BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Bootmod3/ProTuningFreaks Dilemma

01-03-2022, 08:47 PM   #1
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Bootmod3/ProTuningFreaks Dilemma

I AM POSTING THIS ON THIS FORUM DUE TO THE HIGHER LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE WITH BOOTMOD3/PROTUNINGFREAKS TUNES. I was on the M5 forum for many years and I know that tuning is an everyday occurrence here.

Well, I was pretty pleased when I got my Bootmod3 activation license and bundle package on Friday. I didn't have time to install it on Saturday so I set aside Sunday to get it done. I had experience with it on my F90 M5 but I did get help with it from one of the independent tuners that made sooo easy to set up. There are specific steps to take when installing the tune bundle but I had already gone thru this once so I felt pretty confident. IT WAS NOT TO HAPPEN THIS TIME.

I went thru the initial steps of activating the license and making sure that my VIN and other information was accurate. The first thing the website servers do is backup the stock tune which was not hard. The problems started when I tried to download and activate one of the maps. I was able to download it but, things started to go south. I attempted to flash the tune when - the first big surprise, warning, the next step will require a bench unlock of the DME's! The flash may or may not be accepted. Proceeding may cause a failure of the tune to flash. I proceeded anyway. The next announcement caught me by surprise - You do not have enough credits to support this flash. I knew this was a bad sign because I purchased the bundle package.

I thought that maybe that this was an error for that specific flash tune so I proceeded to try 3 other tunes. Same story for the other tunes. I figured it was time to save this for another day when tech support to be available so, I attempted to return to the stock tune. Not happening!!!! The message warned that this may require to do a bench unlock and may result in failure. How right it was. I was not able to load the stock tune. I started to get a bad feeling about this. I tried at least ten more times to re-load the stock tune to no avail. I did take a couple of breaks and researched these issues but found nothing. Now, I'm out the use of my car.

I couldn't wait to email tech support for some answers. BTW, phone communication is not possible, not even if you pay for it. I carefully explained what I had gone thru to the support staff and they asked me to take some screen shots of what the server had installed on my DME's. You do this by clicking on your VIN on their website installation steps which then reveals a short string series of alpahnumeric data. I was asked to take this screenshot and email this to their tech department to confirm if it was accurate. I sent them the screenshot to which they responded "no, we need a screenshot of the data after you click on your VIN". I told them that I only had one VIN showing at this point of the install and I had sent it to them. They insisted that this was incorrect so I repeated this 3 more times hoping that maybe I missed something. The day wore on and finally ended because their workday ended on the east coast. Still, I have a car that I can't use.

Anyone on this or other forums offer any insight as to possible answers for this? I contacted a couple of the authorized tuners on their recommended list and they would not help with the stock tune.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 01:20 AM   #2
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Any updates? We're you able to figure it out?
Appreciate 0