BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Engine "stuttering" - any help appreciated

12-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #1
BMA89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 CS

I have recently experienced what I can only describe as stuttering or hesitancy when accelerating hard. Weird thing is it seems to only be in high gears (5th upwards from around 3k revs upwards - example if I'm at 3k revs in 6th on the highway and give is full gas it stutters for a second and then all of a sudden goes). It's not happening every time but very regularly. I just took it to BMW for a 8000 mile service and they said there is nothing wrong with it and they were seeing no error codes or issues after checking.

Any ideas anyone on what it could be so I can take it back and point them in the right direction?

FYI I drive in auto always and it still does it even in auto.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 05:35 PM   #2
Danny D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMA89 View Post
I have recently experienced what I can only describe as stuttering or hesitancy when accelerating hard. Weird thing is it seems to only be in high gears (5th upwards from around 3k revs upwards - example if I'm at 3k revs in 6th on the highway and give is full gas it stutters for a second and then all of a sudden goes). It's not happening every time but very regularly. I just took it to BMW for a 8000 mile service and they said there is nothing wrong with it and they were seeing no error codes or issues after checking.

Any ideas anyone on what it could be so I can take it back and point them in the right direction? ( if you can see where I am going with this ).

Thanks
Question : did it down shift to lets say 3rd or fourth gear when you did that ?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 05:47 PM   #3
BMA89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D View Post
Quote:

Any ideas anyone on what it could be so I can take it back and point them in the right direction? ( if you can see where I am going with this ).

Thanks
Question : did it down shift to lets say 3rd or fourth gear when you did that ?
No because I was in manual testing each gear. I remember flooring it on daily drives and it would drop gears in auto (how I always drive) but then if it's dropping from a higher gear it would stutter still
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 05:58 PM   #4
Danny D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No because I was in manual testing each gear. I remember doing it just on daily drives and it would drop gears but the if it's dropped to a higher higher gear it would stutter still
your test succeeded in showing you that, in all honesty, you should be in full auto trans mode, all the time.

If your doing 50 MPH and trying to floor it in 6th gear manual mode at low RPM, that will kill your motor, period.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 06:09 PM   #5
BMA89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No because I was in manual testing each gear. I remember doing it just on daily drives and it would drop gears but the if it's dropped to a higher higher gear it would stutter still
your test succeeded in showing you that, in all honesty, you should be in full auto trans mode, all the time.

If your doing 50 MPH and trying to floor it in 6th gear manual mode at low RPM, that will kill your motor, period.
I wouldn't say 3000 rpm is low rpm - I'm testing it on the highway at high speeds. I'm aware lugging the engine isn't good for it and I never have but this was merely a test in manual mode to isolate the gear it was having issues in
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 06:13 PM   #6
Danny D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't say 3000 rpm is low rpm - I'm testing it on the highway at high speeds. I'm aware lugging the engine isn't good for it and I never have but this was merely a test in manual mode to isolate the gear it was having issues in
My Apologies,

I hope you figure out this issue, I thought you were lugging it.
LOL - Moving forward, is it only in 6th gear ? what speed are you doing if I may ask ?
Edit I can try to replicate and see if mines does the same, if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 06:17 PM   #7
BMA89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCharlie View Post
Oh wow- yes, you've described a textbook example of lugging your engine… especially bad for turbo or centrifugal supercharged motors. I'm surprised the dealer didn't warn you not to do that. This is exactly why I don't buy cars used- who knows what abuse it's been through under prior ownership.
I don't drive in anything other than auto - how exactly am I lugging if the car is selecting the gear it wants to be in. This manual test was one time to try and see if I could pinpoint the issue
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 06:18 PM   #8
BMA89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My Apologies,

I hope you figure out this issue, I thought you were lugging it.
LOL - Moving forward, is it only in 6th gear ? what speed are you doing if I may ask ?
Edit I can try to replicate and see if mines does the same, if that helps.
No idea on speed but whatever speed 6th gear is at 3k revs. I'm on the highway so around 70mph.

Appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 06:42 PM   #9
Danny D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Last edited by Danny D; 12-29-2021 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 09:30 PM   #10
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f80

Got the exactly same problem. Seems to be common issue. And I heard about the other owner that they said you can replace the spark plug and coil to solve the problem
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 09:42 PM   #11
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I experienced this even when I was in auto mode 8 gear and around 70mph. When I push the acceleration pedal little bit. The car just don't want to gear down and begin lugging
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 01:10 PM   #12
JK-M5
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MBB F90 M5

had the same issues, also changed spark plugs recently. still does it so maybe its just a characteristic like the tick tick tick from the HP Fuel pumps
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 03:46 PM   #13
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Had changed the spark and coil pack. Still does the stuttering but not that often .
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 03:49 PM   #14
BMA89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkw110 View Post
Had changed the spark and coil pack. Still does the stuttering but not that often .
Interesting! I have an appointment at BMW next week for them to take a look at mine finally! I'll report back any findings
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 03:53 PM   #15
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting! I have an appointment at BMW next week for them to take a look at mine finally! I'll report back any findings
Nice! Please keep me updated
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 07:33 PM   #16
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Someone figured it out?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 07:12 AM   #17
BMA89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Someone figured it out?
Sorry for the late update. Unfortunately not - they told me there was "nothing" wrong and had checked everything and all was ok. They also couldn't recreate it whilst driving and said there are no error codes or anything that they could go off so basically told me I'm good to go.

Frustrating as I know it's something they just can't find what it is.

Not really sure what to do next?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 10:18 AM   #18
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Someone figured it out?
Sorry for the late update. Unfortunately not - they told me there was "nothing" wrong and had checked everything and all was ok. They also couldn't recreate it whilst driving and said there are no error codes or anything that they could go off so basically told me I'm good to go.

Frustrating as I know it's something they just can't find what it is.

Not really sure what to do next?
Thanks for the response!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 10:51 AM   #19
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTATX View Post
It's factory tuning issue. My car had similar problem as well but now I'm stage 2.5 tuned and I don't have this lugging issue at all. When I had the car stock and after that I had another tuner I had similar issue but it went away with my current tuner.
May I ask who is your current tuner ?
Appreciate 0