BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition    Covid questions ii

11-18-2021, 12:13 PM   #45
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
That's awful, is he at least getting better? Hope he recovers soon.

Pfizer was touted as the 'best' one to get. If not that, what alternatives are there? Horrible we are all put into this crazy situation.
He is better now but taking seven medications. He was on none previously. He ended up in the hospital for 13 days I think it was. It caused him to have congestive heart failure. He is 54 years old and had no previous heart or blood pressure issues. Two cardiologists verified that it was vaccine induced.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #46
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick 6 View Post
I don't have a good track record on my Pfizer suggestion lately. That's what I told my brother to get and landed him 13 days in the hospital. I don't know what to give at this point.
I'll add that I am a diabetic, heart attack survivor. So given what seems to be mixed feelings on Pfizer right now, does that do anything to push you more towards Moderna in my case?
      11-18-2021, 12:52 PM   #47
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Two Moderna pokes, last one in April. The second one set me back pretty good for about a day. I got the Pfizer booster a couple of weeks ago. No effect beyond a sore arm for about a day. I got the regular flu shot in my other arm at the same time.

Kick 6 I'm surprised at the close personal impact from vaccination you've seen in your family. I know dozens, and know about hundreds of vaccinated people, and I know of nobody who had any negative response beyond maybe feeling crappy for a day. In contrast I have been personally close to 3 deaths from COVID, including my stepson. Based on my personal experience, I strongly recommend vaccination over taking one's chances with the virus. If I'd had your personal experience I might have to reconsider that.
Appreciate 3
vanguard8245.50
540iSUP703.00
      11-18-2021, 02:36 PM   #48
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Two Moderna pokes, last one in April. The second one set me back pretty good for about a day. I got the Pfizer booster a couple of weeks ago. No effect beyond a sore arm for about a day. I got the regular flu shot in my other arm at the same time.

Kick 6 I'm surprised at the close personal impact from vaccination you've seen in your family. I know dozens, and know about hundreds of vaccinated people, and I know of nobody who had any negative response beyond maybe feeling crappy for a day. In contrast I have been personally close to 3 deaths from COVID, including my stepson. Based on my personal experience, I strongly recommend vaccination over taking one's chances with the virus. If I'd had your personal experience I might have to reconsider that.
I too have personal experience from death from COVID. I had 5 people I know die from COVID that were 53 years old or younger. I do know a lot of people though.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 07:23 AM   #49
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Pfizer is still my recommendation with Moderna second.
Why?
      11-27-2021, 07:24 AM   #50
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Kick 6, any initial thoughts about Omicron?
      11-27-2021, 09:50 AM   #51
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
Why?
IMO, less potential for long term problems. We know the vaccines can help keep you alive, but do they have any potential negative effects? We are starting to see some pop up more frequently now.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #52
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
Kick 6, any initial thoughts about Omicron?
Not yet, but I haven't seen much literature on it. I've "heard" people say that the spike mutation change is allowing more easy entry into our cells than Delta. I believe I stated on here awhile back that this was a major concern of mine if that is true.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 10:00 AM   #53
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M8 Gran Coupe Comp

Optimus prime and Megatron we're taken so guess they had to get extra create for this annual strain.

Yes annual...

Just like every other virus.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      12-04-2021, 08:38 AM   #54
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iSUP View Post
This is one of the public's misconceptions about the vaccines. People assume, because the vaccine came out so fast, that it wasn't tested. The reality is that Covid-19 is a Coronavirus. The common cold is a Coronavirus. Let that sink in... the Common Cold IS a Coronavirus. We have vaccines for MERS and SARS, each of which is a Coronavirus. All we needed to do was change the vaccines a little bit to cover the new Novel Coronavirus. So the current Vaccines we have are considered safe because of all of the previous work and tests done when developing this new vaccine. Sure we should and could test more, but by that time the world would have lost at least 1/3rd if not more of the population before we roll out the vaccine. So, because this new Coronavirus is a lot more contagious and a lot more deadly, we needed to take action to get ahead of it and try to control the spread. I can almost guarantee that if this virus was really contagious, but didn't kill anyone, we wouldn't care, just like the common cold.

***I'm not a scientist nor would I consider myself an authority on any of this. It is up to you to ask questions and do your own research. I am merely putting forth what I know as a Respiratory Therapist and from my first hand knowledge and experience.***
This is 100% incorrect. Vaccines for MERS and SARS never came to market because of VAERD which stands for vaccine associated enhanced respiratory disease. The potential for getting VAERD is the reason I do not advocate getting the J&J or the AstraZeneca COVID vaccinations.

The mRNA technology used in the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines has not been used previously as a vaccine. It has been previously used in various cancer therapies.

One hesitation I had about the new COVID vaccines was the potential development of VAERD and my concerns were valid. I now have two family members that have suffered greatly because of the vaccines. My brother has viral cardiomyopathy from the vaccine and my wife's nephew at 22 years old just had open heart surgery as a result from the vaccine. There is good and bad with everything we do and each must be examined closely. My fear is that the bad of the vaccines is not being examined closely.
MRNA was trialed for flu and rabies about 5-6 yrs ago.

Also, all deaths reported to VAERS are investigated to confirm whether or not the vaccine was the cause.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 2
vanguard8245.50
chris7197273.00
      12-04-2021, 10:54 AM   #55
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Also, all deaths reported to VAERS are supposed to be investigated to confirm whether or not the vaccine was the cause.
I fixed that for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 07:27 AM   #56
vanguard8
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1969 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iSUP View Post
At the end of the day, people are right when they say "My body, my choice", especially knowing that the vaccine doesn't stop the actual spread.
Well, the vaccine doesn't put you in a bubble, but it does diminish the spread, & it helps people fight off the serious consequences of infection.
In billions, so far.
Covid never stops with "your body".
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      12-19-2021, 01:11 PM   #57
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Have they not developed a decent test to determine if one is infected or not? Wouldn't it be better to have that (which is the direct way to address the prb) vs having everyone vaxxed and carrying v-passports (plus all the -ive implications stemming from that) as they can still be infected and infect others?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 09:40 PM   #58
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Have they not developed a decent test to determine if one is infected or not? Wouldn't it be better to have that (which is the direct way to address the prb) vs having everyone vaxxed and carrying v-passports (plus all the -ive implications stemming from that) as they can still be infected and infect others?
They have simple at home tests you can get at walgreens and walmart for like $14. They are not as accurate as the lab ones, but everything I’ve read seems to indicate they are pretty good, especially at detecting a viral load that would allow you to spread it. So a lab test may detect tiny amounts of virus that the home test wont, but you probably can’t infect anyone with such a small viral load.

Pretty sure they use the same type of test for the flu because I’ve had those rapid tests done at walk in clinics for the flu.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2022, 05:27 PM   #59
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
They have simple at home tests you can get at walgreens and walmart for like $14. They are not as accurate as the lab ones, but everything I’ve read seems to indicate they are pretty good,
Yep.

We just got the free rapid test 4 pack from government recently. I felt like dog shit today and tested Positive (2 lines) Hopefully it's minor stuff.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 05:07 AM   #60
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard8 View Post
Well, the vaccine doesn't put you in a bubble, but it does diminish the spread, & it helps people fight off the serious consequences of infection.
In billions, so far.
Covid never stops with "your body".
You are correct, it doesn't stop with just your own body. But there will always be push back. People are scared of side effects, which is valid, but everything has side effects. People feel that if the vaccine doesn't stop the spread, why get it. We recently "found out" cloth masks do nothing.

Here is the thing: we always knew cloth masks weren't as effective as N-95s, but because there weren't enough masks, we needed to save them for first responders and healthcare professionals. I believe something is better than nothing and in this case masking up and distancing was the best we could come up with. So the science wasn't wrong, it was just we needed to adjust to what we had available.

We now have vaccines and the initial thought was that you get vaxed and you're good. We now know that you can still spread and get Covid, but you won't be able to spread it as long, and if you do get sick, you have a much higher chance of survival.

You can look at this virus in two lights, how it affects yourself and how it affects others. Some people are more concerned with their own life and the lives of their loved ones, while others are concerned for the life of everyone. It is not up to us to tell people who or what to believe. All we can do is present the science as clearly as possible and leave it up to each individual to make that decision. I say "my body, my choice" because I also believe in abortion, and if I were to force people to get a vaccine (even though it is for the good of all) I would be a hypocrite.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 02:42 AM   #61
Brisa Schaden
Rep
Drives: vezel

booster dose

Quote:
Please leave the political statements out of this thread. This is simply question and answer.

I got the question "Kick 6, what is your opinion on the booster that is being discussed recently, specifically Pfizer."

The booster does a good job of increasing antibodies against SARS-Cov2. This will greatly help reduce hospitalizations and deaths. The million dollar question is how long will it be effective. IMO, the Pfizer shots should be given farther apart. There is some info out there showing a 3.5 times increase in antibody production when given further apart.

My personal preference would be to get the Pfizer shot. Moderna would be my second choice. I don't advocate getting J&J or AstraZeneca.
yeah definitely booster does a good job of increasing antibodies. this will greatly help hospitalizations and death ratio.it may be necessary to receive a third dose because those first two aren't doing what they do in otherwise normal, healthy people. we're in a situation where, as I said, the evidence shows that the vaccines that people have received are holding up really well to protect you against severe disease, against hospitalization and against death
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 08:58 AM   #62
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I've had flu like effects from all three shots, usually three days in bed and then I'm fine. I got the vaccine because I had an 82 year old with health issues in the house, it probably wouldn't kill me but I certainly didn't want to give it to her.

A few days before Christmas, I dropped a friend at the airport and felt a sore throat coming on. It turned into the worst sore throat, cough, congestion and headaches I've ever experienced. I think that it could have been Omicron but who drags themselves out of bed to sit in line for a few hours to get tested? I was in bed for 13 days just coughing, running nose and sweating for a couple of those days. Luckily, I have gotten back to running and feeling back to normal now. Why get the vaccine? So you don't get sick enough to go to the hospital and not spread it to someone that it will likely kill. You can be asymptomatic but you're really protecting those that it may kill.
      02-11-2022, 09:00 AM   #63
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
My first 2 jabs were with Pfizer and I'm due for the 3rd booster already. I didn't exhibit any symptoms with either shot so do you think I'd have any symptoms with the booster?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 05:32 PM   #64
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
My first 2 jabs were with Pfizer and I'm due for the 3rd booster already. I didn't exhibit any symptoms with either shot so do you think I'd have any symptoms with the booster?
Have you had COVID? People who have had COVID and get vaccinated have something like a 40% increase in adverse effects from the vaccination. My brother didn't have his problems until immediately after his second vaccine.

The way Omicron went through the community including vaccinated people, I wouldn't think getting a booster would be necessary.
Appreciate 2
KennyFSU1102.50
      02-11-2022, 06:21 PM   #65
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Why are they still pushing shots when it's supposedly ineffective against the prevalent C19 rn (Omicron)?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 07:50 PM   #66
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Why are they still pushing shots when it's supposedly ineffective against the prevalent C19 rn (Omicron)?
Follow the $
Kick 6284.00
TboneS54989.50