BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Active driving assistant: audible warning?

06-26-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
eligibleli
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 sDrive28i

Active driving assistant: audible warning?

My car has the Active Driving Assistant and not the ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant.

I have noticed a few instances where I see a visible warning on the HUD, with a red car...etc... However, I don't hear any audible warning.

Is there supposed to be an audible warning or just visual? The manual did say audible, but I cannot get that to show.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

There are 3 steps to the collision warning

1. red image on HUD / instrument cluster solid without sound
2. blinking red image with sound
3. blinking red image with sound and the car hits the brakes at last possible second (you'll probably still have a collision just not as bad)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
eligibleli
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 sDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrumdh View Post
There are 3 steps to the collision warning

1. red image on HUD / instrument cluster solid without sound
2. blinking red image with sound
3. blinking red image with sound and the car hits the brakes at last possible second (you'll probably still have a collision just not as bad)

Ah thanks. Hopefully I'll never hear it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep

I have mine set to "Early" warning as I figure I'd prefer to tolerate some false red car HUD messages vs miss an opportunity to avoid a collision. I'm not sure if this impacts how early the beeping alert happens.

About once a quarter I get a false beeping alert, typically on 4 lane roads where I'm on the side of a curve and the outside lane is stopped, it'll see those first cars as a stopped car in front of me until I turn the wheel for the curve which causes it to freak out. There is 1 spot on the local roads here where that happens in morning traffic.

I've legit had it emergency warn me twice, both times it was somebody stopping short in front of me. The first time I saw it happening and was already in motion to hit the brakes. The second time caught me unaware and the alert scared my passenger as I, however it got me to stomp on the brake and avoid a collision while I was trying to figure out why my center lane just stopped.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:06 AM   #5
nyquistcondition
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrumdh View Post
I have mine set to "Early" warning as I figure I'd prefer to tolerate some false red car HUD messages vs miss an opportunity to avoid a collision. I'm not sure if this impacts how early the beeping alert happens.

About once a quarter I get a false beeping alert, typically on 4 lane roads where I'm on the side of a curve and the outside lane is stopped, it'll see those first cars as a stopped car in front of me until I turn the wheel for the curve which causes it to freak out. There is 1 spot on the local roads here where that happens in morning traffic.

I've legit had it emergency warn me twice, both times it was somebody stopping short in front of me. The first time I saw it happening and was already in motion to hit the brakes. The second time caught me unaware and the alert scared my passenger as I, however it got me to stomp on the brake and avoid a collision while I was trying to figure out why my center lane just stopped.
Does the X1 have the same feature as my X5 - when the brake pedal Is pressed during beeping event the braking force is greatly increased? It's a jarring but helpful feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 03:53 AM   #6
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

The X1 has "Brake Assist" as standard, and this is in effect all the time, not just when the collision detection is active. It detects when you are rapidly pressing the brake pedal, and applies full braking force faster than you can do it, before your foot gets all the way down. It's noticeable if you jam on the brakes when stopping at a junction etc. You kind of get the feeling that you braked hard, but not that hard so the car must have braked on your behalf if you see what I mean
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 04:11 AM   #7
nyquistcondition
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Didn't know that - the only time I've felt that effect is when the collision warning light was lit. It's a great feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 12:54 PM   #8
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep

I don't know if I've had it activate in my X1. In an X5 I drive without Driver Assist I've accidentally kicked in the brake assist because I was hesitating at an intersection that became more and more confusing as I was trying to figure out what was going on.
Appreciate 0