BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    How many have taken their M5 to the track??

06-08-2020, 07:12 AM   #23
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

For those newbies to the track, keep in mind that you car insurance might not cover you for an accident on the track. Even if they do, And you make a claim, your premium will likely increase dramatically thereafter, if they don't otherwise drop you. The alternative is track insurance (e.g., open track; Hagerty; Lockton etc). Notwithstanding whether you have track insurance, also keep in mind that you will sign a waiver that you are responsible for your own car but no one else's so if someone crashes into you for any reason you signed a waiver that you won't hold them responsible for the damage to you or your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 08:08 AM   #24
Stealth7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: No BMWs Right Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanast View Post
For those newbies to the track, keep in mind that you car insurance might not cover you for an accident on the track. Even if they do, And you make a claim, your premium will likely increase dramatically thereafter, if they don't otherwise drop you. The alternative is track insurance (e.g., open track; Hagerty; Lockton etc). Notwithstanding whether you have track insurance, also keep in mind that you will sign a waiver that you are responsible for your own car but no one else's so if someone crashes into you for any reason you signed a waiver that you won't hold them responsible for the damage to you or your car.
Plus no liability insurance and the waiver applies (within legal limits). I believe that Track insurance is usually properly damage insurance for your car. Someone in a $500 car can hit you--pick your track day companies and run groups carefully!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 11:14 AM   #25
Archimedes65
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

The M5 is pretty amazing given it's heft, but let's be realistic. It's not keeping up with a GT3 or a 720S around a track with like drivers in all three cars. The M5 is over two seconds slower than a four year old 981 GT4 around Laguna, and barely pips it on the Nurburgring where all that power is a big advantage. And a GT3 or 720S would walk away from a 981 GT4 with like drivers.

And OP, if you don't buy track insurance, don't take anything to the track that you can't afford to toss into the dumpster on the way out without batting an eye.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #26
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes65 View Post
The M5 is pretty amazing given it's heft, but let's be realistic. It's not keeping up with a GT3 or a 720S around a track with like drivers in all three cars. The M5 is over two seconds slower than a four year old 981 GT4 around Laguna, and barely pips it on the Nurburgring where all that power is a big advantage. And a GT3 or 720S would walk away from a 981 GT4 with like drivers.

And OP, if you don't buy track insurance, don't take anything to the track that you can't afford to toss into the dumpster on the way out without batting an eye.
+1 the M5 is not in the same universe as those cars. Even a the Carrera T with only 370 hp was able to beat the M5 at VIR by over half a second and that track is made for high HP cars. Just a testament to Porsche and how hp isn’t everything.

Btw the AMG GT63S was about 5 seconds faster than the M5C at VIR and the Taycan Turbo S has already proven it can handily beat both on track.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 09:26 PM   #27
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes65 View Post
I think you misread my post. Never implied that the M5 would beat or be able to follow steadily a GT3 or a 720S... It was just loads of fun to be able to do so for sections of the track without being totally obliterated by either of them.
      06-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #28
SpeedyDad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Garage List
2003 E39 M5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjunky View Post
I did my first track day in my M5 a while ago, this is what I posted...

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1516761

I've since tracked my 2017 stock M2. The biggest difference (other than the M5 tire wear) is the brakes, M5 is way better with stock steel brakes than the M2 even though it is almost 1000lbs heavier.
The steel brakes on the M5 are absolutely incredible. Insane stopping power and zero fade. For many years, steel M brakes were medicore at best. They seemed to have righted the ship with the F90 brakes. I have not driven the CCB's but my track day proved you do not need them on this car.
Sold - 2018 M5
Appreciate 0