I will say it was a very subtle sound and i was grateful they didnt try to push back on it. That said, i think other posts here also confirm this issue is not abnormal for big heavy high powered bmws. Especially if you drive em like you stole em (which in theory is what they are designed for).
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. It is much appropriated. I definitely drive my car how it's meant to be driven. It's in Singapore where the car is USD400,000 bucks lol. The I told the dealer if I wanted to drive slow than I would get a 520i (and yes they have those too in Europe and Asia!)

Anyways so far they have changed the brakes disks thinking I was some dirt or something trapped between the caliper and the rotors. That did not solve anything so after that they replaced the bearings however the clicking sound still exists.

After seeing your post I have told them that the same part (front axles) probably needs replacement. The dealership still thinks their "experts" believe it's dirt trapped between the brake rotor and caliper. My M5 has been with them for over 40 days and at the point the only thing that's stopping me from getting furious is the fact that they have given me a brand new 8 series to drive around since day one.

Btw below is one of our drives in our 'Mexico' lol

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 09:44 AM   #14
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. It is much appropriated. I definitely drive my car how it's meant to be driven. It's in Singapore where the car is USD400,000 bucks lol. The I told the dealer if I wanted to drive slow than I would get a 520i (and yes they have those too in Europe and Asia!)

Anyways so far they have changed the brakes disks thinking I was some dirt or something trapped between the caliper and the rotors. That did not solve anything so after that they replaced the bearings however the clicking sound still exists.

After seeing your post I have told them that the same part (front axles) probably needs replacement. The dealership still thinks their "experts" believe it's dirt trapped between the brake rotor and caliper. My M5 has been with them for over 40 days and at the point the only thing that's stopping me from getting furious is the fact that they have given me a brand new 8 series to drive around since day one.

Like I said in the other thread haha cv axles) it's the only thing really that clicks while turning on a car... so based off ops response and my intuition I'd have the dealer check them out
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 09:48 AM   #15
durjf90m5
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Quote:

Like I said in the other thread haha cv axles) it's the only thing really that clicks while turning on a car... so based off ops response and my intuition I'd have the dealer check them out
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Quote:

Hello! I just picked my car up and you wouldn't believe what the fox was. They took apart the pads and rotors and did a proper cleaning lol. There is no more clicking sound!

Thank you and everyone else for all the advice!
Appreciate 0