BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Upkeep on frozen paint?

11-22-2021, 12:32 PM   #1
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M5C

Upkeep on frozen paint?

The sales mgr at my dealer is telling me that he doesn't recommend any kind of ceramic or 3M film as a protective layer, but I constantly read about folks her using a PPE(?) wrap on their frozen paint jobs.

Also, if you've had to repair a frozen paint job, how hard has it been for you to find someone to match it? My sales mgr is also telling me that there aren't any touch up paint jobs available for frozen.

And is it really hand wash only?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 12:48 PM   #2
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

sales manager is incorrect.

You can ceramic it, you can also PPF. I just had a rep from (3D) come to my shop last week to demo some stuff as i'm thinking to switch over. My father has a Frozen CS on the way, so i started picking his brain and he did say i can ceramic. Some ceramics however do change the appearance of the finish on the frozen paint (which you may or may not like)

As for painting frozen finish, it's extremely challenging. A skilled painter can do it. Is it a pain in the ass, absolutely yes. I think i have some pics of an AMG G wagon in Matte i did awhile back, i'll see if i can dig it up.

Your last question, hand wash... is that a serious question?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post

You can ceramic it, you can also PPF. I just had a rep from (3D) come to my shop last week to demo some stuff as i'm thinking to switch over. My father has a Frozen CS on the way, so i started picking his brain and he did say i can ceramic. Some ceramics however do change the appearance of the finish on the frozen paint (which you may or may not like)

As for painting frozen finish, it's extremely challenging. A skilled painter can do it. Is it a pain in the ass, absolutely yes. I think i have some pics of an AMG G wagon in Matte i did awhile back, i'll see if i can dig it up.

I thought all M5s were hand wash only.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 01:14 PM   #4
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post

I have extremely hard water where I live. I also have four kids 12 and under. Between the two, taking it to a car wash is a win-win for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #5
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5

I think a good touchless car wash is another good option. For vinyl wrapped cars its definitely best because with hand wash they scratch the material too easily, frozen paint is probably less prone to it and more durable, but nonetheless a good touchless wash should get the job done just fine for both choices. (Works for me at least, with good results).
Appreciate 2
omgmike358.00
TFERG30.50
      11-22-2021, 01:28 PM   #6
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

uhm, i personally would never wash any of my vehicles in any other fashion besides by hand. I haven't seen/visited a carwash in years, so idk what kind of new stuff they have going on, but i'll pass on that.

Matte finishes need to be washed lightly and delicately. Overwashing, and scrubbing at the paint can cause irregularities in the finish (turning it shiny)

That is coming directly from my PPG manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 02:22 PM   #7
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmike View Post
The sales mgr at my dealer is telling me that he doesn't recommend any kind of ceramic or 3M film as a protective layer, but I constantly read about folks her using a PPE(?) wrap on their frozen paint jobs.

Also, if you've had to repair a frozen paint job, how hard has it been for you to find someone to match it? My sales mgr is also telling me that there aren't any touch up paint jobs available for frozen.

Thanks!
Sales manager doesn't know anything about PPF on cars. Ignore what he said and get it mate wrapped by suntek or Xpel.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
omgmike358.00
      11-22-2021, 06:13 PM   #8
trackday96
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 CS, Porsche 911 GT3 RS

Garage List
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
When I buy a frozen/matte painted car, it is a requirement to XPEL Stealth ppf the car. Between the stress of repaint for blemishes or the absurdly prevalent water spots, I found that I was avoiding driving without a ppf..

Good luck!
jc05e46m3843.50
      11-22-2021, 10:29 PM   #9
Dual.V8
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: m5 f90

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks!
Crazy lol I just put an order on satin white m5 today and the salesman told me the same !
Meanwhile I coated my e63s wagon with selenite grey which is a frozen/mate paint and the car looks the same as any other car
      11-22-2021, 11:55 PM   #10
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Most sales managers don't know sh*t about cars. Just how much to sell them to you for.

I've seen countless frozen paint jobs PPF'd. It's fine. Get the condom wrapped and move on.
A.dot234.50
      11-25-2021, 08:48 PM   #11
Kstoff125
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

I've got a 2016 G63 in matte gray, best paint ever, just wash and dry it…looks great. My personal experience with matte paint has been somewhat contradictory to what many post. I imagine if you want show car looks it may be more difficult, but I've found general care is relatively easy. I've never put any paint protection on it or ceramic coating.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
omgmike358.00
      11-26-2021, 07:00 AM   #12
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

All good with my Frozen Arctic Grey F90 M5.

I went with a Gtechniq ceramic coating over 3 years ago and it's amazing.

I only wash my car by hand, with the 2 bucket method using Gyeon products.

Photos speak for themselves :

Appreciate 1
Kstoff125237.00
      11-26-2021, 07:26 AM   #13
MDJAK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

I’ve also used the 2 bucket method with grit guards in buckets for years.

However, I’ve seen what I consider to be a better, safer method. I don’t do it out of sheer laziness I guess, but it’s actually better to use 4 or 5 wash mitts, one on each panel. Using the same mitt, no matter rinsing it in rinse bucket, leaves fine dirt on it and can scratch.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 07:36 AM   #14
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
I thought all M5s were hand wash only.
I snow foam, jet wash then AIR blower dry, works well on Treated finished paint, but not on untreated paint.
Polished and ceramic coatings great.
PS: use soft water for the washing.
omgmike358.00
      11-26-2021, 07:57 AM   #15
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
I’ve also used the 2 bucket method with grit guards in buckets for years.

However, I’ve seen what I consider to be a better, safer method. I don’t do it out of sheer laziness I guess, but it’s actually better to use 4 or 5 wash mitts, one on each panel. Using the same mitt, no matter rinsing it in rinse bucket, leaves fine dirt on it and can scratch.
Good point.

I change between 2-3 mitts depending on how dirty is the car, this way I'm not taking any risk.

For drying, I just use my leaf blower and then a Gyeon drying aid for matte paint, and the results are really impressive.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 08:20 AM   #16
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-am View Post
Good point.

I change between 2-3 mitts depending on how dirty is the car, this way I'm not taking any risk.

For drying, I just use my leaf blower and then a Gyeon drying aid for matte paint, and the results are really impressive.
Leaf blowers have no filters they just such up dirty air and blast it on your paint containing grit and all sorts.
      11-26-2021, 10:22 AM   #17
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Leaf blowers have no filters they just such up dirty air and blast it on your paint containing grit and all sorts.
IT'S NOT FILTERED... What a stupid comment.

If you are concerned about the ambient air, you shouldn't be driving your car on the highway

This is the way I'm drying my cars for the past 6 years and everything is just fine.

You should watch Obsessed Garage videos...

Last edited by Alberta; 11-30-2021 at 04:45 AM..
Appreciate 2
      11-26-2021, 03:16 PM   #18
BlueString
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i, 2021 F90 M5

Quote:
I have extremely hard water where I live. I also have four kids 12 and under. Between the two, taking it to a car wash is a win-win for me.
Same here, kids and life, car wash is the way to go.
Appreciate 1
omgmike358.00