BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    F90 M5 Competition vs 540hp Evolve Tuned F80 M3: RWD Drag, Rolling Race and Braking

04-06-2019, 11:01 PM   #23
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
instead of using [COLOR="Red"]launch control w/ between 50-99% throttle[/COLOR] that will give the quickest launches.
That's not possible. The throttle pedal needs to be fully depressed with the kickdown button engaged for launch control to be activated. As soon as the kickdown button is released, launch control is disengaged.
He is talking about controlling his launch rather than actual launch control, which obviously only works one way.

At least I hope…
      04-07-2019, 06:07 AM   #24
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADawgFan View Post
wonder how modded the f80 is... but otherwise fun video
It has evolve tune which gives 510 hp, dp full exhaust, lowering (Springs or coil over not sure) evolve wheels plus the eventuri stuff.

Overall not impressive as an ESS E-tronic makes more power than that car and has much better coding.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #25
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
That's not possible. The throttle pedal needs to be fully depressed with the kickdown button engaged for launch control to be activated. As soon as the kickdown button is released, launch control is disengaged.
So in relatively perfect irony, it turns out I was confused as well (I've always had manual BMWs and don't use launch control in other peoples' cars)

"Basically, it’s just like activating Launch Control but with a slight difference. When you activate LC you have to press the acceleration pedal to the floor, beyond the kick down pressure point, however you like. Remember this, it’s important.

The Smokey Burnout is activated just the same only that on cars that have this function, they way you press the gas pedal matters. If you press it gradually (slowly) you’ll activate launch control. If you smash it (press it hard and quick) you’ll enter the Smokey Burnout mode and you’ll burn a lot of rubber."

I learned of this feature when a friend of mine who works for BMW took me for a ride in an M2 before they officially went on sale, I joked with him about how useless BMW launch control was because all it did was engage the clutch instantly and do a giant burnout. He was confused, parked the car and engaged launch control and to my surprise the car hooked up and took off quickly in a way I had never felt a DCT car do before and he showed me the two different ways you can use launch control in some M-DCT equipped cars. I thought it was controlled by how far you press the throttle when engaging the launch control feature but evidently it's actually controlled by how quickly you floor the throttle...even more confusing than I thought.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #26
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
So in relatively perfect irony, it turns out I was confused as well (I've always had manual BMWs and don't use launch control in other peoples' cars)

"Basically, it’s just like activating Launch Control but with a slight difference. When you activate LC you have to press the acceleration pedal to the floor, beyond the kick down pressure point, however you like. Remember this, it’s important.

The Smokey Burnout is activated just the same only that on cars that have this function, they way you press the gas pedal matters. If you press it gradually (slowly) you’ll activate launch control. If you smash it (press it hard and quick) you’ll enter the Smokey Burnout mode and you’ll burn a lot of rubber."

I learned of this feature when a friend of mine who works for BMW took me for a ride in an M2 before they officially went on sale, I joked with him about how useless BMW launch control was because all it did was engage the clutch instantly and do a giant burnout. He was confused, parked the car and engaged launch control and to my surprise the car hooked up and took off quickly in a way I had never felt a DCT car do before and he showed me the two different ways you can use launch control in some M-DCT equipped cars. I thought it was controlled by how far you press the throttle when engaging the launch control feature but evidently it's actually controlled by how quickly you floor the throttle...even more confusing than I thought.
Sorry, but I call on that.

There's some debunking needed for that mythical "smokey burnout mode". Launch control is launch control, when you see the little flag and the message, LC is engaged, regardless of how quickly you press the accelerator to get it engaged. However, when one just quickly mashes the accelerator quite heavily (does not need to be to the floor nor engaging the kickdown button), the ECU will raise the engine RPM before dumping the clutch, resulting in a "smokey burnout". This is not a "special mode", it's just how the M-DCT have always worked.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 10:34 AM   #27
pfl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Some slow cars

Quote:
Quote:
instead of using [COLOR="Red"]launch control w/ between 50-99% throttle[/COLOR] that will give the quickest launches.
No kick down is needed for my CS to launch. Just 100% throttle but no kick down button, at least in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #28
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
Carwow is an absolutely pointless channel.
It is still pretty fun. Just don't take it too seriously and just enjoy it.
Appreciate 1
BMW953.00
      04-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #29
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Sorry, but I call on that.

There's some debunking needed for that mythical "smokey burnout mode". Launch control is launch control, when you see the little flag and the message, LC is engaged, regardless of how quickly you press the accelerator to get it engaged. However, when one just quickly mashes the accelerator quite heavily (does not need to be to the floor nor engaging the kickdown button), the ECU will raise the engine RPM before dumping the clutch, resulting in a "smokey burnout". This is not a "special mode", it's just how the M-DCT have always worked.
When we did the experiment in that DCT M2, both times we had the LC flag displayed on the dash but when smashing the throttle to the floor quickly while enabling LC, the actual launch (after taking foot off the brakes) involved the clutch engaging instantly and frying the rear tires with hardly any forward progress. This is how Carwow always launches and you can often see him jamming his foot down on the throttle prior to the launch.

When my friend applied the throttle a little more gradually to turn on LC, he still launched with his foot flat on the floor and never tried to modulate the throttle himself but I could feel the DCT’s clutch slipping to manage traction without having to cut the engine’s power or dump all the boost. It was a massive difference and the car fired out of the hole in a big hurry.

I had leased a 335is with DCT in the past but I think that car could only launch in the first way, or at least that’s all I ever had happen the handful of times I used Launch Control. You’d always hear the bang as the clutch engaged fully followed by tons of spin and a slow start.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 01:13 PM   #30
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I don't take Carwow too seriously and actually enjoy the majority of the content. (Even though they don't seem to know how to properly launch an F90).
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #31
DrEd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 DCT

Quote:
Yet again another pointless drag race from CarWow .

In the standing start, the M5 clearly got the jump on the modded M3. Which makes the entire race inconclusive.
This ill will towards CarWow and Matt Watson is becoming bit of a recurring theme on here. I have no personal allegiance to Matt or to CarWow for that matter however there are a few things some might benefit from knowing before throwing rather baseless barbed comments in future.

Matt is a bonafide motoring journalist (you do the searching...) who cut his teeth doing the base car tests before progressing. He has not changed his character or approach from day one, making him genuine beyond fault. If you don’t like (or even understand ) his regional accent or quirks that’s good, we’re all entitled to our opinions.

Personally, Mr. DeMuro’s impossibly high Kermit the Frog tones grate with me but I do respect the man’s work and would not seek to criticise but would openly offer differing views to his, as and when they do arise.

If people wish to criticise the ‘science’ of CarWow’s approach, this is also fine. Matt is pretty open and honest about the flaws in each of his comparison tests but come on, as many have already alluded to, this is all a bit of fun from which we may all draw our own conclusions.

Last edited by DrEd; 04-07-2019 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
BMW953.00
      04-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #32
cbertels
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 YMB-SS

I want to follow the people on this board to their job and heckle. Everybody anonymously clowns these reviewers and get so butt hurt at any video that doesn't align with their preconceived ideas. Tape a week at your day gig and post it up for the rest of the armchair experts.
Appreciate 1
BMW953.00
      04-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #33
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

That's absurd. Let me tape my week and edit the content to be exactly what I want shown. That's what these videos are. These aren't just live feeds. And they put them on the internet themselves. Therefore criticism is fair game.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #34
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbertels View Post
I want to follow the people on this board to their job and heckle. Everybody anonymously clowns these reviewers and get so butt hurt at any video that doesn't align with their preconceived ideas. Tape a week at your day gig and post it up for the rest of the armchair experts.
If I were to spew as much imprecise BS on my day job as these journos do, I would be fired in a heartbeat

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
Jo-Sta07474.00
      04-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #35
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEd View Post
This ill will towards CarWow and Matt Watson is becoming bit of a recurring theme on here. I have no personal allegiance to Matt or to CarWow for that matter however there are a few things some might benefit from knowing before throwing rather baseless barbed comments in future.

Matt is a bonafide motoring journalist (you do the searching...) who cut his teeth doing the base car tests before progressing. He has not changed his character or approach from day one, making him genuine beyond fault. If you don’t like (or even understand ) his regional accent or quirks that’s good, we’re all entitled to our opinions.

Personally, Mr. DeMuro’s impossibly high Kermit the Frog tones grate with me but I do respect the man’s work and would not seek to criticise but would openly offer differing views to his, as and when they do arise.

If people wish to criticise the ‘science’ of CarWow’s approach, this is also fine. Matt is pretty open and honest about the flaws in each of his comparison tests but come on, as many have already alluded to, this is all a bit of fun from which we may all our own conclusions.
It's nothing against Matt Watson, I actually like his reviews and journalistic style. I just find their empirical tests completely inconclusive and pointless.

Appreciate 1
Jo-Sta07474.00
      04-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #36
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When we did the experiment in that DCT M2, both times we had the LC flag displayed on the dash but when smashing the throttle to the floor quickly while enabling LC, the actual launch (after taking foot off the brakes) involved the clutch engaging instantly and frying the rear tires with hardly any forward progress. This is how Carwow always launches and you can often see him jamming his foot down on the throttle prior to the launch.

When my friend applied the throttle a little more gradually to turn on LC, he still launched with his foot flat on the floor and never tried to modulate the throttle himself but I could feel the DCT’s clutch slipping to manage traction without having to cut the engine’s power or dump all the boost. It was a massive difference and the car fired out of the hole in a big hurry.

I had leased a 335is with DCT in the past but I think that car could only launch in the first way, or at least that’s all I ever had happen the handful of times I used Launch Control. You’d always hear the bang as the clutch engaged fully followed by tons of spin and a slow start.
Just think about the absurdity of that concept, it just does not make sense. Further, it is nowhere stated in the owner's manual. I've doodled enough with LC on my car to know that it isn't the case.

Appreciate 1
      04-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #37
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfl View Post
No kick down is needed for my CS to launch. Just 100% throttle but no kick down button, at least in my experience.
You do need to engage kickdown to activate launch control. See tutorial from BMW-M:
Attached Images

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-07-2019 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #38
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
You do need to engage kickdown to activate launc control. See tutorial from BMW-M:
But why must I use my right foot?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 08:25 PM   #39
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

how much whp does the m3 make?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 01:23 PM   #40
gabriel.psd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 AW 6MT

Garage List
2004 330ci  [0.00]
im shocked to my core that an m3 with a bunch of more power running stock wheels and tires was months slower.

Shocked. to. my. core.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 06:45 AM   #41
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 / Nissan GTR

I enjoyed watching. Roll race and brake tests were informative. They clearly show some of the numbers they quoted were measured on different days, in different cars. That information is to be taken with a big grain of salt. Still, Some info is better than none.
Appreciate 0