BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Weird felling when car in 7th or 8th gear

11-21-2021, 12:19 AM   #1
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f80

Weird felling when car in 7th or 8th gear

Recently I feel that when the boost kick in during 1500rpm in 7th or 8th gear, the car feels like can not hold the boost and begin to leak some of the boost. Only in rpm range when you start from low to 1500rpm in 7th 8th gear. Can anyone give me some suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 12:22 AM   #2
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

May be vacuum line or waste gate control unit? I don't know
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 12:23 AM   #3
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Has anyone experienced this before?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 05:48 AM   #4
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkw110 View Post
Recently I feel that when the boost kick in during 1500rpm in 7th or 8th gear, the car feels like can not hold the boost and begin to leak some of the boost. Only in rpm range when you start from low to 1500rpm in 7th 8th gear. Can anyone give me some suggestions?
What is the year of your car? Have you modified the car or is it stock? Does this happen when the transmission is in auto or manual mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 07:27 AM   #5
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Quote:
What is the year of your car? Have you modified the car or is it stock? Does this happen when the transmission is in auto or manual mode?
It's 2018 f90. It's has a bm3 stage 1 on it, but when I tune it back to stock, the problem is there too. also happens both in manual and auto mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 08:44 AM   #6
DrivenAgain
MFJWADE
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

This is called lugging, do not do it. Do not try to make boost at that low of an RPM with that high of a gear. This scenario is how the majority of rods are bent on this platform. Our cars have HUGE turbos and they are meant to spool up much higher in the RPM range. If you feel the car start to lug, downshift with your paddle.
      11-21-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenAgain View Post
This is called lugging, do not do it. Do not try to make boost at that low of an RPM with that high of a gear. This scenario is how the majority of rods are bent on this platform. Our cars have HUGE turbos and they are meant to spool up much higher in the RPM range. If you feel the car start to lug, downshift with your paddle.
Is the " lugging" a common issue happen a this engine?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 12:19 PM   #8
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
When I put he gearbox logic in the level one , it will automatically doing this kind of action . So should I drive in level two?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #9
DrivenAgain
MFJWADE
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
When I put he gearbox logic in the level one , it will automatically doing this kind of action . So should I drive in level two?
Yes level 1 will make the transmission sluggish, level 2 is better for daily driving and will force more downshifts, that initial boost hit before the downshift is what you want to avoid, u can hear it like the engine is struggling and won't downshift
      11-21-2021, 12:24 PM   #10
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes level 1 will make the transmission sluggish, level 2 is better for daily driving and will force more downshifts, that initial boost hit before the downshift is what you want to avoid, u can hear it like the engine is struggling and won't downshift
It make sense. Is this " lugging " action happens in your car too?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 12:30 PM   #11
DrivenAgain
MFJWADE
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes they all do it. Another scenario is shifting to control your speed in manual, and forgetting to go back to Auto. Like forgetting your in manual gear 7 at 1500rom then floor it at low speed, also not a good situation.
      11-21-2021, 12:36 PM   #12
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes they all do it. Another scenario is shifting to control your speed in manual, and forgetting to go back to Auto. Like forgetting your in manual gear 7 at 1500rom then floor it at low speed, also not a good situation.
One question: I am not flooring it like to have a hard push in a low rpm and low gear. I just foot on the accelerator very little , then the car begins to boost leak and give me a feeling like " lugging"
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #13
DrivenAgain
MFJWADE
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
One question: I am not flooring it like to have a hard push in a low rpm and low gear. I just foot on the accelerator very little , then the car begins to boost leak and give me a feeling like " lugging"
It's not leaking boost although it sounds like it, that's the sound of the the "lugging" and it's most noticeable at part throttle, full throttle would cause a downshift.
      11-21-2021, 01:32 PM   #14
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's not leaking boost although it sounds like it, that's the sound of the the "lugging" and it's most noticeable at part throttle, full throttle would cause a downshift.
Thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 05:05 PM   #15
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Turbo and 1500rpm do not mix. Increase rpm.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 05:08 PM   #16
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E63s AMG Estate

Wow, I did not realise this, thanks folks for this advice
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 07:57 PM   #17
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
So I was having some issues similar to this where on part throttle car would hesitate at low rpm. I will also get cyl 5 misfire in idle but not in wot.

So I was gonna change the coil and injector for cyl 5 as plugs are new but this morning I wanted to try an injector cleaner and tried liqui Molly in 3/4th tank. After some spirited driving, car is a lot smoother, no codes, no hiccups. I'm gonna drive it for a couple of more days and hope issue is fixed.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 08:03 PM   #18
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTATX View Post
So I was having some issues similar to this where on part throttle car would hesitate at low rpm. I will also get cyl 5 misfire in idle but not in wot.

So I was gonna change the coil and injector for cyl 5 as plugs are new but this morning I wanted to try an injector cleaner and tried liqui Molly in 3/4th tank. After some spirited driving car is a lot smoother, no codes, no hiccups. I'm gonna drive it for couple or more days and and hope issues is fixed.
Thanks for your reply! Helps a lot!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 06:30 AM   #19
dougpaper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

noticed something similar felt like my tranny was messed up because it was jerking. at maybe 60-65 if i lay lightly on the throttle on the interstate it bucks unless i push down further. My guess was the transmission needed to downshift but the electronics must glitch at certain speeds versus throttle position. I have Racechip and in most other cirucumstances never experience it. My gut tells me not to lug in economy setting at highway speeds so i usually put tranny in second position.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 12:23 PM   #20
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougpaper View Post
noticed something similar felt like my tranny was messed up because it was jerking. at maybe 60-65 if i lay lightly on the throttle on the interstate it bucks unless i push down further. My guess was the transmission needed to downshift but the electronics must glitch at certain speeds versus throttle position. I have Racechip and in most other cirucumstances never experience it. My gut tells me not to lug in economy setting at highway speeds so i usually put tranny in second position.
Exactly same situation!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 07:34 AM   #21
dougpaper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
what part of Pa? i am just outside Pittsburgh
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 01:41 PM   #22
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougpaper View Post
Quote:
what part of Pa? i am just outside Pittsburgh
State college. Lol
Appreciate 0