BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    F90 M5 Closed Preview Notes (Claimed Specs)

05-09-2017, 04:45 AM   #111
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Is the 6MT dead? I never even considered a manual but if the DCT is out, I would opt for a 6MT!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 07:08 AM   #112
IshR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

If f90 drops DCT for an Auto box, I think the folks working in M-division have gone FULL RETARD.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #113
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshR View Post
If f90 drops DCT for an Auto box, I think the folks working in M-division have gone FULL RETARD.
No, they are not retard, they just care more about the bottom line than satisfying a few enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #114
RACEM4TE
Banned
Rep
Drives: S63 AMG COUPÈ, Mclaren 675LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat
Quote:
No, they are not retard, they just care more about the bottom line than satisfying a few enthusiasts.
True but bmw is the only company that uses a DCT while audi uses a ZF And merc a mct
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #115
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACEM4TE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat
Quote:
True but bmw is the only company that uses a DCT while audi uses a ZF And merc a mct
and both are lesser than the dct. herd mentality is winning.
      05-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #116
Motorboat411
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACEM4TE View Post
Heres the new details, spotted by my friends son and he sent them to me immediately (we both are M fanboys while his father is on the AMG side)
What does the instrument cluster look like? Standard 5-series LCD one or traditional with needles? If LCD, then did it have a different "theme"?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 07:31 AM   #117
IshR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Disagree a little there matey. They are blurring lines - 550 is supposed to be for the non enthusiasts. M5 has always been for the enthusiasts like us on this forum.

We may all decide the m5 isnt so special any more, the RS6 and E63s amg are certainly a lot more appealing if f90 drops dct and has a heavy awd system. How is the f90 going to be better then its competition?

I tell you one thing, the E63s sounds a hell of a lot better 😄
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 09:03 AM   #118
RACEM4TE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshR
Quote:
Disagree a little there matey. They are blurring lines - 550 is supposed to be for the non enthusiasts. M5 has always been for the enthusiasts like us on this forum.

We may all decide the m5 isnt so special any more, the RS6 and E63s amg are certainly a lot more appealing if f90 drops dct and has a heavy awd system. How is the f90 going to be better then its competition?

BMW is definitely going to be lighter even with AWD. Fuck sakes The new B9 RS5 weighs 1650 kilos while the C63s weighs 1900 with RWD, the M4? Lighter than both.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 09:04 AM   #119
RACEM4TE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboat411
Quote:
Heres the new details, spotted by my friends son and he sent them to me immediately (we both are M fanboys while his father is on the AMG side)
What does the instrument cluster look like? Standard 5-series LCD one or traditional with needles? If LCD, then did it have a different "theme"?
Full screen with a M mode. Maybe shift lights like audis VC?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #120
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:

Maybe in the past, but not anymore. They said they will not make turbo cars, won't make M SUV, no AWD on the M sedans, well, look what have we got now?

Porsche now makes more SUV than 911s. Remember purists used to upset when Porsche started making the SUVs? How did Porsche respond? Make even more of them, because it makes a lot of money for Porsche.

I don't have access to BMW's data, but I am pretty sure most M5 buyers don't participate in forums and are likely old rich people who are increasingly placing a premium on comfort.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #121
Fixinbones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ‘22 911 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
If you lease then the value prop of the M5 over the E63S is stunning and deeply obvious.
Yup, AMGs are the worst cars in its class when it come to lease values
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 01:15 AM   #122
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe in the past, but not anymore. They said they will not make turbo cars, won't make M SUV, no AWD on the M sedans, well, look what have we got now?

Porsche now makes more SUV than 911s. Remember purists used to upset when Porsche started making the SUVs? How did Porsche respond? Make even more of them, because it makes a lot of money for Porsche.

I don't have access to BMW's data, but I am pretty sure most M5 buyers don't participate in forums and are likely old rich people who are increasingly placing a premium on comfort.
And it's the same for BMW. Last I read BMW SUV sales were just as much as the famous 3-series
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 06:53 AM   #123
IshR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
BMW is definitely going to be lighter even with AWD. Fuck sakes The new B9 RS5 weighs 1650 kilos while the C63s weighs 1900 with RWD, the M4? Lighter than both.
Maybe, but not significantly lighter. 2017 E63s AMG has EU Kerb Weight of 1955kg which includes tank of fuel and 75kg person. The f10 M5 has EU kerb weight of 1945kg.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 11:22 AM   #124
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:

I'm a F10 M5 owner and 38. However I'm a dad and can do some reasonable distances for work on occasions so comfort is important and space is important. If I didn't have kids a 2 door sports car might well be a nicer thing to sling around windy roads but as an all rounder the M5 is pretty hard to beat. Don't fancy running two cars for myself so a good all in one is what I'm after.

On the F10 in comfort mode and with the seats they put in, it's the most comfortable car I've owned. I've also driven a few 7 series and those are of course a step up but even with the poor roads we have in the UK the M5 is amazingly comfortable. Switch it to stiffer settings and it handles well for its size.

I've had a BMW with the ZF 8 speed and I've no issues them switching the dual clutch to that. It's a great transmission and it is smoother for lower speed city driving that's for sure.

Also 4 wheel drive is a great addition at least for the UK where it can be cold / wet quite a lot of the time. Even when it's dry the car can struggle to put all it's power down so it'll make it much more usable more of the time.

The E63S is reported to be even more firm than the C63S. That's a deal breaker as I owned a C63S and that's acceptable but it is in the firm side, even more firm is not good for this class of car. The old E63 was very comfortable so they've ruined that car personally at least for sales in the UK.
Appreciate 1
Phatcat749.50