BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
lazytrax
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M / E46 M3

BMW Apps - Are you getting it?

anyone here getting the bmw apps? I saw the little commerical preview thing they got on youtube for the BMW Apps but dont know what i'll be using it for.. The only thing usage out of this BMW App is the facebook/twitter plugin thing and the web radio. Do you guys think they are going to add more features or will this be it?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Yes, I'm definitely getting it.

I don't do FB/Twitter, but I do like Internet Radio, and who knows what else they'll add in the future. $250 is too cheap for me to pass up, the potential is there.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Yes, I'm definitely getting it.

I don't do FB/Twitter, but I do like Internet Radio, and who knows what else they'll add in the future. $250 is too cheap for me to pass up, the potential is there.
+1

I have ordered it as well
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

I read about it and didn't order it.
As far as I understand "BMW Apps", it does not include applications directly on your car system, but does grant access to specific apps on your iPhone.

So you won't be using internet radio with the built in mobile card in the car, but use an app on your iPhone that does.

I might be wrong, but that's how I understood it: http://www.bmw.de/de/de/newvehicles/...apps.html#more

Sorry, in German. Trying to find it in English.

Quote:
Endless possibilities: with the apps for the new BMW 1 Series Coupe will complement the entire range of BMW ConnectedDrive to another unique feature: the first time ever, Web-based services such as Facebook, Twitter, web radio BMW-specific use in the vehicle.
More

Thanks to the special equipment Apps *, an Apple iPhone ™, and the free app "BMW Connected" from the Apple App Store, you can quite easily select using the iDrive system, international web radio stations or even outside your home or office, the latest status reports or Facebook and Twitter accounts can display.

You just have to install the app "BMW Connected on your iPhone and connect it via USB interface or Snap adapters with the iDrive or BMW. Thus, all are displayed with the app content available on the Control Display in the vehicle. And all functions can be safely and comfortably controlled with the iDrive controller.
Edit: Read it again and yes:
- Install a BMW app on your iPhone
- Use your iPhone through iDrive

Edit2: Not that bad that google translater thingy.
      03-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
lazytrax
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M / E46 M3

I will most likely order it when time comes.. Just hope there is more to it than just facebook/twitter and web radio. I love the Tunein app for iphone. You get all sorts of cool internet radio. If the 1M is equipped with a 1/8"miniplug input you can just plug that in and have web radio. It seems as if the current BMW App isn't a complete list of radio stations that Tunein offers. Wonder if it will ever be as complete as the Tunein App for iphone.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Yes. One of the reasons I chose the 1M over the RS3.

BMW tech seems to me to be more advanced than other similar manufacturers especially with their Apple integration.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
Joer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

Yup will definitely be getting it when my car arrives!

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
elitt13
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: 1///M Coupe & ///M2 CS DKG

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M coupé  [10.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
I've take te bmw iphone apps

03-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I ordered it, because I feel that BMW won't stop at just Facebook and Twitter. Upgrades will likely improve it regularly.
C///M
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
kgifford51101
South Jersey
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 DCT /'08 E90 M3 6MT

Since the price was low, I went for it. I am not sure how often I will use it, but what's another $250 on top of $50k
-2008 X5 3.0 Monaco Blue/Black
BMW CCA Member 289061
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

That is the $5350 question, isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
AW 1M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

The app is available for download free from the iTunes App store. The internet radio is worth the price for me. It also has integration with the onboard navigation. Now all I need is the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #13
jdbunda
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW 1M View Post
The app is available for download free from the iTunes App store. The internet radio is worth the price for me. It also has integration with the onboard navigation. Now all I need is the car.
Don't you already get internet radio anyway with either Bluetooth through A2DP or the USB adapter? That was my understanding, but of course, could be wrong.

It's not that expensive, but I was told if you get Apps, you also need to get the iphone cradle for the console (and give up that cubby to the phone cradle). When you do this, your phone uses the car antenna, you get better signal. But I don't think it's necessary to use the iPhone audio features.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #14
LeMansM5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

yes, for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:29 AM   #15
AW 1M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Who knows what features will be available in a year or two. As a gadget junkie, I can't imagine not getting it.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:35 AM   #16
BadM4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 IND TANZANITE COMP M4

yes its on my list
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 06:00 AM   #17
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I don t need it i use the 1M only were its made for. Drive max attack on track or having 2 smoking rear tires when going fully sideways.

I twitter the movie when i am at home.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #18
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
At first I was very skeptical because I find absolutely no use for Twitter and Facebook in a car (and frankly in real life, as I don't care to know whether my friend fed his cat with Chicken of the Sea, or with Friskie). I thought: great, now I can see chicks talking (not hands free) with cell phone tucked between shoulder and ear, one hand applying nail polish to other, all while driving of course. I actually have seen that very same scenario, in the neighboring lane! LOL And now, give same chick the power to simultaneously FB! (granted, car needs to be stationary, but you know a hack will come out soon to disable that, already seen it done for internet usage in Europe).

But the internet radio is definitely a cool feature to have, especially since Sirius/XM continue to look very shaky and their long term future is a questionmark. Personally, I'd be fine having Pandora thru the iPhone, but I recon over time more car and other apps will be rolled out and made available through this, so may be indeed worth the $2xx.

I'm attaching a doc that described BMW Apps in greater detail (has been posted prior in a different thread).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW Apps.pdf (449.1 KB, 266 views)
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #19
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

No need for facebook or twitter, but I bought the Apps anyway, hoping interesting future apps will appear.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #20
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
I don t need it i use the 1M only were its made for. Drive max attack on track or having 2 smoking rear tires when going fully sideways.
Exactly that was my first thought, Andre. Then I started to do a little research on what exactly apps can already do in a BMW and what is theoretically possible. Data acquisition. Onboard video with data overlays. Imagine that and mix in the data from the cars various CPUs. With the help of a technology were components cost a couple of hundred Euros and not thousands. If the app option is actually an interface BMW is providing, then I am sure, you will see professional-level lap-timing and data acquisition apps, that use this functionality, very soon.
      03-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #21
1M Fan
SMSgt
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Garage List
1012 F150  [0.00]
1971 Chevrolet Nova  [0.00]
2011 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post

Exactly that was my first thought, Andre. Then I started to do a little research on what exactly apps can already do in a BMW and what is theoretically possible. Data acquisition. Onboard video with data overlays. Imagine that and mix in the data from the cars various CPUs. With the help of a technology were components cost a couple of hundred Euros and not thousands. If the app option is actually an interface BMW is providing, then I am sure, you will see professional-level lap-timing and data acquisition apps, that use this functionality, very soon.
That will be cool. I got it for the Internet radio.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #22
E821M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M/330CI ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
At first I was very skeptical because I find absolutely no use for Twitter and Facebook in a car (and frankly in real life, as I don't care to know whether my friend fed his cat with Chicken of the Sea, or with Friskie). I thought: great, now I can see chicks talking (not hands free) with cell phone tucked between shoulder and ear, one hand applying nail polish to other, all while driving of course. I actually have seen that very same scenario, in the neighboring lane! LOL And now, give same chick the power to simultaneously FB! (granted, car needs to be stationary, but you know a hack will come out soon to disable that, already seen it done for internet usage in Europe).

But the internet radio is definitely a cool feature to have, especially since Sirius/XM continue to look very shaky and their long term future is a questionmark. Personally, I'd be fine having Pandora thru the iPhone, but I recon over time more car and other apps will be rolled out and made available through this, so may be indeed worth the $2xx.

I'm attaching a doc that described BMW Apps in greater detail (has been posted prior in a different thread).
LOL. This is exactly how I feel about facebook/myspace. Some people post what they ate for breakfast, when they go to the bathroom, where they are going on vacation, etc. It truly is amazing how some people (not everyone) on these social networking sites are just flat out self-centered and believe everyone out there cares about what they are doing or what they are going to do. I don't believe these sites are inherently wrong, it just seems some people use them for the wrong reasons when they were originally intended for connecting with other people, not to be someones personal bragathon.
Appreciate 0