BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    buggy issues with carplay

11-30-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
salraf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, prior F80 M3, E60 M5

buggy issues with carplay

I find that carplay at times is very buggy. It always defaults to being on when starting the car which is fine, but then to change to radio presets or the channels, I have to press several buttons to get there. This was not the case in the past.
Media button next to center console wheel doesnt do it. Next I try mode button next to radio volume button and then pressing mode on the steering wheel. I eventually get outof carplay mode but dont recall what I buttons I press, but it is more than one.

Also, a big issue is that my VM do not play through carplay anymore but rather I hear them on my phone in my pocket. Not sure how that happened since it was working in the past.
Text messages, spotify, podcasts work fine.

Not sure what version I have.

Thanks for any suggestions
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 12:04 PM   #2
adeuel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Oxford Green M5C

For the past few BMWs, I have saved my "Presets" selection as a speed dial button on one of the numeric pad buttons above the AC unit.

It does take you out of carplay and to the iDrive preset menu, but you can immediately hit the "Back" button below iDrive and it goes back to carplay, (waze). From there, I use the wheel on the right side of steering wheel to scroll through the radio/XM presets in the tach display, leaving carplay on the main screen.

To set the presets button on the key pad, navigate to the presets screen and then press and hold whatever button you want to store it in.
2016 Med Blue 650ix GC : 2008 BSM 535i 6MT
1999 Jet Black 528i
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 07:08 PM   #3
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

This feature of Carplay drives me crazy - every time I do anything on the phone the sound switches to Carplay and away from whatever else I was listening to. Is there any way to have it not do that?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 10:15 PM   #4
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneM3 View Post
This feature of Carplay drives me crazy - every time I do anything on the phone the sound switches to Carplay and away from whatever else I was listening to. Is there any way to have it not do that?
No there is no way to turn it off. But refer to the post above and create presets and go back to the music source of your choice quickly by those preset buttons.

You should experience the Porsche system (2021MY), that one is way worse in terms of CarPlay working along with original system of the car and music sources and etc. plus as soon as you are moving you cannot type any directions in Waze, cannot browse through music albums on iTunes and etc. BMW system and CarPlay are not that bad, especially if you have preset buttons assigned to your favourite music sources.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 06:46 AM   #5
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I am definitely going to be programming the preset buttons as getting back to the radio is a PITA. Thank you both for that idea!
Appreciate 0