BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    BMW and Porsche Just Beat Tesla to Three-Minute Charge With Project "FastCharge"

12-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #89
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
From a person that has never been to a track...

Lol at the inaccuracy of this post
Ok, which is inaccurate? All the gas cars I've listed have overheating issues regarding track use. It is well documented.

CTR overheat:
https://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?...tem_id=1329332

335i overheating:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32088

370Z overheat:
https://my350z.com/forum/2009-370z/4...d-courses.html

Corvette Z07 overheating:
https://jalopnik.com/fourth-class-ac...-go-1823190855

And for Model 3 users going to the track? Why would you take a car to a track that can only do 10 minutes of track time before it overheats?
I do at least 5 20 minutes sessions at the track in a day, with friends in 350z, 370z, etc.

Never heard of overheating in my car or my friends cars...

I guess I'm not doing it right...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 04:02 PM   #90
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
I do at least 5 20 minutes sessions at the track in a day, with friends in 350z, 370z, etc.

I am on track every 3 months or so.

370Z stock has heat issues. I've seen more parked than on track most of the time. If you start upgrading the cooling, it can run better. Also, Nismo editions seem to be better with heat. 335i, I've had many friends who brought their cars to the track to end up sitting out most of the day due to cooling issues. With upgraded radiators and oil coolers, it will work ok though. I can run all day in the M3 and never have heat issues.

Another question is.. does it hit 110+ degrees F (43C) at the tracks you run at? Those are pretty normal summer temps around here.
      12-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #91
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I am on track every 3 months or so.

370Z stock has heat issues. I've seen more parked than on track most of the time. If you start upgrading the cooling, it can run better. Also, Nismo editions seem to be better with heat.

Another question is.. does it hit 110+ degrees F (43C) at the tracks you run at? Those are pretty normal summer temps around here.
I guess it doesn't get as hot on the tracks I go to.

Good point about external temperature and cooling systems. If a car goes on limp mode due to that that's equivalent to a battery getting hot.

Sorry I was defensive on my first response to you. I just have never seen overheating issues with my or other cars (except the occasional old civic, but who knows if their properly maintained, I wouldn't go ahead and say they all have cooling issues).
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #92
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Let the record show that I've never had any heat issues with my 2014 335i, and I've brought it to the track quite a number of times. Actually I find my car's oil temp is lower while lapping!
      12-17-2018, 04:18 PM   #93
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I guess it doesn't get as hot on the tracks I go to.

Good point about external temperature and cooling systems. If a car goes on limp mode due to that that's equivalent to a battery getting hot.

Sorry I was defensive on my first response to you. I just have never seen overheating issues with my or other cars (except the occasional old civic, but who knows if their properly maintained, I wouldn't go ahead and say they all have cooling issues).
Thanks,

It gets pretty hot in California - some of the Southern California tracks are in the middle of the desert.

Anyway, there's cooling solutions for many of these cars in these conditions but from the factory, they aren't set up for track use. I think the manufacturer's do push the limits in testing but draw the line where they feel most people would not notice the difference.

I find often the older sports cars are the ones with less issues on track. They're less complicated and without boost (turbo/supercharging) so they don't build up as much heat.

Model 3 has heat issues for sure. At least it has better heat management than the model S. I'd like it for a daily driver but I've no need or budget for a fancy daily commuter car. I'd rather put that money towards a fun car.
      12-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #94
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Let the record show that I've never had any heat issues with my 2014 335i, and I've brought it to the track quite a number of times. Actually I find my car's oil temp is lower while lapping!
You have a N55. I'm referring to the N54. It will limp mode without upgraded cooling - there's a ton of threads on the e90 forums.
      12-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #95
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
You have a N55. I'm referring to the N54. It will limp mode without upgraded cooling - there's a ton of threads on the e90 forums.
That must be why my N55 is the same. Thanks
I agree with what you said above as well.
Appreciate 1
Z K1886.00
      12-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #96
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That must be why my N55 is the same. Thanks
I agree with what you said above as well.
I guess I should have mentioned n54 335i instead of just saying 335i. I was just trying to give examples of gas powered cars that overheat on track without going into specifics.

Here's a funny bit about the Model S P100D "Race car" that can't do more than 5 minutes on track before overheating. Tesla has a long way to go...
https://jalopnik.com/here-s-what-hap...-th-1827321127
      12-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #97
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I think what should be acknowledged is when an ICE-powered car overheats on track it's considered an unexpected failure or flaw in the design; while overheating is completely expected and indeed par for the course with EVs. Big difference.
      12-17-2018, 06:57 PM   #98
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDrive View Post
I guess you are brainwashed yourself you crusty old man.

Nah, I learned science before the internet was invented; when people wrote actual books on the subject. It was called an education. Good luck with saving the planet.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-18-2018 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #99
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Why are you guys arguing about track usage? Almost no one buying a Tesla will be doing it primarily for track usage. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of BMW buyers aren't either. (Porsche GT, perhaps different story/market)

I do get (and so does Elon) the marketing benefit of having track bragging rights, but even if Tesla was shit on the track, it wouldn't really bother anyone.

(Now what should bother you is that they're the automotive equivalent of riding the bullet train, but if you don't want to go there, carry on)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 05:32 AM   #100
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I all adds up.

It's actually a collective effort.
This just cracks me up. Here you are telling us that we don't give a shit about "tomorrow" yet you advocate track driving an EV/Hybrid. I hope you can see the irony in what you are writing. You do understand that if one is considering his environmental impact on the planet by the size of the carbon footprint he creates, the LAST thing he would do is advocate racing a car on a track regardless of the car's drivetrain architecture. I would think Chicken Little would be advocating a simplistic lifestyle that conserves fuel at any cost and personal sacrifice.

Please continue, I need the entertainment...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-18-2018 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 10:50 AM   #101
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
I all adds up.

It's actually a collective effort.
This just cracks me up...
Owning at least one electric car is a huge start.

Now please get a life you old geezer.

I thought you were done.

Next /
      12-18-2018, 11:04 AM   #102
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:

I thought you were done.

Next /
You seem to have a lot of anger towards older folks, or are you joking and it's just not coming through in your posts.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #103
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Why are you guys arguing about track usage? Almost no one buying a Tesla will be doing it primarily for track usage. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of BMW buyers aren't either. (Porsche GT, perhaps different story/market)

I do get (and so does Elon) the marketing benefit of having track bragging rights, but even if Tesla was shit on the track, it wouldn't really bother anyone.

(Now what should bother you is that they're the automotive equivalent of riding the bullet train, but if you don't want to go there, carry on)
Yes, they are shit on track unless you're going for that 1 lap glory run. And yes, the mass majority of people will never see the track.

But that doesn't satisfy most car enthusiasts which do go to the track... until Tesla or other EV maker comes out with a serious sports sedan, it is a very expensive commuter car.

If it was 1/2 the price, I wouldn't care. The car is actually not very expensive to build. It's the batteries that are the majority of the cost.
      12-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #104
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Yes, they are shit on track unless you're going for that 1 lap glory run. And yes, the mass majority of people will never see the track.

But that doesn't satisfy most car enthusiasts which do go to the track... until Tesla or other EV maker comes out with a serious sports sedan, it is a very expensive commuter car.

If it was 1/2 the price, I wouldn't care. The car is actually not very expensive to build. It's the batteries that are the majority of the cost.
I'd add to that, as I know a few folks that have them and I think there's a view that they have something unique. I think a lot of the owners aren't care people but they love the tech aspect, like the big iPad in the dash. It's also a status symbol for many of them.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      12-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #105
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I'd add to that, as I know a few folks that have them and I think there's a view that they have something unique. I think a lot of the owners aren't care people but they love the tech aspect, like the big iPad in the dash. It's also a status symbol for many of them.
Living in California, Teslas are everywhere. Since the Model 3 is lower priced, I see them much more often now.

The majority of them are definitely not car enthusiasts. Having a conversation with them is very frustrating. As you say, they love the technology... being able to control your car with the phone, autopilot, how fast and smooth the user interface is etc... all features that most car people don't care much about. They're very proud of their car but it's more of a status symbol.

Then if you start talking about driving and performance, they start quoting how fast the car accelerates, it'll do 0-60 in under 5 seconds. They know nothing about handling or how the car does in speeds past 60mph (they don't do well). Nor that the figure is not really impressive when an Evo or STI was doing 0-60 in 4.5 seconds back in 2003.

I've been behind the wheel of a few Model 3s. They're not bad.. but definitely not a car I'd own as my only car.
      12-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #106
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I thought you were done.

Next /
LOL. With age comes patience, Grasshopper. There are over 4 billion carbon spewing humans on the planet. Far more than 60% could give a shit about global warming and the tomorrow they are concerned about is the one that is 24 hours away from today, not some Western guilt-trip fantasy land where the trees are catching fire because of a 1 degree C change in the globe's mean temperature. Your need to feel special is consuming you.

Young Grasshopper, ease your mind, drive fossil.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-18-2018 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      12-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #107
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:

I thought you were done.

Next /
You seem to have a lot of anger towards older folks, or are you joking and it's just not coming through in your posts.
I am good with older people just not the grumpy ones including yourself.

12-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #108
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He knows we're not going to be a round when Mother Earth overheats and kills all of humanity, so he knows we don't care about the planet, which is from where the hatred stems.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-19-2018 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0