BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Nardo Grey

05-23-2021, 06:26 AM   #1
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E63s AMG Estate

Nardo Grey

Hi all

I hope this is the right section to ask this question? If not, please can a moderator move as suitable, thanks.

I'm about to pull trigger on Nardo Grey on a M5.

It looks awesome but I have a couple of concerns, as my dealer isn't really helping.

I wondered:

1. How easy it is to wash? Any special considerations or things I shouldn't do?

2. How easy is it to fix scratches and is it really expense to maintain?

Reason I ask is I'm coming from a E63S in special Matt paint which has been a total nightmare to look after, even after getting it XPEL'd! I couldn't use a power washer on it as was advised that would potentially hurt it and was told a scratch would cost my c£3-5k per panel as scratches couldn't be fixed and whole panel would need re-painted!

Any experience or views would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 07:44 AM   #2
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m5 comp

I believe Nardo grey is a non metallic paint, also called a flat paint meaning it won't have the specks of paint that you would see in metallic paint. The issue with that is that without the specks of paint, there's nothing to draw your eyes from the imperfections of the paint. Meaning that every scratch, swirl, orange peel will become very evident.
It's nothing like matte paint which is a notoriously unforgiving since once a scratch is made, it's permanent.
You can polish nardo but it's just a little more upkeep as every blemish will be more evident and like most manufacturers, the paint from the factory is often far from perfect. Orange peel and swirls are pretty par for the course at delivery.

There's a video from AMMO NYC where he paint corrects 3 Porsche GT3's still wrapped from the factory

My wife had two flat paint Macans before she got a metallic paint one and the metallic is just much more forgiving.
Appreciate 1
Slugsy01155.50
      05-23-2021, 05:20 PM   #3
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E63s AMG Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswiff View Post
I believe Nardo grey is a non metallic paint, also called a flat paint meaning it won't have the specks of paint that you would see in metallic paint. The issue with that is that without the specks of paint, there's nothing to draw your eyes from the imperfections of the paint. Meaning that every scratch, swirl, orange peel will become very evident.
It's nothing like matte paint which is a notoriously unforgiving since once a scratch is made, it's permanent.
You can polish nardo but it's just a little more upkeep as every blemish will be more evident and like most manufacturers, the paint from the factory is often far from perfect. Orange peel and swirls are pretty par for the course at delivery.

There's a video from AMMO NYC where he paint corrects 3 Porsche GT3's still wrapped from the factory

My wife had two flat paint Macans before she got a metallic paint one and the metallic is just much more forgiving.
Thanks, I'm not sure I can cope with another high maintenance paint, swithering about my second choice which is MBB now!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 12:26 AM   #4
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Nardo, like my exterior color "Fashion Grey" is in fact "Flat" paint as Oswiff described. I brought my car home from the dealership and went right to work on a strip wash, clay bar, and ceramic liquid wax and coating. I wash it myself once a week, sometimes twice depending on the rain and my level of boredom/OCD.

Not as intense as matte, but the price, and quality of the car go hand in hand with the attention to the details. Take care of it, be proactive, and you'll be in a good place. Assuming you follow the proper car wash practices
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 1
J_PNW39.50
      06-09-2021, 04:42 PM   #5
J_PNW
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 40i ‘21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRCHP View Post
brought my car home from the dealership and went right to work on a strip wash, clay bar, and ceramic liquid wax and coating. I wash it myself once a week, sometimes twice depending on the rain and my level of boredom/OCD.
Curious if you did the coating yourself? I don't mind doing these things myself - good way to de-stress.
I've read good things about the Adams Graphene kit (https://adamspolishes.com/products/g...ating%E2%84%A2), but don't think I've seen anyone here post about it (or really, if anyone has done a ceramic treatment themselves.
Appreciate 1
FSHNGRY2301.00
      06-10-2021, 01:53 AM   #6
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_PNW View Post
Curious if you did the coating yourself? I don't mind doing these things myself - good way to de-stress.
I've read good things about the Adams Graphene kit (https://adamspolishes.com/products/g...ating%E2%84%A2), but don't think I've seen anyone here post about it (or really, if anyone has done a ceramic treatment themselves.
I'll start by saying, I am NOT a professional detailer. Do I think I'm better than most "civilians" yes. I've been washing my own car since my first BMW in 2005. I've always had a soap, or brush just for one specific part of the car. So to answer your question, I opted out of paying someone 2,000-5,000 bucks to clean my car. I too, use it to clear my mind and as a de stressor. It works wonders. Nothing like throwing on my headphones, and getting my routine prepared. The experience gained over the years, lead me to immediately bring the car home directly from the dealership and get right to work on an 8 hour detail to strip wash, clay, and ceramic my F90 within the first day. I still regret not documenting that fully, but not to worry, when all the mods are done, i'll do it again!

I use Adam's Polishes line for everything.

1. Wheel cleaner/wheel brush
2. rubber and tire cleaner
3. strip wash (when waxing) or "ceramic wash and coat" when not waxing or going into depth. 1 panel at a time, I buy the wash pads in bulk, so usually a couple of washes and out she goes.
4. air blower- the best way ever to dry a car
5. hybrid drying towel
6. tire shine
7. then I either: clay and surface prep, and then follow the waxing steps with either americana wax, or ceramic liquid wax or brilliant glaze.
8. If not waxing, I use "ceramic boost" spray and some waffle towels all over.
9. glass cleaner
10. plush towel to polish and make sure no streaks or wax left anywhere.

Id gladly do it myself, even if over time there are some minor imperfections that NO ONE would know other then myself over paying someone else to do it

sorry for the length lol

BRCHP
9. polish towel
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 3
      06-10-2021, 01:51 PM   #7
J_PNW
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 40i ‘21

Thanks for posting this - good routine and helpful.

Congrats again on your beautiful spec.
Appreciate 1
FSHNGRY2301.00