E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Making this car handle

11-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #23
TunasBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: e92xi

can you post pics of your car with the kw's installed? i have the same stock wheels as you and would like to see how they looked after the kw's. i am also looking at getting summer wheels and not sure if i should get the wheels first or the kws installed first?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratplaya06 View Post
I bought the xi, well, because it was a steller value, and I didn't think the handling would turn out to lack this much. My car had 3k miles and was 4 months old when I got it, and it was almost fully loaded. My sticker price was 53k and I got the car for under 42. I have access to an 07 m roadster and an 06 m5 if I ever need to thrash on a rwd car. I just want this to handle better at high speed. The only reason I compare the two (xi and m5) is because I feel the sheer mass of the m5 should make it feel more sluggish (totally not the case...the car feels very light on its feet). To everyone questioning my sanity about my m5 reference, I totally understand expecting the car to handle like a 100k m car is unreasonable. I just hope to find the best of both worlds with this car (good handling awd) especially seeing audi can sure as hell do it. I am getting the v3's installed on monday, and will post back with my observations on the stock 17" wheels/conti rft's. I know these tires will DEFINITELY hinder the handling ability of my car, but buying ps2's and rims is not the best thing to do when snow is coming. I will be putting non rft's on in the spring.

In short, I love awd. The power is huge off the line, and it's awesome in the poor weather. I just want the car to feel a little better that's all. I'll post back when I get my suspension done. My installer said I would love them and if I didn't that they would work with me until I did.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #24
J.P.
Close to bein Bannned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pussy Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassaxi View Post
Must have been quite a test drive if you couldn't tell the difference between a car you wanted and one that was PURE GARBAGE.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post
JERRYS MOM= BEST HEAD OF MY LIFE
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #25
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi-SOLD 5.0 Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunasBMW View Post
can you post pics of your car with the kw's installed? i have the same stock wheels as you and would like to see how they looked after the kw's. i am also looking at getting summer wheels and not sure if i should get the wheels first or the kws installed first?

thanks
Yeah i'll post pics when it gets done. I went to drop the car on the weekend, but they hadn't gotten the parts in. Long story short, the appointment got pushed back, and due to the holiday it won't happen until the middle of next week. Oh well...

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #26
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassaxi View Post
Must have been quite a test drive if you couldn't tell the difference between a car you wanted and one that was PURE GARBAGE.
And you must be quite the fanboy if you think it's ok to pay 40k-45k for your 328xi Ultimate Driving Machine that has the suspension and handling of a Forrd Taurus.

I guess, when you're rich, price doesn't matter, only ego.
      11-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #27
flukey
Go big or go home!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Just as an FYI... Bilstein is prepping to rollout some aftermarket shock options for E9X XIs. Pair these with the H&R XI Sport Spring and you've got an alternative to the H&R coilovers or KW V3 coilovers.
      11-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #28
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post
And you must be quite the fanboy if you think it's ok to pay 40k-45k for your 328xi Ultimate Driving Machine that has the suspension and handling of a Forrd Taurus.

I guess, when you're rich, price doesn't matter, only ego.
Dude, I'm not the one who blew $50k on a car I don't like- that was you, remember? Regardless of the price of the car or the badge on the hood, I can tell the difference between a car I like and a car I don't like during a test drive. If you can't figure that part out on your own, you're pretty much screwed.
      11-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #29
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:

thanks
EX-M1 245/35/19 (9" Rim) and 265/30/19 (10.5" Rim)
Attached Images

11-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #30
Kevin G
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

Nice. Any info on when this is happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukey View Post
Just as an FYI... Bilstein is prepping to rollout some aftermarket shock options for E9X XIs. Pair these with the H&R XI Sport Spring and you've got an alternative to the H&R coilovers or KW V3 coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #31
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:

thanks
Here's mine:

11-25-2008, 08:55 PM   #32
TunasBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Here's mine:

Jgalaxy/Kev - thanks for the pics and your cars look fantastic and I hope to have the same look with my summer tires.

I was actually asking for the OP's pics b/c it looks like he's running Style 188 wheels which is what my ride came with. Just wanted to see the drop with the "stock" wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #33
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep

Got my suspension installed today. I had them lower the car 1.25 inches front and rear. I did not want the car to be slammed. I wanted it to be low enough that the wheel gap wouldn't bother me, without sacrificing drivability. I think it looks great. Pics will come tomorrow. And to answer the questions about the 188 wheels, they definitely look better with less gap.

The handling is fantastic on the car. From what my installer said, it was on the softer side of adjustment. I think it is a firm ride, and if I didn't plan on swapping out the RFT's, i'd probably have them loosen it up a LITTLE bit. I am willing to put up with the firmer ride, because for one, it's not to the point where it's harsh. I also think that the car handles GREAT. FINALLY...I have been throwing it around corners at very high speeds and the lack of lean and the total grip is just astounding. I can't wait to see what it handles like with some 19" ps2's that I will put on in the spring.

Pics will be posted tomorrow.

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #34
TunasBMW
Private
Rep

awesome - can't wait to see it with the dropped on the 188s...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #35
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep

Here's a pic of my car. Sorry for the crappy quality...chicks started giving me weird looks as I was taking the picture haha. I'll post better ones tonight, but I think this one gives the basic idea.

I'll post a before and after, sorry for the angle difference...Damn after looking at them the black window trim really cleans the car up. Definitely recommend that haha.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #36
TunasBMW
Private
Rep

Looks good man...post some better pics when you get a chance. Makes me feel better about getting the kw's before wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #37
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
I think the xi handles ok. Its a bit bouncy for me, but its not garbage.

What does the i suspension do differently that the xi doesnt?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #38
Kevin G
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

Well, in the sport package for the I you can get sport suspension (lower springs); XIs don't have that option. Thus we turn to the aftermarket. Although I'm hoping that there will be options soon as part of the BMW Performance series.
      12-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #39
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
With the way people complain about the xi handling, i assume it has more then just different springs. If it was just springs then why cant you just buy replacement i springs and swap them out?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #40
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
I think the xi handles ok. Its a bit bouncy for me, but its not garbage.

What does the i suspension do differently that the xi doesnt?
Some folks say it is just springs. The ride in the I is functional and firm where the XI is quite floaty and bottoms out with little effort. If you use the car as a daily driver with some spirited driving from time to time I think its a fine ride.

I noticed the XI suspension poor characteristics the minute I took it off the lot. I brought it back within 10 minutes thinking it was defective. Quite the shock to find out that was how it was designed. The KWs fix that though. The $2000+ you to spend is a downer, but a must if you track.
      12-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #41
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
Some folks say it is just springs. The ride in the I is functional and firm where the XI is quite floaty and bottoms out with little effort. If you use the car as a daily driver with some spirited driving from time to time I think its a fine ride.

I noticed the XI suspension poor characteristics the minute I took it off the lot. I brought it back within 10 minutes thinking it was defective. Quite the shock to find out that was how it was designed. The KWs fix that though. The $2000+ you to spend is a downer, but a must if you track.
The front suspension is completely different from the 335i. I think that's the major contributor to the handling problem. Also that's the reason why we can't switch out the front wishbone and tension rod like the 335i for the M3 ones. I agree that the KW V3 took care of most of the problem but at a price that is quite steep.
      12-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #42
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
The front suspension is completely different from the 335i. I think that's the major contributor to the handling problem. Also that's the reason why we can't switch out the front wishbone and tension rod like the 335i for the M3 ones. I agree that the KW V3 took care of most of the problem but at a price that is quite steep.
Makes sense. It explains not being to simply swap out parts for other products easily had for the E92 335.

Still trying to find a way to dial out the last little tinsey bit of understeer. Was reading Mr. 5s approach to sways, M3 control arms and bushings, but I'm skeptical. I'd spend more money, but I'm dying to find out what really will work for an XI before I drop another dime. Very frustrating car to balance out.
      12-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #43
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

The suspension on the XI is bad, but it isn't terrible. I have enough power to boot on my XI and I think the suspension is fine for daily driving, this is with my 19" wheels and FK452s. I do hate when you hit a pot hole and you cringe because of how hard it sounds. I haven't done any suspension work, but I did swap out my 162's with RFT to some 19" Morr with FK452's and I noticed a HUGE difference. Even when I put back on my 162's for winter I noticed that the stock wheels just don't have the stability I was used to. My next step in modding will be looking at suspension options. The KWv3's come to mind first, but I don't track often, so we'll see what others bring to the table and by spring time I'll decide.

FYI, UUC does offer sway bars for the XI. The front sway is an easy DIY, while the rear will need the sub-frame dropped to be installed. IIRC, the rear sway bars that are out fit both the XI and the I. The front sway bar was the problem and UUC designed one for the XI. So I agree that the front of the car is the major problem when it comes to the XI.
      12-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #44
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
Makes sense. It explains not being to simply swap out parts for other products easily had for the E92 335.

Still trying to find a way to dial out the last little tinsey bit of understeer. Was reading Mr. 5s approach to sways, M3 control arms and bushings, but I'm skeptical. I'd spend more money, but I'm dying to find out what really will work for an XI before I drop another dime. Very frustrating car to balance out.
You have no idea how badly KW screwed this car up. Your car has more under steer than stock simply because the spring rates in the rear only increased 23 lb/in at the wheel while the front spring rate increased 100 lb/in. The pitch balance is as backward from how BMW designed it. Mr. 5 has no idea about anything to do with roll bars so how can there be an approach….the blind leading the blind sounds about right.

There is a way to fix but no going to come easily or cheaply. The root problems are in ass end with both the springs and roll bar.
Orb
Appreciate 0