THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Programming new 228i key fob

02-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
zentanker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M Sport 228i Mineral Grey

Programming new 228i key fob

I purchased a spare key from BMW. Parts counter guy assured me it was easy to program since I had a working key- he said 'takes about 30 seconds, there are videos on youtube'

After a dozen or so youtube videos later, all I have is a $300 trinket

I don't have alarm, or programmable seats or none of that. I have a fob that I simply want to lock, unlock and start the car- the only functions it supports.

I have a 2016 228i

what am I missing? The video that seemed most relevant I found indicated I should just be able to start the car while holding the spare fob to the magic spot on the side of the steering column that so far hasn't done shit... any thoughts?

Any help greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I think in the manual there is a section on copying key settings from one fob to another - I haven't tried it, but that might do the trick. Keep meaning to do this to backup my main fob settings since I'm the only driver.
Appreciate 0