BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Official info on the new BMW M5 with M xDrive

05-17-2017, 07:49 AM   #45
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytexter View Post
Floating caliper??? Are u kidding me....regular g30/f3x with m sport brake has fix caliper for rear. F8x, a cheaper car compare to f90, both blue brake and gold ceramic have fixed. Wtf
Could be a few things...
-Caliper weight / clearance
-Brake bias

The rear's aren't stopping much of this car. The surface contact area on the rear rotor is absolutely ginormous anyways

Now, should the car just have fixed piston calipers? Because it's an M5, yes, I absolutely believe it should. The class competition does.

However, this gives people a reason to purchase the brake option package and have fixed piston calipers in the rear I'm guessing. Money in the bank for BMW M.
It's there because of the electric e-brake/parking brake. Brembo has just released a fixed caliper with electric e-brake though, so in the future it will probably become available. But as of now, it's this caliper type they have available with electric e-brake/parking brake AFAIK

Oh, and the rear brakes does do a significant part of the braking!

What brake option package are you referring to? The CCB option had the same type of calipers front and rear on the F10 M5. Have you any info about this being different for the F90? Possibly they have adopted the new style Brembo e-brake calipers on the CCBs?
Gotcha, are you saying that electric parking brake is integrated into the non-fixed piston caliper that we've seen, or there is physically a separate parking brake caliper? Only reason I say this is because I thought my neighbors Model S with fixed piston calipers all around had an extra caliper on the rear for the parking brake, so I guess it's weird that BMW M wouldn't do similar?

I still can't get over that rear rotor / pad surface contact area, it's huge!

On the "option", that was purely me wearing my BMW Market / Operating Income hat ...but sounds like it may be technically not feasible right now.

Cool to see Brembo releasing a new caliper to the market.
Yes, the electric e-brake is integrated in the rear calipers by means of a stepper motor being connected to the brake piston. The stepper motor mechanically screws/pushes the piston in the caliper.

The Tesla solution isn't ideal in my opinion. Both because it adds unsprung weight but also because it adds mechanical components that needs maintenance and looks like an afterthought...

The F3x/F8x has a drum brake inside the rear brake rotors, which means that they can have compound (or fixed) calipers in the rear since the brake calipers doesn't have to act as e-brakes as well.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2017, 07:54 AM   #46
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
While I have seen this thing in camo a few times, the first time I actually see the production car will probably be at an airstrip event, and it will probably already be tuned. And real quick off the line.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #47
Eau_Rouge111
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i and 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Performance
And once again BMW goes the way of the our german mainstream with Audi and Daimler... i don't understand it!

- 8speed automatic is also with a normal converter (wandler) and no DKG -> Audi makes it in the new R8, RS6, RS5, RS4 too.
- xDrive in an ///M Model -> Standard form the RS-Line
- progressive Headlights in Front -> right, Audi Design
- honeycomb structure in the Seats -> Ingolstadt, what else?

If I want to drive an audi, I would have bought one! But whats next? An ///M3 Touring?
Okay, persuaded - i want one
If you mean a M3 touring as in a shooting brake...i'd personally love one
Appreciate 1
Law6381.00
      05-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #48
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Performance View Post
And once again BMW goes the way of the our german mainstream with Audi and Daimler... i don't understand it!

- 8speed automatic is also with a normal converter (wandler) and no DKG -> Audi makes it in the new R8, RS6, RS5, RS4 too.

If I want to drive an audi, I would have bought one! But whats next? An ///M3 Touring?
It remains to see how the ZF 8-speed shifts compared to the DCT in the F10. But the problem with a manual type transmission (which the gearsets and basic layout in a DCT is) is that it becomes heavy and not so smooth shifting when we are at the HP and torque levels we are now... Especially combined with AWD and a heavy car the transmission needs to be stronger than ever before in an M5.

If the shift quality is at DCT levels for shift speed in sport modes and smoother in comfort mode. What do you see as the problem with going this route?

Can Audi's Quattro system be switched to RWD only?

Is Audi's Quattro system rear biased in a way that makes the car feel rwd and tail happy?

IMO, BMW has adapted AWD out of customer demand and out of nevessity due to the sheer amount of performance from the engine. And they seem to have done it in an "M kind of way". My guess is that the AWD system will feel just as rear biased (and more so probably) as the Focus RS does. Very much UNLIKE the Audisteer system...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 08:05 AM   #49
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Performance View Post

So much this. If you want a AWD fat luxury sedan with a load of power, guess what? MB and Audi already offer that! So what's unique or better about the M5?! Absolutely nothing. MB and Audi have been doing this formula for decades and are way ahead of BMW at it. BMW stood out as the different option offering a more driver focused super sedan. If you take that away, you're literally trying to be like MB and Audi and they already do it better than you. Fail.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1
Law6381.00
      05-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #50
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
4WD and RWD...Best of both worlds! I so want this car.
It would truly be the best of both worlds if in the 2WD mode it would also shed the extra weight due to the 4wd mechanics.
The car lost 200 lbs with the addition of 4WD/RWD combo and you're still complaining of weight? Really?

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 4
DCG781.50
F32Fleet3566.00
doug_9992541.50
      05-17-2017, 08:07 AM   #51
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Finally BMW you listened!!!

I'm just waiting for the M4 and X4M version with M xDrive!

BMWs automatic transmissions are amazing, but still I want the DCT transmission option, I want to be able to downshift. As someone who only ever owned stick shifts and rides a gas powered motorcycle being able to downshift and not just relying on your brakes to slow down is critical I feel. But with New York traffic popping it in to Automatic mode is wonderful I must admit. As a driver I want to stay in tuned with the car, driving automatics I get distracted and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I could care less about the M5, too big of a car for me and the guys that get these big cars I would presume don't really need the shifting option anyway. But I do care about the new technology and in the M4 and M3 DCT I feel that's it's necessary and wanted.

M xDrive

And the rear wheel drive guys which I was my whole life until now owning an xDrive model and being able to drive it in the snow with sport tires and still be able to make it home safely means a lot. Now we all get the best of both worlds at a push of a button, how genius! Took long enough...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #52
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
The car lost 200 lbs with the addition of 4WD/RWD combo and you're still complaining of weight? Really?
Where did it say 200 lbs weight loss?
Evo UK says "slightly lighter than the F10 M5". so I'm guessing only a few lbs lighter.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #53
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Quote:
Evo UK says "slightly lighter than the F10 M5". so I'm guessing only a few lbs lighter.
Did I misread it? Could have sworn I saw that somewhere.

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 08:15 AM   #54
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

my main issue is that now every single car offered is identical... whether mb audi or bmw

they are all auto, awd heavy tanks

i guess this is what people wanted
      05-17-2017, 08:15 AM   #55
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
Quote:
4WD and RWD...Best of both worlds! I so want this car.
It would truly be the best of both worlds if in the 2WD mode it would also shed the extra weight due to the 4wd mechanics.
I thought it was pretty funny also.
The car already weighs less than its predecessor and WITH the AWD on it all the time. Seems like what he is wishing for has already been done !

I'm not gonna even entertain the part of his wish that defies the laws of physics.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #56
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Great to have official acknowledgement of what was a very poorly kept secret. Still waiting to hear more details about the ZF8 transmission, specifically what (if anything) has changed from the Series application.

I also wonder if they will fit a specifically tuned version of this system to the future X3M, X4M, X5M, and X6M? While perhaps this isn't necessary, it might actually allow those SUVs to perform better in some tests without sacrificing in other areas. So it seems at least possible.

As for the M3/M4, I believe that they will remain RWD until forced to go AWD by the competition. That might happen as soon as next generation, but unlike cars in the E63/M5 class, engine output has not yet made this necessary. We'll wait to see what Mercedes has cooking for the next C63. That could give indication of where the segment - and BMW - is going.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #57
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
While I puke a little at the propaganda that 2-wheel-drive mode is equal to a proper 2-wheel-drive car; I can understand this in an M5. The car is already a tank.
I, for one, applaud them (and AMG) for developing AWD systems so clever that with a press of a button you can turn it into a RWD vehicle.
This isn't a new concept. I had a Chevy Blazer in the 90s that did the same thing.
      05-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #58
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Quote:
Evo magazine said the car still in Camo is 1850 kg/4078.55 lbs. I don't know what measurement they are using curb or whatever. But that's a lot lighter than the curb of the F10 M5 at 4,387 lbs. We will soon get confirmation.

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #59
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
While I puke a little at the propaganda that 2-wheel-drive mode is equal to a proper 2-wheel-drive car; I can understand this in an M5. The car is already a tank.
I, for one, applaud them (and AMG) for developing AWD systems so clever that with a press of a button you can turn it into a RWD vehicle.
You could do this on pickup trucks since the beginning of time. About time they included this feature since it is rear drive most of the time in xdrive mode anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 08:50 AM   #60
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
First off this car is designed for fat cats to impress their friends in a roomy luxo barge. Just wait when the firsts ones hit the street and the guy who has owned every ///M car bla bla bla states how awesome it is sitting at a stop light, smashing the gas and ripping of supper fast no drama 0-60 to make his fellow fat cats chatter happy then it will be loved by all.

Second, the M5 does not see the track. Yes there is the occasional M5 at a track day but usually they just slow up the run groups. They can't turn yet they blast the straights. So the driver backs up the field at every turn and then blows the field away on the straights until the next turn where another car joins the train.

Lastly, who actually drives M5's to the limits? The M5 drivers in my neck of the woods are not driving like they stole it. They like to show off every now and then but normally they are going from point a--> b

PS.... I just checked and there are still M E39's and M E60's for sale so you can buy a used one and be happy

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #61
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
In a few years, fanbois will be saying "A real M car must have 8 speeds and M xDrive!!!"

You heard it here first.
That will be the case when the M5 goes electric and has a 1 speed tranny and no exhaust noise to speak of.
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50
      05-17-2017, 09:01 AM   #62
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
As for the M3/M4, I believe that they will remain RWD until forced to go AWD by the competition. That might happen as soon as next generation, but unlike cars in the E63/M5 class, engine output has not yet made this necessary. We'll wait to see what Mercedes has cooking for the next C63. That could give indication of where the segment - and BMW - is going.
There is no need for BMW to follow Merc or Audi when it comes to the M3/4. M3/4 are special because they are rwd but moreover because many owners do track it at very least occasionally.

There are many things they could do to make it more drive able before even entertaining awd setup such as controlling the available torque in each gear like 488 etc.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #63
lm1z
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92ben View Post
Why sad? Its lighter, faster, handles better, it's still rwd with the option of awd. Doesn't get much better.. unless your sad about the missing third pedal.
I think it's safe to say that the majority of critics have never owned, let alone driven, an F10 M5 (since we are moving from this generation).

My only critiques of the car were the weight and lack of usable power.

This car is going to be a significant upgrade, as always, from its predecessor.
I'm sure the gearbox will be fantastic. If it isn't, I'll be the first to say it.
      05-17-2017, 09:11 AM   #64
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Great to have official acknowledgement of what was a very poorly kept secret. Still waiting to hear more details about the ZF8 transmission, specifically what (if anything) has changed from the Series application.

I also wonder if they will fit a specifically tuned version of this system to the future X3M, X4M, X5M, and X6M? While perhaps this isn't necessary, it might actually allow those SUVs to perform better in some tests without sacrificing in other areas. So it seems at least possible.

Used to be a time when BMW led these segments, not followed. Or with the E28 M5, created the segments.

You don't find this disconcerting?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #65
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
There is no need for BMW to follow Merc or Audi when it comes to the M3/4. M3/4 are special because they are rwd but moreover because many owners do track it at very least occasionally.
Sure, but the marketplace will determine the direction, just as always. BMW has built an AWD M5 in some part because Mercedes has built an AWD E63. Furthermore, AWD can make the car faster on the track too. As you are no doubt aware, there are plenty of reputable, track-worthy AWD performance cars

Quote:
There are many things they could do to make it more drive able before even entertaining awd setup such as controlling the available torque in each gear like 488 etc.
I'm sure they will do that too if there is a market for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #66
Radeon888
Registered
Rep
Drives: M car

BMW factory vs real world

Model. Factory Real World 0-60 seconds
E28 M5. 7.1. 6.3
E34 M5. 6.1. 5.6
E39 M5. 5.7. 4.9
E60 M5. 5.2. 4.2