BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    BMW M5 (F90) August 21 reveal date announced with uncovered teaser clip!

Closed Thread

08-15-2017, 05:40 AM   #67
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tux View Post
Stupid question: why is the new M5 still using the F code instead of G?
I dare BMW to use G code when they use the same fucking engine. The least they could do is be honest about it.
      08-15-2017, 05:45 AM   #68
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
I totally agree with you RPIM5... It's great that the next-gen M5 is finally upon us, but what a disappointment that BMW M could not do better than a slightly upgraded V8TT and an auto tranny!!! They added better traction management with a slick AWD system, whoopty-doo. This generation of M5 is with us for another 6 years?! It's a joke IMO. The BMW M2 showed that M-div still had a soul. This tells me that M-div is losing its budget and heart to X-div. I realize many of you may say "fine, don't buy one." That's the last thing BMW should want to read. I have owned the last two gen's of M5 and M3s and if you can't convince a guy like me to roll over to a new one, there's a problem in Dingolfing... Booooo
You are basically paying more for technology you don't want in an M car: AWD and 8 speed auto. Good to hear that F90 will have active side bolsters and carbon fiber roof though. Wouldn't be as disappointing if they kept an option for RWD and DCT for lighter and better car, but that's too much work for eco-friendly BMW.
      08-15-2017, 05:57 AM   #69
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Quote:
I totally agree with you RPIM5... It's great that the next-gen M5 is finally upon us, but what a disappointment that BMW M could not do better than a slightly upgraded V8TT and an auto tranny!!! They added better traction management with a slick AWD system, whoopty-doo. This generation of M5 is with us for another 6 years?! It's a joke IMO. The BMW M2 showed that M-div still had a soul. This tells me that M-div is losing its budget and heart to X-div. I realize many of you may say "fine, don't buy one." That's the last thing BMW should want to read. I have owned the last two gen's of M5 and M3s and if you can't convince a guy like me to roll over to a new one, there's a problem in Dingolfing... Booooo
You are basically paying more for technology you don't want in an M car: AWD and 8 speed auto. Good to hear that F90 will have active side bolsters and carbon fiber roof though. Wouldn't be as disappointing if they kept an option for RWD and DCT for lighter and better car, but that's too much work for eco-friendly BMW.
Eco friendly? I bet the next Gen M5 is a (PHEV) plugin.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 06:01 AM   #70
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st
Quote:
I dare BMW to use G code when they use the same fucking engine. The least they could do is be honest about it.
lol. because it's not much different than the f10 to use the g code.
      08-15-2017, 06:08 AM   #71
eleniki
Alderran`s lost princess
Rep
Drives: A bit old BMW

Love the blue color. Can't wait to see in Hamburg. It must be presented during Hamburg show, right?
      08-15-2017, 06:16 AM   #72
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Eco friendly? I bet the next Gen M5 is a (PHEV) plugin.
Why put an extra gear(most probably a cruising 8th gear) when it can't even do 330? PHEV next gen it is.
      08-15-2017, 06:35 AM   #73
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Having a First Edition is straight up copying Mercedes at this point; a "first edition" with matte paint... where's the originality?
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 2
      08-15-2017, 07:06 AM   #74
Frankrizzz
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Having a First Edition is straight up copying Mercedes at this point; a "first edition" with matte paint... where's the originality?
Mercedes first edition pioneer? Funniest thing I will probably hear today. It's a popular marketing ploy used by endless manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 07:11 AM   #75
usmabmass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 550i, 23 i4 M50, 24 iX M60

Quote:
Quote:
Meanwhile, others will be buying this thing BECAUSE it has awd.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 07:59 AM   #76
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
I have no problem with an AWD m5 its smart. AWD m3 idk
If you can turn it off I guess it will come in handy when you really need it if they can get the weight down enough.
Agreed, but you can never get the weight down enough in a true drivers car (ie m3)
I guess you'll need to be looking at different brands nowadays, for a true driver car.
Like Lotus for example.

+1.5 metric tons of car for BMW, half a ton less for Lotus...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 08:29 AM   #77
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankrizzz View Post
Mercedes first edition pioneer? Funniest thing I will probably hear today. It's a popular marketing ploy used by endless manufacturers.
Merc may not have pioneered it, but they're the first MFG I think of when I hear those words; especially in this segment.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 09:03 AM   #78
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Quote:
#cartel
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      08-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #79
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They set the trend, and always think way outside the box, always have.

Mercedes Benz... "The best or nothing"
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 09:52 AM   #80
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Auto trannies have gone very far in technology since couple years ago.
BMW M would never put a standard slow/laggy auto trans in their flagship M model. I am pretty sure that once you all drive the car you will be positively surprised. I know DCT has a cool factor, but BMW didn't do the switch for no reason. We've all seen couple videos of pro drivers driving these cars and there was no complaints in the trans dept. The car is lighter, faster, the front end looks awesome and aggressive and it has a really cool differential system with switchable drives.

They only changed because they don't have a transmission that can handle that much torque. The ZF8HP is a well known transmission at this point, and it shifts in a respectable ~200ms, which is good but a far cry from a DSG, PDK, DTC, or even the old SMG, which are all well under 100ms. It's just a trade off for power.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_time
Why should a typical M5 owner care about that anyways? When going to the track 99% of these cars never go past the parking lot.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #81
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M_ADDICT View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They set the trend, and always think way outside the box, always have.

Mercedes Benz... "The best or nothing"
Mercedes is crap and bmw and audi will always shit on it
Mercedes-Benz has more innovative patents then any other car manufacturer on the planet.

BMWs icon is The i8.... Give me a fucking break. I understand where you're coming from. But just because you think that does not make it so. BMW currently makes a few great cars the rest are dog and pony shows
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      08-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #82
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Mercedes is crap and bmw and audi will always shit on it
That's quite a statement in this particular time...Mercedes is doing things that neither BMW or Audi are even close to doing. I'm no Mercedes fan boy, I actually just bought my first Mercedes a couple months ago after owning many different BMWs and a few Audi's as well.

Each car has its own pros and cons but overall, I believe Mercedes is doing way better in every segment than BMW or Audi. I actually think BMW is doing the worst given they don't have anything to compete with the R8 or the AMG GTS/GTC/GTR. I mean WTF are they doing over there? I8 is laughable in every way (to me at least, and I know many others feel the same way).

Compare even the lower end models, while beauty is in the eye of the beholder I don't think you can even compare the interior of a base 328 and a base C300. The C300's overall look and even the fit and finish is superb, one of the nicest interiors in that price point. The 3 series is so plain and simple. Jump up to C63 and M3/4 and same thing. The C63 with all the extra leather, carbon fiber etc looks amazing. Have you seen the seats? No comparison again in my books.

Anyways, obviously there will be those who agree and those who disagree which is fine but to say that BMW shits on those 2 brands in any shape, way or form is a joke!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 4
JTO245246.50
Jez_zza438.50
dmboone254970.50
      08-15-2017, 10:08 AM   #83
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Is there truly a "need" for an AWD ///M xDrive system? My answer will always be irrevocably NO. Will it be a great thing to have though? You betcha! I never had a problem with proper snow tires on the F10 M5 in light to medium snow covered roads. Even with my M5 lowered on springs, plowing through the snow was never a problem. The new ///M xDrive System will add that certain video game cheat code feeling when encountering that Nissan GTR at a stop light however. And I think that's what people will appreciate most about it, its superior performance on the street. M Division has traded purity for speed, but for super sedans like the M5, its ok, because this kind of car has never been about lap times. Lap times belong to the KING M3 and M4, and now M2.

But dammit you guys at ///M Division, at least give us a new engine with new characteristics to enjoy while we experience the pleasure of beating that Nissan GTR off the line.

I really believe that the new ZF8 Speed won't be that bad, and most people will enjoy it or forgive M for choosing it over the DCT. While other people who have owned SMG's and DCT's in the past or have been spoiled rotten by Porsche PDK's, will continue to lament the days past and curse ///M for making people spend more money on a slower shifting transmission.

The F90 M5 has turned into a 4-Door Nissan GTR. A lot of the car will probably feel disconnected just like the GTR does, but will be fast as hell. I've always heard GTR owners describe their cars as like driving a robot or a car that does everything for you. If the E39 M5 was a sentient car, I'm sure it would be like "WTF" are you guys at ///M Division doing?

Oh yes, and just wait until everybody sees what the a fully loaded F90 M5 is going to cost. I wouldn't be surprised if a fully loaded example exceeds $150k now or with a future LCI Competition Package version.

The most important thing that remains to be seen with the new F90 is the true and actual curb weight. Automotive journalists have been all over the place citing everything from 4,100lbs to 4,400lbs. If the F90 M5 is going to truly be lighter then that will be the only edge it will have over the Mercedes E63S, Panamera Turbo, and future Audi RS6/RS7. Oh and a Carbon Fiber roof on the F90. I'll still be sorely disappointed if the door panels on the F90 aren't at least made out of aluminum.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #84
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Lol! Yes!

Appreciate 2
ORIGIN M.3159.50
Jez_zza438.50
      08-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #85
SFT33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, E60 & F10 M5s

This happens EVERYTIME a new ///M5 comes out

Everyone hates it - then they love it once they get it. In my opinion - the 8 speed auto tranny is the most disappointing aspect of this car. The manual, SMG, DCT, etc. put the M5 in a class by itself - the slush box things. It better be good.
      08-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #86
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So? I buy car a based on how it drives and not how many patients the company has. All mercedes models have the same exterior design, same interior design, same engine, same transmission. The only difference between them is sizing.

mercedes are heavy compared to BMW and audi and their transmissions are crap too. For example The new B9 RS5 weighs 1650 Kilos With AWD, Thats 200kg less than the C63s with RWD.

The Only good car mercedes is doing right now is the AMG GT because it was fully developed by AMG and its light and has a DCT thats the only thing that interests me from that brand.
Sorry to bust your bubble, but BMW isn't doing the same thing? My mother in law just picked up a 2017 540xi. I had the pleasure of driving a 2016 750xi last year for over a week and my god, it is IDENTICAL on the inside (my mother in law's 540 has the Nappa Leather upgrad seats and they are literally identical to the standard seats in the G11 7 series) AND outside... I'm a car nut and even I can't tell a G30 5 series from a G11 7 series half the time. They are literally identical, headlights and tails are so similar that its borderline questionable if they are even different in size. AND I am willing to bet that the new G20 3 series will be a smaller version of the two of the above vehicles.

So while I agree that the C class, E class and S class all look very similar to each other except they differ in size. BMW & Audi for that matter is doing the same dang thing and have been for years.
Appreciate 3
6ixSpd5996.50
JTO245246.50
      08-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #87
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousq View Post
BMW separated the M from the normal line with the current M3/4 so it is expected for them to do the same All of them seem to be in the F80-F99 area.
I think you misunderstood the question, he is asking why isn't it a Gxx, G90 for example instead of F90. You are right, BMW separated the M models from the regular 3/4 series by calling them F90 vs F30. But in this case, BMW calls the regular 5 series a G30 but still wants to call the M5 a F90 while its built on a G body chassis now. Makes no sense.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundo74 View Post
lol. because it's not much different that the f10 to use the g code.
You guys are wrong, at the end of the day the G or F pertains to the body/chassis. Not the engine being used. I do not believe they kept the F in the name because the engine is the same as the F10. I don't have the answer as to why they did it, I don't think anyone does except for maybe SCOTT26 but he hasn't been kind enough to share it with us until now. The F or G designation pertains to the body/chassis and this body/chassis is based on the G30 platform, so no fucking clue as to why they decided to call this a F90 instead of say G90 for example.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 02:41 PM   #88
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Haters gonna hate. For me... sign me up. The money is down and I WILL be getting one.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread