BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    F90 M5 Closed Preview Notes (Claimed Specs)

05-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #23
TheIceStormOf06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT33 View Post
Scott26 - please tell me the M5 is not going to have an 8 speed automatic trans...
It's been confirmed. It will not have a DCT transmission nor manual option. DCT is dead at BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #24
RACEM4TE
Banned
Rep
Drives: S63 AMG COUPÈ, Mclaren 675LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan-M
I' don't believe this happen! No one in South Korea, at any of dealership have heard of this? I know some high level managers here. So, I will just wait and see.
Dont get so triggered, the car was shown at an M experience event in south korea and was shown to a selected number of people, the guy that leaked the info works at the BIGGEST BMW Dealership in the world. Pretty sure hes going to get a viewing of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #25
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan-M View Post
I' don't believe this happen! No one in South Korea, at any of dealership have heard of this? I know some high level managers here. So, I will just wait and see.
It was not at a dealer. But BMW's experience centre. They are having global previews as they have done previously. One upcoming in the Experience Centre in Shanghai. And the BMWM only dealerships in Singapore and Russia.
      05-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #26
RACEM4TE
Banned
Rep
Drives: S63 AMG COUPÈ, Mclaren 675LT

The guy that leaked it pm'd me saying that the management was not happy with him about leaking and was telling me to delete it even though it got leaked on carscoops also.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #27
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

Bro. haha.
Appreciate 3
BDO276.00
      05-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #28
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Well you know what they say, once it is on the internet it's not getting deleted. Anyone who doesn't know that by now, tough...

Sounds like a typical M5 rocket sled. I would love to see it in black.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #29
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceStormOf06 View Post
Quote:
Scott26 - please tell me the M5 is not going to have an 8 speed automatic trans...
It's been confirmed. It will not have a DCT transmission nor manual option. DCT is dead at BMW.
This confirmation occurred when and by whom?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #30
DaveCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Sapphire Black

MDCT vs 8-Speed

I hope they can get the ZF to react as quickly as the MDCT.

The MDCT is like a hair-trigger gun which before you have finished pressing the manual shift paddle it's already in the next gear and going.

I had an 8-speed automatic in the CTS-V Sport I had previously and it delayed like almost a full second after the button press before it shifted, which was horrible. Leaving the transmission in drive or sport-drive (auto shifting) it was great, but the manual lever operation left alot to be desired. I know the ZF is probably different than the Caddy tranny but I hope it doesn't suffer the same manual operation issues.

I wonder if the real reason they're dropping it was something to do with mating it to the X-Drive. Maybe there wasn't enough clearance or something?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 04:23 PM   #31
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCM5 View Post
I hope they can get the ZF to react as quickly as the MDCT.

The MDCT is like a hair-trigger gun which before you have finished pressing the manual shift paddle it's already in the next gear and going.

I had an 8-speed automatic in the CTS-V Sport I had previously and it delayed like almost a full second after the button press before it shifted, which was horrible. Leaving the transmission in drive or sport-drive (auto shifting) it was great, but the manual lever operation left alot to be desired. I know the ZF is probably different than the Caddy tranny but I hope it doesn't suffer the same manual operation issues.

I wonder if the real reason they're dropping it was something to do with mating it to the X-Drive. Maybe there wasn't enough clearance or something?
M did say the auto mater better to the xdrive system and massive amount of torque better then the dct does. That's why x5/x6 m are autos...

My argument would be, then leave it rwd lol

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #32
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Please bro
Appreciate 2
JDubz69.00
Rasya36.50
      05-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #33
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Terrible. I hope that most of these rumors are not true.

It's bad enough that they are using the same engine from the F10 M5, now there's a possibility that an M5 will get an Automatic Transmission?! How about ///M Division develops a DCT that can hold up to 900lbs/ft of torque? After all, I did it! For less than $6k too! Rebuilding my DCT with robust clutches wasn't too hard at all. No automatic transmission is going to be as fast as a DCT. The Auto on the C7 Z06 Vette is great but it's not lightning fast like a PDK or MDCT is. Or how about, instead of increasing torque, they work on significantly reducing the weight of the M5? I feel like there is little innovation and/or reason for me to want to buy any future M product. They aren't pioneering engine development anymore, they are just improving on what's already been done before. Sure the S85 V10 and the SMG were pieces of garbage when it came to long term reliability, but at least it was in keeping with great innovation and the exotic nature of motorsport. Now we may be seeing an M5 with the exact same type of transmission that is on a Kia Sorrento. With that said, I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever, that the next M5 will be the best and fastest M5 ever, however how they are going about it is extremely disappointing for me personally. I have no problem with an AWD system on an M5 or the fact that they want to throw lane departure warning on the car, or other weight adding features, but at least make an M5 with some Carbon Fiber doors, or at least doors made out of aluminum to get the weight down. How about developing a 3.0L Twin Turbo V10 engine that revs to 8,000rpm, makes 600hp, and is twice as fuel efficient as the S63tu engine and give the M5 some true exotic nature again, while complying with CARB and CAFE standards. I'm going to laugh if they have to mount the engine block too high and forward of the front axle, just like Audi does because they want to make the next M5 AWD. Although I dissent on this subject, I know people will continue to buy the car and claim it is the fastest car they've ever driven. Well the Tesla Model S can do 0-60 in 2.2 seconds these days and I have no desire to buy one of the those, too boring. I want ///M cars to sound and feel like race cars again. I guess I will just have to build my own.

Appreciate 11
      05-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #34
GLTSRY1905
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Terrible. I hope that most of these rumors are not true.

It's bad enough that they are using the same engine from the F10 M5, now there's a possibility that an M5 will get an Automatic Transmission?! How about ///M Division develops a DCT that can hold up to 900lbs/ft of torque? After all, I did it! For less than $6k too! Rebuilding my DCT with robust clutches wasn't too hard at all. No automatic transmission is going to be as fast as a DCT. The Auto on the C7 Z06 Vette is great but it's not lightning fast like a PDK or MDCT is. Or how about, instead of increasing torque, they work on significantly reducing the weight of the M5? I feel like there is little innovation and/or reason for me to want to buy any future M product. They aren't pioneering engine development anymore, they are just improving on what's already been done before. Sure the S85 V10 and the SMG were pieces of garbage when it came to long term reliability, but at least it was in keeping with great innovation and the exotic nature of motorsport. Now we may be seeing an M5 with the exact same type of transmission that is on a Kia Sorrento. With that said, I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever, that the next M5 will be the best and fastest M5 ever, however how they are going about it is extremely disappointing for me personally. I have no problem with an AWD system on an M5 or the fact that they want to throw lane departure warning on the car, or other weight adding features, but at least make an M5 with some Carbon Fiber doors, or at least doors made out of aluminum to get the weight down. How about developing a 3.0L Twin Turbo V10 engine that revs to 8,000rpm, makes 600hp, and is twice as fuel efficient as the S63tu engine and give the M5 some true exotic nature again, while complying with CARB and CAFE standards. I'm going to laugh if they have to mount the engine block too high and forward of the front axle, just like Audi does because they want to make the next M5 AWD. Although I dissent on this subject, I know people will continue to buy the car and claim it is the fastest car they've ever driven. Well the Tesla Model S can do 0-60 in 2.2 seconds these days and I have no desire to buy one of the those, too boring. I want ///M cars to sound and feel like race cars again. I guess I will just have to build my own.
Couldn't have said it better
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 05:33 PM   #35
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingAnarchy View Post
Quote:
They're dropping the DCT (and obviously manual) in favor of the 8 speed torque converters. BMW just announced that they're going to stop using DCT for high hp applications because they don't handle the extra power well enough from a long term reliability perspective.
Which is total bullshit . They should just admit the real reasons being cost and economies of scale using the same transmission in multiple cars , along with it being " smoother " with a tq converter .
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #36
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

"- new seats with M5 logo (with no light same as m3,M4 logo)"

Because glowing seat logos are for fashion victims.
Not for ballers.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #37
farns2345
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i sedan m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitacura View Post
Very nice, seems more of a sleeper M5 than the last two generations. Can't wait to see/hear more.
How is it more of a sleeper than previous gens if it has m3/4 style mirrors and a CF roof?
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #38
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Bro please, ZF 8-speed is actually better IMO.
Test drove M240i with it and was really really quick (just like my E92 DCT)
I wonder if this M5 has a shift speed button.
Appreciate 1
termigni1080.00
      05-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #39
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACEM4TE View Post
The guy that leaked it pm'd me saying that the management was not happy with him about leaking and was telling me to delete it even though it got leaked on carscoops also.
Amateurs. The world is full of amateurs.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #40
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Well, theres no problem in deleting the pic. He didnt tell us anything that we didnt know/ was expecting already..beyond me why someone would be upset with him using a pic that was long ago on the web, and those informations aren't anything new either. Even though he might have signed some sort of agreement to not leak info.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #41
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Tell him you'll delete the pic if he gets us any credible info on pricing
Appreciate 3
      05-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #42
Unkle Steve
gooby pls
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 SS Anthracite/Cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Tell him you'll delete the pic if he gets us any credible info on pricing
Or the launch date, which matters to people like me that will be seeking a car winter or spring of next year
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 06:59 PM   #43
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Sad to see RWD going away
      05-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #44
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post
Well, theres no problem in deleting the pic. He didnt tell us anything that we didnt know/ was expecting already..beyond me why someone would be upset with him using a pic that was long ago on the web, and those informations aren't anything new either. Even though he might have signed some sort of agreement to not leak info.
"Management" is probably his boss. He does after all, handle sales and the social media marketing for the largest BMW dealer in the world...
Appreciate 0