Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Question about Front Lip

04-29-2024, 01:06 PM   #1
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i: RIP '18 440i MPPSK

Question about Front Lip

This question is specifically to those who have/had a Front Lip (Note that I did not ask for everyone's opinion about whether front lips look good or not, or whether you would or would not do it personally). This is for those that HAVE/HAD:

I have a Pre LCI (2020) M340i. I like the aggressive look of the lip, skirts, diffuser, spoiler, etc.

I bought mine off of eBay for about $139. Gloss Black. It was cheap and a bit flimsy, but was easy to install and looked pretty decent.

I bought a cheap flimsy one, because I feel like this is going to take a lot of abuse. And I will probably need to replace it every year or two, regardless of buying a cheap one off eBay or a more expensive one from a proper shop.

I live in upstate New York. We have some brutal winters and lots of deep pot holes in the spring. They also love speed bumps at the shopping centers and small villages.

For those that do have a front lip: Do you buy cheap and replace often? Does buying a better quality one hold up or do they all crack just the same? Are there any tricks to helping it last?

My first one lasted just over a year. And it would have lasted longer, if I didn't make a stupid mistake. I drive very careful and always on pot hole patrol, because I know the lip is low. But, one morning in late winter, I took her to the car wash when it was brutally cold outside. CRACK. And once it cracked - it just started getting worse and worse. Lesson learned. Should never wash the car in that cold anyway. lip or not.

Looking for advice. I don't mind spending more money - if it's going to be more durable. But if they all break just as frequently - then cheap it will be haha.

Secondly: I had mine on with 3m tape and screws. However, I am getting a brand new front bumper put on (right now) and painted. And I would rather not drill, if not needed. I have read that some have only used 3m tape. But I read about one guy who . . his front lip flew off on the highway, because it was only held on with tape.

Looking for suggestions.
      04-29-2024, 07:09 PM   #2
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

When I had my F10 I bought the genuine MP carbon front lip which down here was several thousand dollars.

No matter how hard I tried it lasted about six months before I hit it on a curb. As it was carbon (no flex) it pretty much shattered.

On my M2 I went with Chinese copy which were a few hundred dollars and replaced them almost yearly.

On my M340 I have put a black plastic (flimsy) unit which cost about $150 and I expect I will be replacing it every year.

The one I have is held on with 3M tape and the standard screws in the front bumper.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 05:24 AM   #3
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i: RIP '18 440i MPPSK

Thank you for that info.

Sounds like the way to go is to buy cheap and replace often. I think if I had the genuine MP CF one, I would have cried if it shattered in 6 months. I am just a dude, out there living the dream . . way beyond his budget LOL. Those types of mishaps HURT me bad

As I was researching options for a new front lip, I also googled for alternative options. Was curious if a non-screw option existed. Or something that would be a bit more flexible material.

What I found was almost humorous. Apparently they make this universal LIP that is made from some sort of flexible rubber. It comes on a roll and uses tape. You basically fit it around your bumper and cut it to size with scissors.

Let me just say that (IMO) . . . shit looked gaudy as all hell LOL. But it did take me back on memory lane . . . back to the good ol days when I was a teen. How many of us (embarrassed to say I was part of this lol). . shopped at stores like the former WHEELS Discount Auto, where they sold plastic hub caps and neon license plate frames, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
When I had my F10 I bought the genuine MP carbon front lip which down here was several thousand dollars.

No matter how hard I tried it lasted about six months before I hit it on a curb. As it was carbon (no flex) it pretty much shattered.

On my M2 I went with Chinese copy which were a few hundred dollars and replaced them almost yearly.

On my M340 I have put a black plastic (flimsy) unit which cost about $150 and I expect I will be replacing it every year.

The one I have is held on with 3M tape and the standard screws in the front bumper.
      05-04-2024, 09:13 PM   #4
zachBMW
Zach
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

Garage List
go cheap, live in PA and on stock ride height and still have almost cracked my lip numerous of times in my 7 months of having my bimmer
Appreciate 0