BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    F90 M5 Engine Recall - Full Engine Replacement?!

10-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #89
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
All the testing they put prototypes through and then shit like this happens... blows my mind.
It's a supplier/component problem. It has no relation to any amount of mule testing. Simply a bad part out of a bad batch that made it through the production line and ultimately the customer's hands.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
VCP1390.00
      10-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #90
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

I hear ya but if it was a failure in protoype testing it would have been from build 1 and more than 12 in total. This was an anomolly. Be more grateful it was brought up ahead of time rather than a new owner calling for a tow. A Dr. would agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
All the testing they put prototypes through and then shit like this happens... blows my mind.
Appreciate 1
Shane550X127.50
      10-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #91
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Will all be fine at end of day

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsmith View Post
I feel torn on this...
Good - they identified the problem (pretty quickly) and took it off the road and offered a free fix.Better than it blowing up (or otherwise failing) on me while driving.

Bad - I just bought a 6 figure car last month but I'm not allowed to drive it and as of this moment they haven't officially stopped the monthly bills (but I'm sure they will). And they pulled it off the road so quickly no one has been able to tell me how long until it would be fixed/driveable. Also, I feel pretty confident that the guy at the dealership that is going to do the work has NEVER installed an F90 engine. I didn't pay >$100k for it to be in the shop all the time.
Appreciate 1
Shane550X127.50
      10-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #92
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlevrone View Post
I fail to see how a recall about replacing the engine is a bad thing, like some people are complaining here. You get a brand-new engine which comes prepared from factory, the dealer is merely replacing it as a whole.
I feel torn on this...
Good - they identified the problem (pretty quickly) and took it off the road and offered a free fix.Better than it blowing up (or otherwise failing) on me while driving.

Bad - I just bought a 6 figure car last month but I'm not allowed to drive it and as of this moment they haven't officially stopped the monthly bills (but I'm sure they will). And they pulled it off the road so quickly no one has been able to tell me how long until it would be fixed/driveable. Also, I feel pretty confident that the guy at the dealership that is going to do the work has NEVER installed an F90 engine. I didn't pay >$100k for it to be in the shop all the time.
Quite frankly, having been in a somewhat identical situation (and not even asking or given the choice about my car as I wanted the car) I guess I've had time to have first hand retrospection on the whole thing.

If it happened to me, I'd probably replace the motor as a motor install is a motor install. I'd also want some immediate compensation and long term such as EW. As you are leasing, that might not be important to you.

On the other hand, again, probably not important to you, but if I owned, I would want full engine compartment painted BSM to match exterior while the engine was out for an extra nice look.

In today's environment, I just don't see it was a big deal s matching numbers are not as important as they once were.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #93
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

W. T. F. !!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #94
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNGASLOW View Post
What I would like to know is how BMW determines that there are only 12 cars affected by this? How do they know there isn’t more out there that were built around the same time?
Maybe a specific employee was working on the engines during that period and set the torquewrench for rodbolt incorrectly...

...ish.
At AMG it's one builder one engine. You would know who screwed up as his name is on a plate mounted on the engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #95
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
If it happened to me, I'd probably replace the motor as a motor install is a motor install.
Dealerships have been clueless on replacing the diff oils correctly on these cars, and you think they would do a good job of replacing the engine? I would fight tooth and nail to avoid a nightmare like that.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 04:57 PM   #96
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
Quote:
If it happened to me, I'd probably replace the motor as a motor install is a motor install.
Dealerships have been clueless on replacing the diff oils correctly on these cars, and you think they would do a good job of replacing the engine? I would fight tooth and nail to avoid a nightmare like that.
Because of the type customer I am (read that any way you wish) the Dealership always assigns my car to the Shop Foreman and/or best tech at the Dealership. I have good, direct, relationships with those people.

Furthermore, in my previous experience, Company flew in tech to try and resolve issue before buying car back as the car was more rare than a M5 and had major publicity in them for the Company.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 05:01 PM   #97
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
It took a day to do the mppsk for me, expect a month or so for an engine swap. They will need to bring in someone from Germany. Better still they should just give them a new M5.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 05:20 PM   #98
MarcoItaly
My life flows on the rearview mirror!
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw M5 F90

Quote:
Quote:
I fail to see how a recall about replacing the engine is a bad thing, like some people are complaining here. You get a brand-new engine which comes prepared from factory, the dealer is merely replacing it as a whole.
I feel torn on this...

Hi guys.. what can I say? I think it is unacceptable.
M5 is the top level of Bmw Motorsport at the moment... and this kind of problem shouldn't happen to a top level product of premium Brand like bmw.
Honestly I am very worried cause in 5 months I had two recall and one issue for cooling fans. The last one didn't cause problems ... do u know why? I noticed it 10 second before arriving to my tuner garage.
Honestly I think these are the side effect of " non handmade 600hp engine". I am much more worried cause I tuned my Emma5 by Obd and i increase turbo pressure, torque limiters and I also remove speed limit at all. I know... u can say it is a problem only for me, but I had tune all my turbo cars in my life but no one of them (Audi tt, Audi tts, Audi S5, Bmw m3 F80), had got this kind of recall.
I feel not safe thinking about what could happen if engine would have a problem at 340 km/h...or honestly 200 km/h also...

Ps I'm sorry for my English
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #99
Gassy
Soporificist
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5- Rhodonite/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
I doubt there are any refurbished motors in existence. The engine is too new.
Not that iPhones and BMWs have any sort of equivalency, but my brand new iPhone XS proved to have a software glitch that was discovered after the 15 day return period. After many hours and Olympian efforts to fix, I was sent a refurb XS, and this was on day 22 after its release. You can bet that there are some previously rejected, newly refurbished engines for the M5 floating out there.
      10-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #100
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
First year issues. F10 went through some issues in the beginning also. It happens.

Funny thing is that I bought my car on March 14th and it has been flawless. I was mentally prepared for issues but none so far.
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2018, 05:31 PM   #101
MarcoItaly
My life flows on the rearview mirror!
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
12 motors. That equates to 8 am to about 2 pm on that production line. Too many beers the night before assembly for that tech. Carry on

Quote:
Good question. We can only speculate, but they obviously keep detailed records of everything.

By the way, after asking the BMW "Genius" I also asked my dealer to look it up, and my car is not among those affected even though it was made during that period. Phew...
Ahhahah I hope buddy!
Appreciate 1
VCP1390.00
      10-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #102
Tonyfsu21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, Jet Black, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It took a day to do the mppsk for me, expect a month or so for an engine swap. They will need to bring in someone from Germany. Better still they should just give them a new M5.
They better bring someone in from Germany!!!!!! This entire process will require rigorous QAQC sign offs. This is a $100k+ car and the engine swap will need to be done to factory spec. I don't care how wonderful your service department is and how well the shop foreman is trained, this is a job for a factory rep.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #103
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post
First year issues. F10 went through some issues in the beginning also. It happens.

Funny thing is that I bought my car on March 14th and it has been flawless. I was mentally prepared for issues but none so far.
Well said. First year issues and first years issues are quite common. BMW decision to replace the entire engine is a practical decision and benefits the customer the most. It's a swap of one part - albeit a large one. I would not want the dealer to perform open heart surgery on a complex high performance engine to replace a small part.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 06:43 PM   #104
PhrogFixer01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez_zza View Post
+1 & fully loaded !!
The slow response from BMW to address this issue is just unacceptable
I plan on asking for my exact setup but this time in a comp. I'm going to give them the chance to do the right thing on their own... hopefully I don't have to lawyer up.
Uhmmmm

As you stated, it's a lease. You do not have a diminished value claim. You do not own the car. BMWFS does.

The paperwork you signed allows for warranty replacement, of which this is

However in Illinois, if Car is out of service (it is currently) for 30+ days, it can be easily lemon lawed. As long as it is red tagged, the timer is ticking. Of course, BMW NA knows this as well. Just keep detailed records.

https://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Do...-LLsummary.pdf

As an aside, as only 12 Vehicles were affected (and as witnessed by posters in this thread, others were not) I wonder if it had anything to do with options on the car
Being a lease doesn't change things. I was able to work something out with BMWNA on a leased vehicle that had many problems and was in the shop for about three out of five months.
Retired: 2020 M340i xDrive
Retired: 2017 X5M
Retired: 2016 550i xDrive
Retired: 2015 X6 50i
Appreciate 1
alex9134.50
      10-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #105
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogFixer01 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
+1 & fully loaded !!
I plan on asking for my exact setup but this time in a comp. I'm going to give them the chance to do the right thing on their own... hopefully I don't have to lawyer up.
Uhmmmm

As you stated, it's a lease. You do not have a diminished value claim. You do not own the car. BMWFS does.

However in Illinois, if Car is out of service (it is currently) for 30+ days, it can be easily lemon lawed. As long as it is red tagged, the timer is ticking. Of course, BMW NA knows this as well. Just keep detailed records.

As an aside, as only 12 Vehicles were affected (and as witnessed by posters in this thread, others were not) I wonder if it had anything to do with options on the car
Being a lease doesn't change things. I was able to work something out with BMWNA on a leased vehicle that had many problems and was in the shop for about three out of five months.
A car in shop 3 out of 5 months qualifies as a lemon virtually anywhere in USA.

That is true lease or outright purchase.

Diminished Value, as stated in OP, does not apply to a lease.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 06:53 PM   #106
PhrogFixer01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I feel torn on this...

Don't be torn. There is no difference between them catching it and replacing or having it blowing up other than the fact that it blowing up could've lead to an accident and injury. If it blew up on you doesn't necessarily mean more damage if it just has a catastrophic internal failure.

Engine swaps are heavy maintenance which is why they will probably bring someone in to assist. Just a ton of stuff that comes apart that you have to hope goes back together correctly. Could be a lease long problem child.

Personally, I'd push to have them get you out. You'll never look at it the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 06:56 PM   #107
PhrogFixer01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
+1 & fully loaded !!
Uhmmmm

A car in shop 3 out of 5 months qualifies as a lemon virtually anywhere in USA.

That is true lease or outright purchase.

Diminished Value, as stated in OP, does not apply to a lease.
Lemon law goes beyond just non use of the car. I contacted lemon law lawyers and none would take my case because of the "reasonable attempt" to repair. It's not cut and dry...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 07:00 PM   #108
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

welp, I'm aware of the one of the two sitting on dealer lots that's getting this done. IMO, you can take the dealer to the woodshed on this one as there's no way they'll be able to get their $15k premium over sticker for it now. Ha!
      10-25-2018, 07:03 PM   #109
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

They finally call and say “it’s ready”. I’m leaving on a 2000 mile road trip with it tomorrow. Okayyyyyyy? Not good.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 07:03 PM   #110
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Lemon law goes beyond just non use of the car. I contacted lemon law lawyers and none would take my case because of the "reasonable attempt" to repair. It's not cut and dry...
exactly. Lemon usually means there's multiple attempts at fixing a problem but to no avail. This isn't a lemon situation. Far from it.

Now you can sue BMWNA for diminished value...but that's gonna be a tough one to win, so you're likely to settle after a protracted battle that will cost you thousands.