BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Picked up my M5C!!!

01-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #1
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Garage List
Last month, I was so close to placing an order for a Cayman GT4 to replace my F82 and I ended up with an M5C. Well, it was meant to be.

Was at my local dealer last month and saw this car on their floor and was blown away. In all honesty, the M5 was never on my radar, until then.

Started speaking to the rep and he gave me the keys to his boss's car and asked me to take it for a long drive. 300kms over long, winding, beautiful and challenging Australian Country roads and city traffic was good enough for me to find out what an amazing car the M5C is. Most importantly, the big boss (my wife) was totally sold. It also had all the options that I would have picked in my build albeit I may have chosen a different exterior and interior colour to match.

I was secretly hoping that I wouldn't like the car and was trying to find reasons to still stick with the GT4. But it was not really a valid comparison, a super saloon vs a proper sports roadster. I couldn't decide and wished if I could just have both.

Told my rep that I wasn't sure and will get back to him. I have a good rapport and have bought a few cars through the dealership and the rep knew me well. He called me the next day and offered a cracker deal (>14% off MSRP) and that was the push over the line for me. Icing on the cake was that the car was there and no waiting game and chip shortage BS.

So here I am with a new M5C and I am so glad that I made this choice.

- 2021 M5C in DG, full black interior and black chrome CF trim
- Feb 21 Build, arrived at the showroom June 21 and thanks to the LONG Melbourne lockdown, the car has since been waiting there for me
- All options excluding CCB, Gesture Control and Indulgence Package
- Won the tyre lottery - Michelins 4S. Felt like I won the $10mill lotto!
- Full XPEL Ultimate Plus PPF and Ceramic coating
- I don't usually do mods, except M Performance CF parts, which I will get to eventually

My initial thoughts with 2000kms of driving the M5C: (Take it with a pinch/bag of salt)
- Bowers and Wilkins. Yes, it's probably not the greatest but by far the best sound system I have had in any of my cars, especially coming from an HK in my last 3 x cars. It's looks pretty damn classy and cool too!
- Seat comfort. These seats are massive and reduces the rear leg room space a fair bit and I felt you ended up with the same legroom as a G80 but man they are comfy.
- The elephant in the room; the engine. Oh my! Although, the exhaust notes could have been much better but considering the current regulations I am more than happy that we Australians don't get the dreaded OPF and there are still pops and bangs and a decent sounding exhaust.
- The car masks it's size and weight really well. Proud to say that Australia has a lot of beautiful, winding and pretty empty country roads. I took mine and the test drive car that I got to the most challenging ones I know around me and never once felt that I was driving a big saloon. The car was so competent and in all honesty, I am not competent to test this car's fullest limits and will never be
- Never been a big fan of the ZF but I have to say it suits this car and it's character more than the DCT and it's smooth as! Also, my first 4wD car and let's say I am happy that I can push it more than my tempermental F82 in rainy and cold conditions (which is pretty much 8 months in a year here in Melbourne).
- Interior quality is fantastic and the Plethora of options iDrive 7 offers. Although, it feels like a bit too much for me at times. I miss the beautiful, timeless analogue dials in my M4 with the perfect blend of digital clustering. I fear I will grow tired of this digital cockpit very soon like I did in my F32.
- A few minor things that I found bloody annoying - the seat preset buttons are now on the door in an awkward spot instead of being above the seat adjustment controls. I found it very hard to get to them while driving, especially at night! I have the brightness at minimum as the digital gauges are too bright for me. Also, my car doesn't seem to have the option to match the ambient lighting colour for the B&W speakers.
- The steering feel is actually pretty good, probably because my expectations were rock bottom. It is a bit too thick and my fingers / palms need a lot of adjusting and flexing in the weeks ahead. I don't like the basic paddles. Wish they had offered a more sporty and longer one. Especially the plastic feel at that back is not to my taste.

Also, here are some farewell shots of my F82. What a car and IMHO, the best looking BMW of the modern era.

And thanks if you've read this far!
Attached Images

Appreciate 12
Alberta1976.50
MNoob1539.50
saveywil1230.50
JOHNBMWM51987.50
Slugsy01155.50
limeypride4418.50
snowbimmer5002.50
Mamba279.00
Simon H874.50
      01-08-2022, 10:17 AM   #2
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Congratulations!

Agreed on the paddle shifters. BMW uses the same paddle shifters in all their cars, M or not. I switched them out to the carbon option for the M3. Not great, but better.
      01-08-2022, 10:33 AM   #3
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoob View Post
Congratulations!

Agreed on the paddle shifters. BMW uses the same paddle shifters in all their cars, M or not. I switched them out to the carbon option for the M3. Not great, but better.
That's my plan as well. They also offer the G8x paddles shifters in the M5CS. I don't mind them and they are def better than the stock ones.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 10:35 AM   #4
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Great story and congratulations!

The only mod I did on my M5C are the paddle shifters.

I bought a set of MMR Performance Aluminium Billet Gear Shift Paddles from Evolve in the UK. They are perfect.
      01-08-2022, 10:42 AM   #5
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

Same as I told my pal with an F10 M5C, I don't even bother with the paddles. The gbox and engine are so well suited. I just use the M1/2 buttons that are configured to sport, D2/sport+,D3...he was like wth???
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 10:47 AM   #6
Bluehorseshoe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Gorgeous. Enjoy!
Appreciate 1
TEGRITY616.50
      01-08-2022, 11:06 AM   #7
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth70mde View Post

I bought a set of MMR Performance Aluminium Billet Gear Shift Paddles from Evolve in the UK. They are perfect.
Thank you, will check them out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlude View Post
Same as I told my pal with an F10 M5C, I don't even bother with the paddles. The gbox and engine are so well suited. I just use the M1/2 buttons that are configured to sport, D2/sport+,D3...he was like wth???
Haha. Will need to play around with the combinations. Will check out the config you have mentioned. Although, I like the feel / connection that you get from paddle shifting. So still will change them
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2022, 11:09 AM   #8
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEGRITY View Post

Haha. Will need to play around with the combinations. Will check out the config you have mentioned. Although, I like the feel / connection that you get from paddle shifting. So still will change them
Btw, DG is awesome colour though I am biased as I have same haha.
Enjoy this fantastic machine. Hybrids and EVs are just not the same
Appreciate 1
TEGRITY616.50
      01-08-2022, 01:07 PM   #9
Namelss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport

Congrats! Looks great in DG. I’m at just over 5 months waiting for mine. I had a dream last night that it finally arrived and the dealer sold it out from under me. I have M anxiety.
Appreciate 1
TEGRITY616.50
      01-08-2022, 04:26 PM   #10
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Thanks for your detailed review, enjoy!
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 1
TEGRITY616.50
      01-08-2022, 07:34 PM   #11
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlude View Post
Quote:

Btw, DG is awesome colour though I am biased as I have same haha.
Enjoy this fantastic machine. Hybrids and EVs are just not the same
Yes, I wasn't so sure about DG and asked some other members in the forum before locking it in. The colour is growing on me for sure.
This might the last V8 M car for what we know, so totally happy with that!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 07:36 PM   #12
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namelss View Post
Congrats! Looks great in DG. I'm at just over 5 months waiting for mine. I had a dream last night that it finally arrived and the dealer sold it out from under me. I have M anxiety.
I can only imagine. I hate waiting, especially for a car. Hopefully your car arrives soon!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 07:47 PM   #13
RIM3
RI BMW
Rep
Drives: M5

Congratulations

Great review and best of luck it's a beauty!
Appreciate 1
TEGRITY616.50
      01-08-2022, 08:16 PM   #14
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

That thing looks bananas. Enjoy it!

Couldn't agree more about the F80 generation styling. It looked so good from every angle, and just had such an aggressive look, without looking like a Gundam. I could barely keep my eyes off of mine. I think it will age well.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
TEGRITY616.50
      01-09-2022, 12:03 PM   #15
BMA89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Congratulations!

That's my plan as well. They also offer the G8x paddles shifters in the M5CS. I don't mind them and they are def better than the stock ones.
Quote:
Quote:
Congratulations!

I added red paddle shifters and love the new sportier look.

Congrats on the car! Looks amazing
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TEGRITY616.50
      01-09-2022, 03:47 PM   #16
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMA89 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Congratulations!

Quote:
Quote:
Congratulations!

Thanks! Those shifters looks nice and matches with the M buttons. What make are they?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 05:47 PM   #17
BMA89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Congratulations!

Quote:
Quote:
Congratulations!

Thanks! Those shifters looks nice and matches with the M buttons. What make are they?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Congratulations!

Quote:
Quote:
Congratulations!

I didn't want to spend a lot as it wasn't a huge concern of mine so I ordered these from Amazon ($90) and I'm glad I did as they look great, very sturdy, and work flawlessly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 07:16 PM   #18
THX138
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

These are awesome! Are they hard to swap out?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 07:22 PM   #19
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Congratulations!

Quote:
Quote:
Congratulations!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Congratulations!

Quote:
Quote:
Congratulations!

I didn't want to spend a lot as it wasn't a huge concern of mine so I ordered these from Amazon ($90) and I'm glad I did as they look great, very sturdy, and work flawlessly.
Great thanks. That ticks all the right boxes, I guess.
Appreciate 1
BMA89223.50
      02-04-2022, 06:43 AM   #20
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth70mde View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Congratulations!

Quote:
Quote:
Congratulations!

I bought these stick-on ones from
https://autogiftua.com/products/padd...31-g32-g11-g12

They are proper metal, feels solid and fits and sticks perfectly. Can't go wrong at the price and looks pretty good. More importantly no labour involved!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 07:59 AM   #21
brainYi
Rep
Drives: 2022 m5

new paddles look great!
Appreciate 0