BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Michelin PS4S Owners: What's your winter set up?

06-11-2022, 01:52 PM   #1
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Okay, first of all, I know I'm way early seasonally on this, but I've got the opportunity to pick up my winter tires with a pretty decent discount, so I am thinking of grabbing them soon.

I have star marked OEM Michelin PS4S with 20 inch 706M wheels. I'm curious as to what other owners who got PS4Ss from the factory went with for their winter setups, especially with 706Ms or any 20 inch non aftermarket wheels.

When my previous M5 had OEM star marked Pirellis, I was able to find BMW star marked OEM Pirelli Sottozero's which seemed the the "official winter version" of the summer version. Is there something analogous for the PS4Ss?

There are dozens of winter tire threads on the forum, but I couldn't find anything about an OEM star marked PS4S winter version here, or get a clear answer when Googling. Perhaps it doesn't exist?

Thanks in advance!

— RIL
      06-11-2022, 02:38 PM   #2
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M5 / X5

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
I use the pilot sport alpin's on the 706m wheels right now. Not sure if they're starred and they're in storage now so can't check, but they've been terrific.

I plan to run the 706 as a winter rim and get a set of summers if I can find a set I like.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2022, 03:20 PM   #3
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryBark View Post
I use the pilot sport alpin's on the 706m wheels right now. Not sure if they're starred and they're in storage now so can't check, but they've been terrific.

I plan to run the 706 as a winter rim and get a set of summers if I can find a set I like.
Thank you so much for your input. That is very helpful as it seemed to me the Alpin's are the closest tire so far. When I was doing changeovers on my pre-LCI (also with 706Ms), I was having my summers taken off the 706Ms, and putting my winters on them and repeating the process for each season. I don't like any wheels as much I like the 706M, so I like to use them all year long, and purchasing a dedicated set of 706Ms to keep winter tires on didn't make sense. Do you know yet what wheel you'll put your summers on?

I really appreciate it!
      06-11-2022, 03:30 PM   #4
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Quote:

Thank you so much for your input. That is very helpful as it seemed to me the Alpin's are the closest tire so far. When I was doing changeovers on my pre-LCI (also with 706Ms), I was having my summers taken off the 706Ms, and putting my winters on them and repeating the process for each season. I don't like any wheels as much I like the 706M, so I like to use them all year long, and purchasing a dedicated set of 706Ms to keep winter tires on didn't make sense. Do you know yet what wheel you'll put your summers on?

I really appreciate it!
I'm not entirely sure yet, I'm having a hard time making up my mind. I think it will be something a little lighter in color (like darker bronze or gunmetal). For the color of my car I feel like it needs a little something to offset it. I thought about powder coating the 706s but don't think I'll go that route.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2022, 03:40 PM   #5
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I really appreciate it!
I'm not entirely sure yet, I'm having a hard time making up my mind. I think it will be something a little lighter in color (like darker bronze or gunmetal). For the color of my car I feel like it needs a little something to offset it. I thought about powder coating the 706s but don't think I'll go that route.
I'm with the camp that says if you can can find the wheels you want in their original color, to go with that over powder coating. I've seen a lot turn out really well on here, but I always avoid it if I can. They just never look as good to me personally as factory. That's why I went wit the 706Ms to begin with.

Plus, your 706Ms look incredible against your paint! Beautiful car.
      06-11-2022, 03:42 PM   #6
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
@DryBark, just saw you're in Nova Scotia. I think I'll definitely be taking your winter tire advice. Thanks again!
      06-11-2022, 03:56 PM   #7
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
@DryBark, just saw you're in Nova Scotia. I think I'll definitely be taking your winter tire advice. Thanks again!
I don't drive a ton in the winter, but these are excellent in the ice and slush. If it's snowing heavy I leave the car home - otherwise it's a snow plow and I'm hung up in a drift anyway 😂
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2022, 05:11 PM   #8
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I don't drive a ton in the winter, but these are excellent in the ice and slush. If it's snowing heavy I leave the car home - otherwise it's a snow plow and I'm hung up in a drift anyway 😂
I do have something else that I use for particularly snowy days, but usually only when the M5 can't handle it, which isn't too often. She is after all my DD.

Thank you so much again!
      06-13-2022, 12:00 PM   #9
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

I have mentioned this elsewhere, but I'm happy to repeat here that Pirelli makes a high performance snow tire, the PZero Winter. It is one of the few that is made specifically in stock sizes for the M5 and is sold by BMW dealers for the M5.

I have a set of these on my 706 wheels, which are my dedicated winter wheels. I got very little opportunity to drive in snow this winter but on cold and wet days, these tires worked very well. They also appear to have a good reputation. In general, at least on dry but cold roads, these tires were comfortable, reasonably quiet, and handled surprisingly.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 03:53 PM   #10
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post
I have mentioned this elsewhere, but I'm happy to repeat here that Pirelli makes a high performance snow tire, the PZero Winter. It is one of the few that is made specifically in stock sizes for the M5 and is sold by BMW dealers for the M5.

I have a set of these on my 706 wheels, which are my dedicated winter wheels. I got very little opportunity to drive in snow this winter but on cold and wet days, these tires worked very well. They also appear to have a good reputation. In general, at least on dry but cold roads, these tires were comfortable, reasonably quiet, and handled surprisingly.
Thank you so much for the extremely valuable input, Ira! I really appreciate it. Do you happen to know if they are star marked then? These seem like the logical alternative when looking at the Alpins.
      06-14-2022, 09:57 PM   #11
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
Thank you so much for the extremely valuable input, Ira! I really appreciate it. Do you happen to know if they are star marked then? These seem like the logical alternative when looking at the Alpins.
I looked and did not see a star mark on the tires. I don't think Pirelli makes a specific BMW model of this tire. Nonetheless, my BMW dealer was the only place in town that could get these tires in the stock sizes (275/35-20 and 285/35-20).

In fact I was shocked that the dealer got them overnight when I ordered them last November. Additionally, my dealer was happy to mount and balance these tires which was a good sign as my dealer has previously refused to install any non-BMW parts on my car, including a set of Dinan wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 10:37 PM   #12
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post
Quote:
I looked and did not see a star mark on the tires. I don't think Pirelli makes a specific BMW model of this tire. Nonetheless, my BMW dealer was the only place in town that could get these tires in the stock sizes (275/35-20 and 285/35-20).

In fact I was shocked that the dealer got them overnight when I ordered them last November. Additionally, my dealer was happy to mount and balance these tires which was a good sign as my dealer has previously refused to install any non-BMW parts on my car, including a set of Dinan wheels.
Once again, incredibly helpful input. Thank you so much. I'm going to inquire about these as well!
      06-14-2022, 11:36 PM   #13
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Winter tires? What are those?

I haven't seen winter in years.

I only have 3 seasons....
-chilly summer, this is mid December to Mid January, lasts about 30 days
-regular summer, this occurs mid January til about mid-May. It also occurs from October - mid December.
-the only other season is HELL summer. End of May until end of Sept. with a couple spurts of a mini Florida hurricane season at the end of HELL summer. Monsoon
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 06:30 AM   #14
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

That could be just as miserable as winter. I’d like yo spend more time in FL in winter but work and finances get in the way. Our son lived there for 5 years and we liked it enough that we have been going back and would like to buy a home there. We would want to be where he was, near the ocean on the Atlantic side, pretty far south.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 08:20 PM   #15
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
I don't think there is a winter star tire. Kinda would defeat the purpose I would think. The star is supposed to lend toward different performance rubbers etc which would not be as good during the winter. Plus don't think bmw would spend the money on Michelin developing something like that.

Either way Michelin makes outstanding winter tires. So does pirelli and you can't go wrong with either.

Edit: I stand corrected. There is a set for sale in the classifieds and I just zoomed in. There's a star. Lol Michelins alpine
Attached Images

'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2022, 09:50 PM   #16
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
I don't think there is a winter star tire. Kinda would defeat the purpose I would think. The star is supposed to lend toward different performance rubbers etc which would not be as good during the winter. Plus don't think bmw would spend the money on Michelin developing something like that.

Either way Michelin makes outstanding winter tires. So does pirelli and you can't go wrong with either.

Edit: I stand corrected. There is a set for sale in the classifieds and I just zoomed in. There's a star. Lol Michelins alpine
Thanks for the input and the research! I couldn't find this during my search.

I have always been under the impression that star marked tires are tires developed by the tire manufacturer by/in conjunction with BMW, whether for performance in the case of summer tires like the PZero and 4S (meaning versions of those tires for BMW), or for BMW "approved" winters. That's why I was trying to figure out what was star marked for BMW. But between your post and DryBark's, I think the Alpin route is the one I am going to take, assuming they come sized for 706Ms.

Thanks again guys!
      06-15-2022, 10:06 PM   #17
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I have always been under the impression that star marked tires are tires developed by the tire manufacturer by/in conjunction with BMW, whether for performance in the case of summer tires like the PZero and 4S (meaning versions of those tires for BMW), or for BMW "approved" winters. That's why I was trying to figure out what was star marked for BMW. But between your post and DryBark's, I think the Alpin route is the one I am going to take, assuming they come sized for 706Ms.

Thanks again guys!
They won't come in 20" for winter. The oem bmw winter set up is the set that's being sold in the image I posted.

And yes it's made with specific mods to the rubber in areas of the tire. Tread depth. Side wall stiffness, slight changes to tread design etc. but overall you won't notice a difference. I have bmw start on my 706m but wanted to run 286/295 and they don't come in 295 with the star. I don't feel one lick of difference. There's a great YouTube video talking about it. Probably only really see a difference on a track with a stop watch lol.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2022, 10:09 PM   #18
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks again guys!
They won't come in 20" for winter. The oem bmw winter set up is the set that's being sold in the image I posted.

And yes it's made with specific mods to the rubber in areas of the tire. Tread depth. Side wall stiffness, slight changes to tread design etc. but overall you won't notice a difference. I have bmw start on my 706m but wanted to run 286/295 and they don't come in 295 with the star. I don't feel one lick of difference. There's a great YouTube video talking about it. Probably only really see a difference on a track with a stop watch lol.
Yup, pretty sure mine aren't starred. I haven't ridden on the Pirellis but I'm sure you can't go wrong either way.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2022, 10:13 PM   #19
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks again guys!

Good to know, thank you for preventing me from embarking on a fool's errand. I know all winter tires decrease performance to some extent, but the Pirelli (Sottozero winters, not the Pirellis mentioned above — I know, a completely different tire) were EXTREMELY noticeable. Just didn't want that to happen again if there was anything I could do to prevent it.

Awesome that you don't feel a difference; I'm going to search for that video.

I appreciate it!
      06-15-2022, 10:15 PM   #20
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks again guys!

Yup, pretty sure mine aren't starred. I haven't ridden on the Pirellis but I'm sure you can't go wrong either way.
Thanks again for the valuable input and your help!
      06-15-2022, 10:18 PM   #21
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks again guys!

Good to know, thank you for preventing me from embarking on a fool's errand. I know all winter tires decrease performance to some extent, but the Pirelli (Sottozero winters, not the Pirellis mentioned above) were EXTREMELY noticeable. Just didn't want that to happen again if there was anything I could do to prevent it.

I appreciate it!
Just realizing you're comparing summer to winter in pirelli vs Michelin. As mentioned by maverick, I find there's not a lot of performance loss on the Alpins. I did notice a huge difference in road noise though - the alpins are far quieter than the PS4 (I thought my window was open after getting my summers out on this year).
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2022, 10:44 PM   #22
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks again guys!

Good to know, thank you for preventing me from embarking on a fool's errand. I know all winter tires decrease performance to some extent, but the Pirelli (Sottozero winters, not the Pirellis mentioned above) were EXTREMELY noticeable. Just didn't want that to happen again if there was anything I could do to prevent it.

I appreciate it!
Just realizing you're comparing summer to winter in pirelli vs Michelin. As mentioned by maverick, I find there's not a lot of performance loss on the Alpins. I did notice a huge difference in road noise though - the alpins are far quieter than the PS4 (I thought my window was open after getting my summers out on this year).
Exactly, which led me to essentially looking for "winter PS4Ss" (figuratively that is, I am aware no such thing exists) and hoping there would be something by Michelin, as a winter tire, that is star marked. Even if they're not star marked in the 20 inch size, I'm still thinking they're the "closest" (again, figuratively) to the PS4Ss for a winter tire.